How Good or Bad was our Defense,Really?

3 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

The Bills defense was completely bailed out by Philip Rivers being Philip Rivers in big games.

Ask Charger fans how Rivers does in the biggest spots. 

Perennial choke artist.

I thought Rivers was fine. He airmailed those last two passes on the sideline I guess because he didn't like the coverage and didn't want to make a risky throw. Probably like him to make the risky throws their to try to get a completion. But by that point of the game the Colts were in a pretty rough spot without the ability to complete anything in bounds. So take away those two plays Rivers was great including in the 4th quarter to bring his team back. He had a 91 QBR. Much better than his 94 passer rating. His receivers had some big time drops. Was really the only way our defense could stop them on 3rd down is if their receivers didn't make the play. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I thought Rivers was fine. He airmailed those last two passes on the sideline I guess because he didn't like the coverage and didn't want to make a risky throw. Probably like him to make the risky throws their to try to get a completion. But by that point of the game the Colts were in a pretty rough spot without the ability to complete anything in bounds. So take away those two plays Rivers was great including in the 4th quarter to bring his team back. He had a 91 QBR. Much better than his 94 passer rating. His receivers had some big time drops. Was really the only way our defense could stop them on 3rd down is if their receivers didn't make the play. 

That's all Colts O-Line and Frank Reich's offensive scheme. They controlled the game. Rivers played his role of System QB, made wide open throws with all day to throw, but left about 17 points off the scoreboard when it mattered most.

Classic Philip Rivers. He does just enough to find a way to come up just short. It's what he does.

2 weeks ago, this guy blew a 24-7 lead to Pittsburgh, preventing them from winning the division.

It's just what Philip Rivers does.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Not very good, IMO.

The Colts ran all over them and we couldn’t get off the field on 3rd downs.

Rivers seemed able to exploit the blitz at will in this game, especially on 3rd down. Our Defense definitely had that bend but don’t break feel to it yesterday.  I am happy that we lived to fight another day, and I am confident Frazier and McDermott will make the necessary adjustments for next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

See - this is going to be a narrative that just is not true and it is going to be stated numerous times no matter who we face next week.

Let’s take a second and dive into the run defense in this game. Overall the Bills gave up 163 yards on 30 carries - yep looks like they got run all over.  Now let’s take a second and look at the 4th quarter where the Bills were up multiple scores.  The Bills went back to their Nickel off ball coverage that did not focus on the run game.  They gave up 93 yards on 6 carries when not focused at all on the run.

The first 3 quarters when they played with a focus on the run - they gave up 70 yards on 24 carries about 2.9 yards per carry.  It was not like they ran all over us when the game was close. As a matter of fact in all drives that the Score was within 1 score either way - the Bills gave up a total of 78 yards on 26 carries.  They also bowed up and stopped the Indy team from running on a goal line drive and on a 2pt conversion attempt from the 1.

What this game tells me is the Bills when they want to focus on the running game they have the ability to contain the run with how they attack the line of scrimmage with their DL, LBs, and CBs.  When they move to attack mode late in the game and up 2 scores - they lose lane discipline and the LBs are not quickly filling the gaps leaving lanes to run through - then they get gashed for big games.  The 2 drives that the Bills were up 2 scores and ran a more attacking DLine style with LB and CB support dropping off for passing - they gave up 85 on 4 carries or about 50% of their rushing total on 2 drives where they were ready to let them run.

Indy is a good team and Frank got the absolute best out of Rivers in that game, but it was Rivers making good reads and quick short accurate passes that kept them in this game not the running game.  At least in my opinion 

The way I look at things, on top of what I said earlier, is the Colts were a chip shot miss, and a Frank Reich decision away from putting up 30 on is, in our own house, and they have an offense that scares nobody.

I don't know how anyone can say our defense played well. They didn't.

With saying that I fully expect much better out of them moving forward.

Edited by Beast

59 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

And Daboll - or anybody else - should NOT be allowed to interview for any job until your team is elimated from the playoffs.  This is distracting for him.  It obviously showed yesterday with the offense not being as good as it could have been yesterday.  That used to be the rule, but I think it's new Covid rules that are allowing them to interview. 

If Daboll leaves I lose all respect for him.  I don't care.  Think about it.  You grow up a Bills fan; you go have a good career in coarching all over the country.  Then you move home; back to Buffalo where he grew up a BILLS FAN; You get to be a huge key to making our team - the Bills a major contendor.  Maybe you take the Bills on to the superbowl.  Maybe you even WIN the superbowl.   You're a huge reason the Bills have come this far.....   And Then you leave?   Are you kidding me? 

That's just Ego.  

I remember when Andre Reed wanted out of Buffalo after the second Superbowl.  That was Ego.  Kelly and Thomas talked him out of it. 

You should ask to speak to the manager.

Yet more focus on the D.

How about the offense?  Not nearly as bad as the defense yesterday, but what changed yesterday relative to the last many weeks was the offense didn't slice and dice the opponent and throw touchdowns on the board at will.

We did pretty well by the end of things, but we had a lot of 3 and outs.

The formula for winning a Super Bowl, for this team, this year, is for the offense to go crazy putting up TDs and 30+ points every game, and daring opponents to keep up.

Some of these teams ahead (KC?) will be able to!  But our offense still has to do its thing.

The offense really struggled yesterday at times.   Many times.

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

Tbe way I look at things, on top of what I said earlier, is the Colts were a chip shot miss, and a Frank Reich decision away from putting up 30 on is, in our own house, and they have an offense that scares nobody.

I don't know how anyone can say our defense played well. They didn't.

With saying that I fully expect much better out of them moving forward.

The defense did not play well, but the fact is the defense held them below their season total for points and you can say the offense scares no one, but that was the #9 rated scoring offense in the league - averaging over 28 points per game - so it must have been pretty good - it obviously scared some teams as they won 11 games including beating the Packers and Titans.

The fact remains - it was not Indy’s running game that hurt the Bills - their average per rush was below 3 and they were routinely stopped for very short gains when the Bills focused on the run game.

Where the Bills struggled was in the short passing game and even that takes some looking at because the Indy TEs made a ton of contested catches right at the first down markers.  It is not like guys were running open all game - they made some great catches that converted short and mid level 3rd downs - with a Bills player on their back or with a hand in there trying to knock the ball away.

The Bills did have some major breakdowns - most notably once up 2 scores - they shifted the style they were playing and that led to some big runs and a couple of broken coverages, but they also forced the Colts to move down field in small increments most of the day and that lead to mistakes in the red zone that won the game for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The fact remains - it was not Indy’s running game that hurt the Bills - their average per rush was below 3 and they were routinely stopped for very short gains when the Bills focused on the run game.

Did....we watch the same game? Colts finished with 5+ yards per carry and absolutely gashed us on the ground all day. We did have a few TFL, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the game. 

Indianapolis Rushing

30 carries 163 yards  5.4 avg

This was easily out worst defensive performance since the Chiefs game in week 6, and probably the worst we've had all year. 

Missed tackles, blown coverages, poor coverage, no sacks, no QB pressure, poor on 3rd down, couldn't stop the run, and couldn't stop the pass. We had some good plays (couple good pass breakups, couple TFL), but we never strung those together to force a punt. The Colts offense was stopped more often by unforced errors than by good plays from the Bills defense. 

The 4th and goal is a great example. Pittman was open, Rivers had time to throw the ball, but overthrew him by about an inch. Throughout the day Rivers had time to throw the ball, but missed open receivers. The Colts must've dropped about 5 easy catches. After our defense gave up a 14 play 7+ minute drive the Colts very reliable kicker missed a 33 yard FG by about an inch. 

I'm ecstatic that we won, but if our DEF plays like that against the Chiefs they will drop 50 points on us. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

I thought that was one worst performances by a D line that I have ever seen.   I cant remember one pass rush play, not one.

Not sure what game you were watching but here have been way worse performances.  

As far as the D-Line, I think the problem stems from the lack of true a 1 Tech DT.  This forces the combination of Oliver, Butler, or Zimmer to fill that position.  IMO a better 1 Tech would allow Oliver to penetrate better from 3 Tech.  If you watched the Washington game you saw how 4 1st round linemen can beat blocking and put pressure on a QB.  

Other things to consider is that the interior OL of the Colts is probably one of the best in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Not sure what game you were watching but here have been way worse performances.  

As far as the D-Line, I think the problem stems from the lack of true a 1 Tech DT.  This forces the combination of Oliver, Butler, or Zimmer to fill that position.  IMO a better 1 Tech would allow Oliver to penetrate better from 3 Tech.  If you watched the Washington game you saw how 4 1st round linemen can beat blocking and put pressure on a QB.  

Other things to consider is that the interior OL of the Colts is probably one of the best in the NFL. 

Not having that 1 tech DT is huge.

5 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Dont forget that Taylor ran for 250 yds last week and came into the game as the hottest rb in the league. I think the game plan was to slow him down and make Rivers beat you, which is almost what happened. We wont see another RB of his talent again in the playoffs, including Henry. 

dobbins of BAL is special

and if the rookie from KC gets healthy hes good- made bills look silly when they played

4 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The amount of post game criticisms and how quickly they came is unreal.

we have played grabage QBs recently.....

this D will struggle against good qbs and running teams / especially both

We were not good. No pressure on rivers. Gave up way too many big plays. Could not hold on 3rd downs. Not a single 3 and out. Indy drops were huge. Bad decisions by Reich. We were outplayed in most categories. But we won because we have an O that score thankfully. 

3 hours ago, Pokebball said:

The Colts last two TD drives - 75 yds in 7 plays and 76 yds in 5 plays.  13 yds per play. Those two drives caused all of the coronaries. 

Gashed badly by two Hines runs , accounting for over 70 yds. on the ground. Also unable to cover any of the three TE's the Colts threw out there--- just ran wild and free the entire day. 

No pressure on Rivers (yes, the Colt's OL is excellent-- but also dinged up). DL and LB's have been weak spots all year, anchored by 1st round disappointments Oliver and Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Jukester said:

Yesterday’s game reminded me of how this defense played early in the season.  Gave up tons of yards, not getting to the QB, couldn’t get off the field on third down, couldn’t force turnovers, letting them answer quickly after we score, all propped up by our offense.

HOWEVER, they made clutch plays when needed. The goal line stand, the drive at the end. Technically we did force a turnover.

It was absolutely identical to the way our D played leading up to the Seattle game. We struggled stopping the run and generating sacks or turnovers. We made a valiant stand on that last drive but let's not kid ourselves.  Drops and missed kicks by Indy and a Williams recovery saved our day. 

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Did....we watch the same game? Colts finished with 5+ yards per carry and absolutely gashed us on the ground all day. We did have a few TFL, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the game. 

Indianapolis Rushing

30 carries 163 yards  5.4 avg

This was easily out worst defensive performance since the Chiefs game in week 6, and probably the worst we've had all year. 

Missed tackles, blown coverages, poor coverage, no sacks, no QB pressure, poor on 3rd down, couldn't stop the run, and couldn't stop the pass. We had some good plays (couple good pass breakups, couple TFL), but we never strung those together to force a punt. The Colts offense was stopped more often by unforced errors than by good plays from the Bills defense. 

The 4th and goal is a great example. Pittman was open, Rivers had time to throw the ball, but overthrew him by about an inch. Throughout the day Rivers had time to throw the ball, but missed open receivers. The Colts must've dropped about 5 easy catches. After our defense gave up a 14 play 7+ minute drive the Colts very reliable kicker missed a 33 yard FG by about an inch. 

I'm ecstatic that we won, but if our DEF plays like that against the Chiefs they will drop 50 points on us. 

Yes either you watched a different game or don’t really understand how things work.

So the fact the through 3 quarters when the game was within 1 score the Colts had run for 70 yards on 24 carries (or 2.9 yards per carry) you believe has no bearing at all.  Once the Bills got up by 2 scores in the 4th quarter and shifted how the defense was playing - the Bills gave up 82 yards on 3 carries.  

The Colts got over 60% of their rushing yards on 3 rushes in the 4th quarter when down by 2 scores. 

So yes the overall numbers look bad, but through the first 3 quarters - no they were not getting run over at all.