A Few Thoughts About the Colt Playoff Game, in no particular order

Virgil

I think that I prefer 39Levi to 29Norman.   Couldn't figure why 29Norman was getting so many snaps

I think that Colts played extremely well.  Especially with the field position advantage throughout the first half

I was very frustrated that we could never get home to Rivers and he kept shot putting those lopsided ducks to the tight ends for first downs.

The Colts meanwhile had constant pressure on Josh.

I have been thinking that the draft class has been good.  13Gabriel and 2Tyler are real good.   ZMoss20 made a huge contribution,  57 is coming on a little bit, and Dane Jackson has been pretty good when called upon.

For anyone who Billieves the time is now and the Bills can rise to grasp that destiny - well I would second that emotion 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Chuck Schick said:

Edmunds played very well.   Milano wasn’t terrible but was a bit out of synch on some key plays

OMG please tell me how Edmunds played well.  He had one pass break up.  He had another play where it looked like he broke up the pass but in fact it was just a drop by the TE.  He missed the TFL on 4th and 1 on the final drive.  He was blown out of the hole on most of the Colts rushes.  He was really really bad again today.   

• Haha (+1) 1

Defensive line struggled, compounded by poor overall tackling. I recall Tre missed 3 tackles that turned into big gains plus a blown assignment on the Doyle TD. Made a huge play during the last drive though!

IMO Daboll  struggled with PC today. No screens to RB’s or Knox, zero misdirection and far too often calling QB sweeps to the short side of the field. Smoke was almost invisible today. 

Feels like Singletary looks slower this year.  Gonna need him to step up next week with Moss out.

A win in the playoffs is always hard and glad the team was able get the W despite today’s struggles.

Still pissed off though on the fumble that everyone knows happened EXCEPT the NFL officials. RIDICULOUS 

Tip of the hat to a strong Colts team.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Just now, CNYfan said:

I think that I prefer 39Levi to 29Norman.   Couldn't figure why 29Norman was getting so many snaps

I think that Colts played extremely well.  Especially with the field position advantage throughout the first half

I was very frustrated that we could never get home to Rivers and he kept shot putting those lopsided ducks to the tight ends for first downs.

I have been thinking that the draft class has been good.  13Gabriel and 2Tyler are real good.   ZMoss20 made a huge contribution,  57 is coming on a little bit, and Dane Jackson has been pretty good when called upon.

For anyone who Billieves the time is now and the Bills can rise to grasp that destiny - well I would second that emotion 

Same reason Gore got so many carries last year.  McD like the vets.  

Levi is the better corner but in this case, Norman might be the better run defender at CB.  I've not seen enough of Norman to know so I will give the benft of doubt to McD on that one.

It will be interesting to see if they go with Yeldon the vet but in McD doghouse or Williams the young PS player who falshed against an already defeated Miami defense.  Earlier in the year he went with Yeldon against Tenn.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

OMG please tell me how Edmunds played well.  He had one pass break up.  He had another play where it looked like he broke up the pass but in fact it was just a drop by the TE.  He missed the TFL on 4th and 1 on the final drive.  He was blown out of the hole on most of the Colts rushes.  He was really really bad again today.   

I saw Edmunds making solid run stops in the middle gaps and playing the pass more assertively than we've seen prior. I thought he had a much more impactful game than Milano, who seemed to have some unusual difficulty blitzing and covering. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Edmunds and Milano led the team in tackles. YES they missed some plays but if our secondary led the team in tackles that would validate if our LB’s played poorly.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Did you miss the TD to Doyle wide open? Milano passed him off to nobody 

I believe Tre was at fault there, not Milano.  Tre broke toward the middle of the field where the safety already was, rather than staying outside with that receiver.  

• Like (+1) 4

With regards to #1 easy way for the Bills to stop Indy from milking the clock, score more points and stop Indy on occasion.  Did Indy ever go 3 and out this game?  Think the Bills were too conservative in the 1st half, maybe it was due to their poor field position or just got to cute.  One drive I recall they ran for 8 yards on 1st down, then on both 2nd and 3rd ran again and think they may have even lost a yard or two.

Was talking with someone else who thought that considering the Bills didn't seem to be able to stop Indy, they actually hurt themselves by milking the clock.  If they had ran plays faster, they may have had more scoring chances.

Think the Bills should use their first round pick on a CB, wondering if they did that, could they move Wallace into the nickel position or would his skills not line up?  Or do we need to get a replacement for T Johnson.  Seems he's very up and down.  Just about when you're ready to give up on him, he has a good game again.

Agree with Bill Cowlers post game comments, Bills need to:

Run the ball better

Stop the run

Rush the passer

I'll add defend the TE

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Thanks Heinz57....:))

Nice summary. I agree, though the bills offense was never in rhythm they still made alot of plays, something good teams do that infuriates the other team. Glad we got the win, 25 years is a long time and a whole lotta monkey on the ole back... 

On to the next round. 

Edited by foreboding

17 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I saw Edmunds making solid run stops in the middle gaps and playing the pass more assertively than we've seen prior. I thought he had a much more impactful game than Milano, who seemed to have some unusual difficulty blitzing and covering. 

yeah... I noticed on at least a couple plays Milano seemed to try and take a strange roundabout path to the guy with the ball instead of just going and tackling him.

Thanks for the write up. Especially liked the part about the “final boss”.

I believe that McKenzie must have still been ailing today. He was well enough to be active, but not well enough to contribute. Maybe he re-aggravated the ankle early.

His absence meant that the entire jet sweep element he presents went out the window. 

Here’s hoping he gets better by next week’s game. He makes the Bills offense more diverse and more potent.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Couldn't figure why 29Norman was getting so many snaps

He's a more physical corner and I imagine the Bills liked him out there at times to defend a run heavy attack

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Milano was one of the few defenders to consistently make plays.  Edmunds was awful again.  

The Bills are soft in the front 7 and it has been evident most of the season.  Their best hope is to simply score early and often to force the opponent into abandoning the run game.  

Edmunds missed a big tackle on 4th down on that final Colts drive and thats all I remember lol

36 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Milano, Tremaine, Tre, don't matter, we have nobody on this team that can cover a decent TE. The Colts' TEs feasted today.

So true. If we do reach the AFC championship game against the Chiefs, I will have nightmares thinking about Kelce as will Leslie Frazier.

The Knox TD was definitely improvised.  It was really remarkable given that - Josh couldn't find any opening, and it seemed like forever that he was trying - he just happened to look up and see Knox.  It wasn't even a pass - he just pushed the ball toward him.   Allen is always thinking, always aware.

Great summary.  So happy about Bass. Kickers are so important - we got a good one.

• Like (+1) 1