How Good or Bad was our Defense,Really?

I thought that the Colts had their way with our defense pretty much three quarters of that game.

But,the score doesn't reflect that conclusion.

So,after finding out that the Colts became first team in NFL playoff history to do this" Indy's 27-24 loss to the Bills in the wild-card round, the Colts became the first team in NFL playoff history to lose after turning the ball over zero times AND totaling 450 or more yards of offense. Before Saturday, that exact situation had happened a total of 11 times ever and those teams had combined to go 11-0. The crazy part is that none of the other games were even particularly close as those 11 teams won by an average of 21.3 points."

I guess I can cut the Defense a lot of slack!

Go Bills!

Extremely bad, the Defense had luck on there side. The Bills would have lost the game of not for a couple of wide open drops that would have put this team behind in the score. This defense needs to fix it's problems ASAP.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s a game of inches and a few key plays went our way.

When you are dominated in the trenches good things happen for the other team.

McD helped at the end with a key timeout before they completed a pass nearly into FG territory. The Colt O looked uncharacteristically discombobulated on the next 2 throws before the Hail Mary.

• Like (+1) 2

Yesterday’s game reminded me of how this defense played early in the season.  Gave up tons of yards, not getting to the QB, couldn’t get off the field on third down, couldn’t force turnovers, letting them answer quickly after we score, all propped up by our offense.

HOWEVER, they made clutch plays when needed. The goal line stand, the drive at the end. Technically we did force a turnover.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was pretty bad.  The Colts were 9/17 on 3rd down and 2/4 on 4th down.  The Bills could not put pressure on Rivers with a 4 man rush and when they blitzed Rivers lit them up.   

It was really disheartening when they gave up TDs after the Bills scored to make it 24 - 10, and then 27 - 16.   They were gashed on those 2 drives.  Probably gassed for being on the field so much. 

But the Colts wasted so much time on the last possession of the game.  Rather pathetic.  Don't get me started on the fumble that wasn't a fumble.

• Like (+1) 1

It wasn't the defense of the previous few games for sure, but the Playoffs are completely different monster. Teams are fighting for everything out there because it's win or go home. Our guys made enough plays to win and that's all that matters. On to the next Won..... hopefully. Go Bills!!!

I was doing some reading on O line Rankings and Rivers is one of the least sacked Qb, least hit Qb all season. Part of this also due to his quick release.

I am now thinking this may have been the worst matchup for Our defense.

Our front four is built on speed and to get home with pressure. When we can’t even sniff the Qb it hurts us at the second level. 

I think we struggle against the teams that have focused on building big stout olines. 

The Bills could have lost the game if it weren't for the efforts of the 2021 Josh Allen.  We would have certainly lost if we only had the 2019/2020 version of him.  My expectation is that our defense cannot be expected to win us any games, but at best only keep us from losing them.

The Colts are a really good team and if they still had Andrew Luck, we would have lost.  This defense may get us past a Pittsburgh match-up, but I see no hope of them stopping a Kansas City offense.  

The d line experiment has failed. We spent a lot of money for not a lot of results. Beane is going to have to get really creative to fix this.

We have tons of needs:

Second cb

Linebackers (depending on Milano and when you give up on Edmunds or decide hes not worth a real pro bowlers money)

Dline

O line( people that can run block and pass block)

Running back( we need at least a speed player there to split carries)

Tight end ( knox is not consistent enough)

We don't have the money to resign certain guys, I hope I'm wrong or the off-season without covvid maybe magically makes this work, but if our defense plays like dog doo just because star opts out - that is not a good plan going forward to rely on one guy that much

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dont forget that Taylor ran for 250 yds last week and came into the game as the hottest rb in the league. I think the game plan was to slow him down and make Rivers beat you, which is almost what happened. We wont see another RB of his talent again in the playoffs, including Henry. 

17 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

The Bills defense was completely bailed out by Philip Rivers being Philip Rivers in big games.

Ask Charger fans how Rivers does in the biggest spots. 

Perennial choke artist.

May be true of the biggest spots...but in the next biggest spots he's pretty solid.  He was 3-0 in wildcard games before yesterday.