How Good or Bad was our Defense,Really?

36 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

That’s not what I saw at all...Rivers was really good. 

Then you simply were not paying attention.

1) Overthrown pass on 4th and Goal. Cost them 7 points.

2) Threw behind the WR on the critical 3rd-and-7 before the shanked FG. Cost them 7 points.

3) 1st-and-10 at the Buffalo 46 yard line needing a FG to tie...Rivers fails to move the Offense into FG range.

Choke Artist.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Rivers choked yesterday. I think Reich and his skill players did. The Colts outcoached the Bills scheme wise but Sean outcoached Frank in game management.

The bolded isn't all on the D. Dreadful special teams played into that too.

You're wrong. Rivers choked. See my last post. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Rivers choked yesterday. I think Reich and his skill players did. The Colts outcoached the Bills scheme wise but Sean outcoached Frank in game management.

The bolded isn't all on the D. Dreadful special teams played into that too.

True, certainly not ALL on the defense, but if they forced a 3 and out or two...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

The Bills defense was completely bailed out by Philip Rivers being Philip Rivers in big games.

Ask Charger fans how Rivers does in the biggest spots. 

Perennial choke artist.

The three passes to the sideline at the end of the game were atrocious. There was no actual effort or play design. 

Not sure if it’s on Rivers or Reich, but 3 plays in a row where you just sail the ball out of bounds, is unacceptable in the NFL. They needed 11 for a first down, and maybe 15-17 yards for a FG? The Bills Defense did a good job i suppose of defending the sidelines, but if you’re the QB, you’ve got to do something better than that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

2) Threw behind the WR on the critical 3rd-and-7 before the shanked FG. Cost them 7 points.

3) 1st-and-10 at the Buffalo 46 yard line needing a FG to tie...Rivers fails to move the Offense into FG range.

Choke Artist.

The 4th and goal should have been caught.

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Choke Artist.

He carved us up and coverted a ridiculous amout of 3rd & 4th and longs. With no time outs and seconds left sideline throws were his only option, and we covered them. His receivers dropped key passes and even the missed TD toss hit his receiver's hands. What game were you watching? 

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Extremely bad, the Defense had luck on there side. The Bills would have lost the game of not for a couple of wide open drops that would have put this team behind in the score. This defense needs to fix it's problems ASAP.

They sure weren't playing up to their capabilities at times it looked like they were confused as to what call to make . I saw Edmonds more than once looking very confused before the snap like he just didn't know what to call need to get that fixed or it will be a short play off run .

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

He carved us up and coverted a ridiculous amout of 3rd & 4th and longs. With no time outs and seconds left sideline throws were his only option, and we covered them. His receivers dropped key passes and even the missed TD toss hit his receiver's hands. What game were you watching? 

The game where Philip Rivers choked the game away, as he usually does in big games.

The missed TD toss was an overthrown ball.

He threw behind Pittman right before the missed FG. Would have been a 1st down and likely TD.

Everyone remember the 49ers game? Where Allen destroyed the 9ers because they got no pressure. That's exactly what happened in this game except Rivers isn't Allen. Bills #1 prioirity in the offseason will be a DE. No pressure at all on Rivers. If you blitz he does a quick release to a WR, if you don't blitz he has all day to throw. This entire game was the Colt's best unit (OLine) dominating the Bills worst unit (DLine). They controlled the clock because of it and limited Allen. Except for GB and NO I don't know if you see an OLine that dominant. The Browns probably have the best OLine remaining

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Choke Artist.

Well...I “simply” was...

You just cherry picked a few negatives. What about all the good throws and no turnovers?  Rivers played well. 

And that fourth down throw hit Pittman in both hands. It was a very good throw off his back foot. I’d argue that Rivers looked as good yesterday as he had all year. Kudos to him...

Just now, JoshAllenReceipts said:

The game where Philip Rivers choked the game away, as he usually does in big games.

The missed TD toss was an overthrown ball.

He threw behind Pittman right before the missed FG. Would have been a 1st down and likely TD.

Two plays? Wow, by your standard every one choked yesterday. What, did Rivers insult your mom or something? He executed a near perfect game plan yesterday.  If their kicker doesn't doink a gimme we'd have been in OT. Thank God for Josh, Diggs and Bass.

• Like (+1) 2

I posted in another thread, but probably more appropriate in this one:

Some of you will hate this take... but I think our defense was ‘regaining its form’ in the late part of the season because of who we were playing. Look at the final several games where we won pretty convincingly... I wouldn’t call any of them offensive powerhouses: SF without their QB and Kittle, NE w/Cam and no one, Miami w/Tua, Pittsburgh w/injuries and sputtering offensive play, Denver....

Maybe a false sense of security. 

Our D did not fare well against strong offenses (even in wins): Tennessee, KC and Arizona beat us. Seattle hung 34 on us (thank you for that win, Josh).  Rams were a questionable PI call from a comeback win after total defensive meltdown in second half. 

Good news is we’re finding ways to come out with wins!  But in my opinion our defense needs some major help, mostly on the line, so we can stop having to put all of the pressure on Josh.  The games continue to get tougher now. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Well...I “simply” was...

You just cherry picked a few negatives. What about all the good throws and no turnovers?  Rivers played well. 

And that fourth down throw hit Pittman in both hands. It was a very good throw off his back foot. I’d argue that Rivers looked as good yesterday as he had all year. Kudos to him...

There is no point debating him. His shtick is arrive with hot take and then just belligerently repeat it regardless of the debate. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is no point debating him. His shtick is arrive with hot take and then just belligerently repeat it regardless of the debate. 

I was wondering, because to say Rivers stunk and choked yesterday is completely ridiculous. He had a great game. All qbs miss throws every game.

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Two plays? Wow, by your standard every one choked yesterday. What, did Rivers insult your mom or something? He executed a near perfect game plan yesterday.  If their kicker doesn't doink a gimme we'd have been in OT. Thank God for Josh, Diggs and Bass.

1st and 10 at the Bills 46 yard line.

Rivers needs 10 yards to get into FG range.

On 4 downs, Rivers did this:

1) -1 yard completion (terrible decision to even throw behind the LOS there)

2) Terrible pass incompletion

3) Terrible pass incompletion

4) Terrible pass incompletion

He choked.

If you followed Rivers for his entire career, you would know that he choked in the most classic Philip Rivers fashion.

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

I was wondering, because to say Rivers stunk and choked yesterday is completely ridiculous. He had a great game. All qbs miss throws every game.

Rivers choked. It's a fact.

He's done this his whole career.

He tricks and fools people like you.

Just now, JoshAllenReceipts said:

1st and 10 at the Bills 46 yard line.

Rivers needs 10 yards to get into FG range.

On 4 downs, Rivers did this:

1) -1 yard completion (terrible decision to even throw behind the LOS there)

2) Terrible pass incompletion

3) Terrible pass incompletion

4) Terrible pass incompletion

He choked.

If you followed Rivers for his entire career, you would know that he choked in the most classic Philip Rivers fashion.

Ha, you are very limited my friend. I will leave you and your failed hate posts for others to also dismiss. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

It wasn't the defense of the previous few games for sure, but the Playoffs are completely different monster. Teams are fighting for everything out there because it's win or go home. Our guys made enough plays to win and that's all that matters. On to the next Won..... hopefully. Go Bills!!!

we played some pretty bad offenses (Niners,  Broncos, Fish,  Pats) at end of season to make our D look better than they really are.

I worry about our D.  Running D is bad,  lack of pass rush.  No way we would be able to beat KC with the D that was out there yesterday.

I'm 50; I went through the 90s teams and this win feels like the Bills AFC championship win against Denver.  We won 10-7.  Our amazing No Huddle was stopped all day and we only won because of a Defensive TD (Carlton Baily I think?).   Just like then, I feel strangely unfulfilled about the win; probably because it was a win - and a win is a win; and all that; and it's playoff football and bla bla bla -  but it was not a convincing win like we've had the past few weeks.  If that FG goes in, and/or the 4th and goal is a TD, that's 10 points the Colts SHOULD have scored.  The Defense had it's good and bad moments yes - but it was WHEN the bad moments happened that hurt.  Right after we scored, we let THEM march down and score.  Twice.  Those are the drives where you really put teams away.  You score and then you Stop them on the next drive; you don't let them answer.  But we let them.  Twice.  We let them keep coming.  Yes, of course there are reasons.  My wife can't understand whey I'm not super happy about the win; and these are the reasons why!  Because being totally honest, we got lucky a lot of the time.

Edited by Irish Dave
  • Like (+1) 1