Josh - Whatever is ‘past elite’

TroutDog

From the Athletic (pay wall):

https://theathletic.com/2312960/2021/01/09/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-first-playoff-win/?source=user_shared_article

Josh is now truly elite. The type of jump he has made from last year to this has never happened before. On top of that, the players around him recognize it (and, I trust, those of us who watch do as well). 

“Josh is the best football player on the planet right now,” Lee Smith said. “Elite isn’t even the right word. He’s passed elite.”

“Allen averaged 3.24 seconds from snap to throw. Rivers averaged 2.52 seconds from snap to throw. When Allen took more than three seconds from the snap to throw the ball, he completed 13 of 18 attempts for 204 yards and both of his touchdown passes. Rivers in that same scenario was 3-for-9 passing for 54 yards and a touchdown.

“He gets us out of a lot of bad situations,” Jon Feliciano said.

Said Cole Beasley: “That’s what makes us hard to contain. It’s him. He’s a big difference-maker. He’s the engine that makes this thing run. We just have to do our best to be as good as him.””

“He’s such a different player mentally this year than he was last year and he’s been it all year,” Beasley said. “So it’s still the same from the season to the playoffs. That’s who he is. We’re going to follow him everywhere he goes because we know he’s everything we need to get there. We have to protect him as much as possible and do everything we can to make it easy on him because it’s rare when you have players like that.”

Said Dawkins: “If I could put it in one phrase, lasered in, dialed in, just extremely focused. He was like, ‘Nah, we’re not walking off this field with a loss.’ I saw it and felt it in Josh’s emotions, how he was calling calls, how his progression was. He went on the field with a ‘kill or be killed’ mentality.”

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

https://theathletic.com/2312960/2021/01/09/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-first-playoff-win/?source=user_shared_article

Josh is now truly elite. The type of jump he has made from last year to this has never happened before. On top of that, the payers around him recognize it (and, I trust, those of us who watch do as well). 

“Josh is the best football player on the planet right now,” Lee Smith said. “Elite isn’t even the right word. He’s passed elite.”

“Allen averaged 3.24 seconds from snap to throw. Rivers averaged 2.52 seconds from snap to throw. When Allen took more than three seconds from the snap to throw the ball, he completed 13 of 18 attempts for 204 yards and both of his touchdown passes. Rivers in that same scenario was 3-for-9 passing for 54 yards and a touchdown.

Said Cole Beasley: “That’s what makes us hard to contain. It’s him. He’s a big difference-maker. He’s the engine that makes this thing run. We just have to do our best to be as good as him.””

“He’s such a different player mentally this year than he was last year and he’s been it all year,” Beasley said. “So it’s still the same from the season to the playoffs. That’s who he is. We’re going to follow him everywhere he goes because we know he’s everything we need to get there. We have to protect him as much as possible and do everything we can to make it easy on him because it’s rare when you have players like that.”

Said Dawkins: “If I could put it in one phrase, lasered in, dialed in, just extremely focused. He was like, ‘Nah, we’re not walking off this field with a loss.’ I saw it and felt it in Josh’s emotions, how he was calling calls, how his progression was. He went on the field with a ‘kill or be killed’ mentality.”

How can you not love it?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

Legendary is past elite. But he isn't legendary yet. He needs to go win the superbowl.

I’m not sure if you’re catching the point. Lee was simply saying that Josh is smashing all boundaries...and, looking at his stats today and the the year, I would agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Josh is now truly elite. The type of jump he has made from last year to this has never happened before. On top of that, the players around him recognize it (and, I trust, those of us who watch do as well). 

"One's not good enough for us," Allen said. "We've got to find a way to put our best foot forward this week and get another one."

JA

• Like (+1) 1

Allen carried the Bills today. Minus the unsuccessful run-check on 3rd-and-1 (after two consecutive runs) that looks to have maybe been his call at the line, and the 2019 wild card-esque killer sack in the 4th quarter (taking them out of field goal range, right?)...minus those two plays, Allen was better than the Colts.

Allen WAS the Bills offense today.

Not only was he their entire running game, but ALSO, some of his biggest passing plays were made off structure, when the Colts had our play-call stopped dead to rights and Josh just made something happen. The scoring drive before the half that put us up 14-10, for instance, was all Josh (with a little help from Gabriel "toe drag swag" Davis). 

I forget where I read it recently, but it's true: He's gone from being a quarterback you can win with, to being a quarterback you win BECAUSE OF. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

The scoring drive before the half that put us up 14-10, for instance, was all Josh

Those two throws he made to the sideline on that drive were perfect examples of why you have to defend more than every inch of green against this offense.

Just filthy....

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

The Bills do not win this game today without Allen playing at an elite level. I just finished watching the game again. He was everything you want in a franchise QB. We are fortunate to have him.

I always think of this in business terms...

You buy an entity, book valued at $B+, and you want to ensure growth for 10-15 yrs. Good for you.

In this particular space, your COO is the most important position for future value. You get to pick him; good on you again.

One catch: he's not going to be much older than freaking 22, and even chance he will fail big time.

So Pegulas take the plunge, on a young'n many took to be a long shot.

And they end up with this driven yet humble 24-yr old,  expertly guiding their now $2B (Bills only) enterprise!

Imagine the faith (and trust) that took.

And one more thing son: the stock price is going through the roof.

Josh Allen looked like Superstar LeBron James of QBs with his skills and stats. Unbelievable. Not "passed Elite" yet. Just win the next playoff game. Don't f*ck it up. Josh almost handed the game to the Colts near the end there with that near fatal fumble.

JA17 is a Top 3 NFL Superstar QB. Keep it up. Work hard. Stay humble and he WILL be NUMBER ONE.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin