A Few Thoughts About the Colt Playoff Game, in no particular order

Virgil

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s definitely not easy, I get why you both loved it and then took a break. 

And thank you 

I could be wrong, but were our defensive backs covering the TE’s more often than not?   

And until the 4th quarter, we did a solid job against the run. 

I could be wrong on both, but I usually make notes on big plays of who made the miss and it was rarely the LB’s in coverage. 

No doubt that was a factor too! It is probably "all of the above" ( a few poor plays, miss-communication at time, a few missed tackles, wrong scheme, and some great calls by the Colts, etc.). The Colts had a great plan, good enough to keep them in the game. Hopefully it is correctable. .... But again, really appreciate you (and Bill) for doing this each year. It truly is a highlight, especially after a win! 👍 😀 👋

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColeB said:

Sacks aren’t as important as getting constant pressure so the QB knows they are there and forces him to get rid of it quicker.  They accomplished that a few teams, including that one end zone misfired pass.

Great summary by Virgil as usual.  One addition: Josh made a bonehead play that lost 23 yards and almost possession of the ball but he did not have a meltdown or play hero ball trying to make up for it.  They got a few yards on 2nd and 3rd down and then kicked it away.

I thought he might have been a little rattled, he had an open 20 yard out on his right the next play and one-hopped it. It’s the throw he’s been making all year and would have put them in 3rd-and-maybe at least.

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I could be wrong, but were our defensive backs covering the TE’s more often than not?   

There were a solid handful of plays where Tre was on a TE where I thought, hm, that’s unusual.

• Like (+1) 1

Great summary...

Absolutely the BEST thing to happen to the Bills was to get their first playoff win with a group of young guys in a gut wrenching game against a good team that came down to the last play.  That's playoff experience.  Beating a team handily does not happen often in the playoffs.  The closeness of this game also highlighted Josh's talent and put him solidly at the top of the league for the position.  If you're going to win the Superbowl, you need that guy.  We have him. 

Two things on defense...

1.) Poor tackling on defense allowed multiple big plays to develop.  Many of the longer runs should have been stopped much earlier.  This D was not communicating and was not "flying around" like they have been. 

2.) Lack of a consistent pass rusher is evident.  We have to fill that hole.  A team can get away with blitzing lesser teams and look good.  As soon as you start blitzing a good line with a good QB, you are exposed.  We have to be able to rush 4 and get pressure.  It was always the key to beating Brady and it's a key to beating good teams with good offensive units.  

And...special teams

3.) Besides Bass, we lost on special teams.  That doesn't usually happen to us, but it did yesterday.  

We are in a great spot.  This team saw the reality of playoff football yesterday and they will now take that experience into the divisional round.  Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1