Three Colts that helped swing the game to the Bills today

51 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Three Colts in this game were pivotal in helping the Bills walk away with a victory today even though the Bills didn't play a very good game. These mistakes by the Colts are the kinds of mistakes the Bills used to make during the Drought that allowed them to repeatedly tear defeat from the jaws of victory.  It's nice to finally be on the other side of the fence on those game altering plays.

1.  Frank Reich,  coach for the Colts, passes on a chip shot 22 yard field goal to go up 13-7 with 1:52 left in the first half.  He decides instead to go for it on 4th and 4 and the Colts turn over the ball on downs.   The Colts drive deep into Bills' territory comes up empty.  Josh then gets the ball back and marches 96 yards for a TD before half.

2. Kemoko Turay, DE for the Colts, jumping off sides on that last Bills' drive of the first half with 37 seconds left on the clock.  The penalty on 4th and 3 gave the Bills an automatic 1st down when the entire universe and all parallel universes knew that Allen was just trying to get the Colts to jump Offside.  Instead of a 44 yard field goal try by Bass, the penalty leads to Allen's five yard rushing TD.  The Bills to go into halftime up 14-10 despite a rough first half of play. 

3.  Rodrigo Blankenship, kicker for the Colts, boinks a 33 yard field goal off the upright taking three critical points off the board late in the 3rd quarter.  The Bills get the ball back and march down the field and score another TD on a gorgeous 35 yard strike to Diggs in the corner of the endzone and the Bills go up 24-10.

If you think Frank Reich didn’t coach a great game today, you could not be more wrong.  He had an outstanding game plan and it was well-executed.

49 minutes ago, B-Large said:

Reich played aggressive and took come chances to win on the road as an underdog.  I’d be okay with that if I were a Colts fan.  

I agree he took chances. I thought the overall game plan was conservative. 
He should’ve coached conservatively in those chances in such a tight game and it might’ve went their way. 

• Like (+1) 1

Show you how close these games really are.  2-3 plays could have changed the outcome.

We got a little lucky.  I applaud Reich's attitude - but that 4th & goal would have upset me if I was a Colts fan. Gotta take the points there.

I'd add doing a poor job of managing their 2nd half timeouts to the Colts shortcomings.  They burned a timeout early in the 3rd quarter when the play clock ran to zero.  They seemed to be playing to that clock management strategy all day.  A 2nd timeout was spent challenging a fumble when it was obvious, on the play Moss was hurt, that he was down before the ball was loose.  That left them with 1 timeout down near the end of the game when time outs would have helped get them into FG range to tie the game and go to overtime.

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

If you think Frank Reich didn’t coach a great game today, you could not be more wrong.  He had an outstanding game plan and it was well-executed.

I didn't say that Reich called a bad game at all.  I think his decision to go for it on 4th and goal from the 4 yard line was a bad call.  It wasn't 4th and 1, or even 4th and 2 where you would have a decent chance of converting.  They needed 4 yards which is a tough get, especially considering they were right on the goal line and Bills defense didn't have to defend the entire field,  just the endzone.  

I respect your opinion and understand your point of view, we just have a difference of opinion on this one.

🍻

It will be hard to advance any further if the defense doesn’t tighten up.  I hate zone defense.  You rush 4 so with the O-Line being 5 players and the QB making 6, you have 7 defenders covering 5 and the TEs keep getting open?  Then, with the zone, they’re not always close enough to make the tackle before the receiver gets first down yardage. 

I like the way the Niners played defense. Tackles are made in the secondary immediately.

But, hey, we’re on to the next round.

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I didn't say that Reich called a bad game at all.  I think his decision to go for it on 4th and goal from the 4 yard line was a bad call.  It wasn't 4th and 1, or even 4th and 2 where you would have a decent chance of converting.  They needed 4 yards which is a tough get, especially considering they were right on the goal line and Bills defense didn't have to defend the entire field,  just the endzone.  

I respect your opinion and understand your point of view, we just have a difference of opinion on this one.

🍻

That’s cool.  It didn’t work, so by definition, it was the wrong call.  But Reich’s playing against the hottest offense in the league and he wasn’t interested in kicking short FGs.  The Colts were moving the ball well and a TD puts them up 10 points.  I thought it was a chance worth taking.

• Like (+1) 1

People are trying to say coaching blew the game for the Colts. I would like to point out that perhaps the Colts did what they did because they feared how explosive the Bills can be. Think back when everyone complained when the Bills would kick FGs against Brady. Fans would say you cant kick FGs against the Pats. They need to be more aggressive, etc.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Disagree with the continued Frank Reich bashing here.

He definitely made several aggressive, controversial calls, and they didn't go the Colts way.

Doesn't mean they were wrong or bad.

He was aggressive.  He figured he needed to put touchdowns on the board in order to win, and for the most part, he was right.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

It was the prevailing thought that in order for the Colts to win they’d have to score TD’s and not field goals.  They were aggressive and fell short on some of those calls.  

They had a hell of a game plan and their O and D line executed better than our line.  Rivers was very solid and they played the game that they needed to have a chance at winning and they almost did.  Cant take anything away from them, they proved themselves to be a very tough team, the problem for them is that we have Josh Allen and that was the difference.

allen really is the difference. 160 yards on the ground and zero sacks on Rivers usually delivers that team 

a win, I’d have to say.

Bill Cohwer was right on post game- Allen carried that team on his shoulders today, but they really need to get him a running game and defense that can play with a lead... or, Josh is going to be tempted to kill himself trying to win against all odds. 

Colts could have make some waves had they won today... that’s a good team. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I agree he took chances. I thought the overall game plan was conservative. 
He should’ve coached conservatively in those chances in such a tight game and it might’ve went their way. 

Eat clock, keep it close, go for it on a few 4th downs.  Fairly conservative.  

It was hard to watch, like others have remarked.... like 91’s final game...

very concerned we can run the ball... maybe the Colts were just that good...

but man we need to be able to grind a team down there and now.. 

3 hours ago, B-Large said:

Reich played aggressive and took come chances to win on the road as an underdog.  I’d be okay with that if I were a Colts fan.  

Few coaches would ever go for it on 4th and goal from the 3 after losing two yards on 3rd down.  That was the one call that made no sense.  That said a better throw from Rivers and they score there.

Rodrigo Blankenship had something going on during the game.  I watched him leave the field and run to the locker room on 4 different occasions during the actual game.  Not sure if its nervous pisses or perhaps the runs, but in all my yrs being at games I've never seen a player leave the field that much during the actual game.

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Three Colts in this game were pivotal in helping the Bills walk away with a victory today even though the Bills didn't play a very good game. These mistakes by the Colts are the kinds of mistakes the Bills used to make during the Drought that allowed them to repeatedly tear defeat from the jaws of victory.  It's nice to finally be on the other side of the fence on those game altering plays.

1.  Frank Reich,  coach for the Colts, passes on a chip shot 22 yard field goal to go up 13-7 with 1:52 left in the first half.  He decides instead to go for it on 4th and 4 and the Colts turn over the ball on downs.   The Colts drive deep into Bills' territory comes up empty.  Josh then gets the ball back and marches 96 yards for a TD before half.

2. Kemoko Turay, DE for the Colts, jumping off sides on that last Bills' drive of the first half with 37 seconds left on the clock.  The penalty on 4th and 3 gave the Bills an automatic 1st down when the entire universe and all parallel universes knew that Allen was just trying to get the Colts to jump Offside.  Instead of a 44 yard field goal try by Bass, the penalty leads to Allen's five yard rushing TD.  The Bills to go into halftime up 14-10 despite a rough first half of play. 

3.  Rodrigo Blankenship, kicker for the Colts, boinks a 33 yard field goal off the upright taking three critical points off the board late in the 3rd quarter.  The Bills get the ball back and march down the field and score another TD on a gorgeous 35 yard strike to Diggs in the corner of the endzone and the Bills go up 24-10.

All of this is correct.  I’m not sure the Colts win if the kick the FG there to make it 13-7.  We have no idea how the rest of the game plays out.  I didn’t have a problem with the call.  

Just read on ESPN Reich's comments on why he went for it on 4th down.  He stated:

"If you don't make it, they're backed up, they're likely going to be conservative and you have a chance to get it back"   Reich felt comfortable going for it because he didn't believe the Bills would aggressively try to move the ball down the field, because it was late in the first half and given where they had the ball.

To me this sounds kind of strange, if you thought they were going to be conservative, then likely they'd run the clock out so Indy wouldn't get the ball back anyway. Also in a couple of games this year in the same situation, the Bills were NOT conservative and did exactly what they just did today, went right down the field.

Would also have thought the fact that McD called a TO think on 3rd down should have told Indy the Bills didn't plan to be all that conservative as were trying to keep more time on the clock.