Three Colts that helped swing the game to the Bills today

Three Colts in this game were pivotal in helping the Bills walk away with a victory today even though the Bills didn't play a very good game. These mistakes by the Colts are the kinds of mistakes the Bills used to make during the Drought that allowed them to repeatedly tear defeat from the jaws of victory.  It's nice to finally be on the other side of the fence on those game altering plays.

1.  Frank Reich,  coach for the Colts, passes on a chip shot 22 yard field goal to go up 13-7 with 1:52 left in the first half.  He decides instead to go for it on 4th and 4 and the Colts turn over the ball on downs.   The Colts drive deep into Bills' territory comes up empty.  Josh then gets the ball back and marches 96 yards for a TD before half.

2. Kemoko Turay, DE for the Colts, jumping off sides on that last Bills' drive of the first half with 37 seconds left on the clock.  The penalty on 4th and 3 gave the Bills an automatic 1st down when the entire universe and all parallel universes knew that Allen was just trying to get the Colts to jump Offside.  Instead of a 44 yard field goal try by Bass, the penalty leads to Allen's five yard rushing TD.  The Bills to go into halftime up 14-10 despite a rough first half of play. 

3.  Rodrigo Blankenship, kicker for the Colts, boinks a 33 yard field goal off the upright taking three critical points off the board late in the 3rd quarter.  The Bills get the ball back and march down the field and score another TD on a gorgeous 35 yard strike to Diggs in the corner of the endzone and the Bills go up 24-10.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 8

Well stated.

The Bills deserved to win the game because they had more points on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

But we, and the Bills, aren't fooled. They were fortunate to win against a team they were better than.

I fully expect this to launch the Bills to bigger and better things.

The Bills will be an absolute force from here on out.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Three Colts in this game were pivotal in helping the Bills walk away with a victory today even though the Bills didn't play a very good game. These mistakes by the Colts are the kinds of mistakes the Bills used to make during the Drought that allowed them to repeatedly tear defeat from the jaws of victory.  It's nice to finally be on the other side of the fence on those game altering plays.

1.  Frank Reich,  coach for the Colts, passes on a chip shot 22 yard field goal to go up 13-7 with 1:52 left in the first half.  He decides instead to go for it on 4th and 4 and the Colts turn over the ball on downs.   The Colts drive deep into Bills' territory comes up empty.  Josh then gets the ball back and marches 96 yards for a TD before half.

2. Kemoko Turay, DE for the Colts, jumping off sides on that last Bills' drive of the first half with 37 seconds left on the clock.  The penalty on 4th and 3 gave the Bills an automatic 1st down when the entire universe and all parallel universes knew that Allen was just trying to get the Colts to jump Offside.  Instead of a 44 yard field goal try by Bass, the penalty leads to Allen's five yard rushing TD.  The Bills to go into halftime up 14-10 despite a rough first half of play. 

3.  Rodrigo Blankenship, kicker for the Colts, boinks a 33 yard field goal off the upright taking three critical points off the board late in the 3rd quarter.  The Bills get the ball back and march down the field and score another TD on a gorgeous 35 yard strike to Diggs in the corner of the endzone and the Bills go up 24-10.

WRT Reich, I'd assume that he felt Indy was going to need to score alot of points today to get the win, so that was why he went for it.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

2. Kemoko Turay, DE for the Colts, jumping off sides on that last Bills' drive of the first half with 37 seconds left on the clock.  The penalty on 4th and 3 gave the Bills an automatic 1st down when the entire universe and all parallel universes knew that Allen was just trying to get the Colts to jump Offside.

I thought it was really stupid. The Bills come out in that 'obvious' try to get the defense to jump and they NEVER actually go for it. It's one of my few pet peeves this season. If you never go for it in that situation then it's not going to fool anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

This seems like a good place to ask... what was the plan when Turay jumped? Was it really FG try or where we snapping that anyway?

Because ball was snapped no more than half a second after he jumped, so it seems that we were actually snapping it anyway.

EDIT: Plus it looked like there was no time left to take TO anyway, and we were not taking delay of game penalty to make it harder for Bass.

Edited by No_Matter_What

11 minutes ago, B-Large said:

Reich played aggressive and took come chances to win on the road as an underdog.  I’d be okay with that if I were a Colts fan.  

It was the prevailing thought that in order for the Colts to win they’d have to score TD’s and not field goals.  They were aggressive and fell short on some of those calls.  

They had a hell of a game plan and their O and D line executed better than our line.  Rivers was very solid and they played the game that they needed to have a chance at winning and they almost did.  Cant take anything away from them, they proved themselves to be a very tough team, the problem for them is that we have Josh Allen and that was the difference.

• Like (+1) 4

I said it the other day - humble and hungry is right on.  The great Bills of the 90s would get too much swagger sometimes, stay out too late, say the wrong thing.  Our team gave the Colts their due before the game and we should give it to them after.  They played a terrific game, great game plan, great players.  I expected at least one INT from Rivers and he just never threw it to us.  Respect. 

• Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Beast said:

Well stated.

The Bills deserved to win the game because they had more points on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

But we, and the Bills, aren't fooled. They were fortunate to win against a team they were better than.

I fully expect this to launch the Bills to bigger and better things.

The Bills will be an absolute force from here on out.

I think we're a little too harsh on ourselves... have we never missed a fg or gotten stuffed on a 4th and goal play? If the Colts were down one score maybe we wouldve been less caught off guard by those big chunk running plays in the fourth quarter that led to the Colts 2 minute touchdown drives...you just never know.  Josh allen looked ready for the moment and carried his team to a win thats what we should be celebrating. Thats what a franchise qb does

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I actually agree with his call here. Up to that point our offense was playing like dog doodoo (or at least the Colts Defense was stopping them). They were either going to get up 17-7 or make us march those 96 yards, and up to that point no one really felt the offense was up to that drive.

It stinks for them the Bills chose that specific time to wake up, but it was GREAT for us Bills fans. I see it as one of those hindsight is 20-20 deals, if it works your a freakin genius, if it fails your a freakin idiot.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, B-Large said:

Reich played aggressive and took come chances to win on the road as an underdog.  I’d be okay with that if I were a Colts fan.  

Absolutely.  Reich had a great gameplan today and his team executed it very well.  All of his in-game decisions were highly defensible under the circumstances.  They gave the hottest team in the league all they could handle, on the road.  Frank Reich acquitted himself very well today.

• Like (+1) 1