How Good or Bad was our Defense,Really?

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They bent but didn’t break but they also gave up a ridiculous amount of third downs

This is the lemonade.  Between the twenties, the Colt's offense had their way with the Bill's defense.  The Bill's defense does better with the shorter field, inside their own 20.

This defense just doesn't make me feel good!

1 minute ago, Irish Dave said:

I'm 50; I went through the 90s teams and this win feels like the Bills AFC championship win against Denver.  We won 10-7.  Our amazing No Huddle was stopped all day and we only won because of a Defensive TD (Carlton Baily I think?).   Just like then, I feel strangely unfulfilled about the win; probably because it was a win - and a win is a win; and all that; and it's the playoff football and bla bla bla -  it was not a convincing win like we've had the past few weeks.  If that FG goes in, and/or the 4th and goal is a TD, that's 10 points the Colts SHOULD have scored.  The Defense had it's good and bad moments yes - but it was WHEN the bad moments happened that hurt.  Right after we scored, we let THEM march down and score.  Twice.  Those are the drives where you really put teams away.  You score and then you Stop them on the next drive; you don't let them answer.  But we let them.  Twice.  We let them keep coming.  Yes, of course there are reasons.  My wife can't understand whey I'm not super happy about the win; and these are the reasons why!  Because being totally honest, we got lucky a lot of the time.

The Denver AFCC win is a great comp, actually.  

Just now, Green Lightning said:

You choked, nobody is buying your lame posts.

This is classic Philip Rivers; he fools gullible people like yourself and others. 

You're proving my point.

That was the most Philip Rivers loss ever.

He has an unbelievable knack for coming up short when it matters most.

In Week 16, he had a 24-7 lead against the Steelers and choked that game away as well.

Rivers pulled off his best 'Tom Brady with the Patriots' impression yesterday. Not much any defense can do when his decision-making, accuracy, and quick throwing is on that level behind that line.

Will say that Milano had one of his worst games on the season and I would have expected Hughes/Addision to beat Veldheer more often considering he was out of the NFL until a couple weeks ago. Also interesting when looking at the box score that AJ Klein didn't register a single tackle or stat of any kind. Wonder if he got many snaps or what that's about, thought he could have helped us in this game near the LoS.

On the plus side, we limited Jonathan Taylor to 78 yards and 3.7 YPC which is impressive considering how on fire he was this past month. Also took away TY Hilton (2 catches for 32 yards). 

15 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Well...I “simply” was...

You just cherry picked a few negatives. What about all the good throws and no turnovers?  Rivers played well. 

And that fourth down throw hit Pittman in both hands. It was a very good throw off his back foot. I’d argue that Rivers looked as good yesterday as he had all year. Kudos to him...

I cherrypicked the BIGGEST plays of the game where Rivers left 17 points off the scoreboard?

That is the WHOLE point. Doh!

1 minute ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

This is classic Philip Rivers; he fools gullible people like yourself and others. 

You're proving my point.

That was the most Philip Rivers loss ever.

He has an unbelievable knack for coming up short when it matters most.

In Week 16, he had a 24-7 lead against the Steelers and choked that game away as well.

And your choking continues. Doubling down on dumb is no way to go through life son.

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Well...you are in the minority thinking Rivers choked. That’s all I’m gonna say...

I was also in the minority saying Josh Allen was the best player in the 2018 Draft, before the draft.

How did that turn out?

Just now, Green Lightning said:

And your choking continues. Doubling down on dumb is no way to go through life son.

Take the L and move on.

Rivers left 17 points off the scoreboard.

17 points. 

He choked.

And Daboll - or anybody else - should NOT be allowed to interview for any job until your team is elimated from the playoffs.  This is distracting for him.  It obviously showed yesterday with the offense not being as good as it could have been yesterday.  That used to be the rule, but I think it's new Covid rules that are allowing them to interview. 

If Daboll leaves I lose all respect for him.  I don't care.  Think about it.  You grow up a Bills fan; you go have a good career in coarching all over the country.  Then you move home; back to Buffalo where he grew up a BILLS FAN; You get to be a huge key to making our team - the Bills a major contendor.  Maybe you take the Bills on to the superbowl.  Maybe you even WIN the superbowl.   You're a huge reason the Bills have come this far.....   And Then you leave?   Are you kidding me? 

That's just Ego.  

I remember when Andre Reed wanted out of Buffalo after the second Superbowl.  That was Ego.  Kelly and Thomas talked him out of it. 

9 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

we played some pretty bad offenses (Niners,  Broncos, Fish,  Pats) at end of season to make our D look better than they really are.

I worry about our D.  Running D is bad,  lack of pass rush.  No way we would be able to beat KC with the D that was out there yesterday.

The run defense wasn't that bad yesterday. They held Jonathan Taylor under 4yds per carry. The problem is when we got up this time Frazier/McD seemingly went into prevent mode again. They gave up a bunch of chunk plays with a lead, which padded their rushing stats, and allowed two 2-minute scoring drives to let them back in it. When it was necessary our guys came through again. Should have been with a fumble recovery and a kneel down, but instead it was Hyde knocking down a Hail Mary. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Irish Dave said:

And Daboll - or anybody else - should NOT be allowed to interview for any job until your team is elimated from the playoffs.  This is distracting for him.  It obviously showed yesterday with the offense not being as good as it could have been yesterday.  That used to be the rule, but I think it's new Covid rules that are allowing them to interview. 

If Daboll leaves I lose all respect for him.  I don't care.  Think about it.  You grow up a Bills fan; you go have a good career in coarching all over the country.  Then you move home; back to Buffalo where he grew up a BILLS FAN; You get to be a huge key to making our team - the Bills a major contendor.  Maybe you take the Bills on to the superbowl.  Maybe you even WIN the superbowl.   You're a huge reason the Bills have come this far.....   And Then you leave?   Are you kidding me? 

That's just Ego.  

I remember when Andre Reed wanted out of Buffalo after the second Superbowl.  That was Ego.  Kelly and Thomas talked him out of it. 

If our assistants aren't being pursued, they're not very good assistants.  This is a double edged sword.  I want our coaches to be hot commodities.

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

I was also in the minority saying Josh Allen was the best player in the 2018 Draft, before the draft.

How did that turn out?

Take the L and move on.

Rivers left 17 points off the scoreboard.

17 points. 

He choked.

Triples down on dumb. Could be a record going here!

Just now, H2o said:

The run defense wasn't that bad yesterday. They held Jonathan Taylor under 4yds per carry. The problem is when we got up this time Frazier/McD seemingly went into prevent mode again. They gave up a bunch of chunk plays with a lead, which padded their rushing stats, and allowed two 2-minute scoring drives to let them back in it. When it was necessary our guys came through again. Should have been with a fumble recovery and a kneel down, but instead it was Hyde knocking down a Hail Mary. 

The run D was passable against Taylor, but horrible against Hines.

The RBs had 27 carries for 153 yards, which is 5.67 ypc 

7 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

That's just Ego.  

His dream is to be a HC, he deserves to pursue that dream 

Get real 

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The 4th and goal should have been caught.

Yes but it was also poorly thrown 

The colts had quite a few drops, I would say they did a better job stopping themselves than our defense 

Our defense basically sucked yesterday and were bailed out by Allen and colts miscues in the red zone