Gab"Slow Drag" Davis

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At the moment.... Gabe > John Brown.... and there is an out in Brown's deal. Two months ago I said no way but now.... at least worth consideration.

What were your draft thoughts on Davis?  I mean this kid might not ever be a superstar but he is a pro’s pro already.  I think it is impressive.

56 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think Gabe will reach 1,000 yards next season and never look back.  

1000 yards is asking alot, depends on the overall health of not just him but the other WRs too plus Allen, but do agree he's very good.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At the moment.... Gabe > John Brown.... and there is an out in Brown's deal. Two months ago I said no way but now.... at least worth consideration.

Based on Davis play and Browns contract will be surprised if Brown is back next season unless he takes a pretty large paycut.

Likely when the Bills negotiated Brown's contract last season they were assuming with a deep draft class the following season, they'd be drafting a WR in the 1st round.  If they had done that, Browns $8 mil would be easy to justify even if the rookie by next season was playing better.  But once they traded for Diggs, Browns contract for the #2 WR is just way too high when you also add in Beasly and Davis production. 

20 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Kudos to Davis on a fantastic game under severe pressure of playoffs for rookie. Kudos for Beane and scouting staff. Funny that he was exquisite on those two plays when earlier in year the one of few things you could criticize him for was tracking the ball and sideline awareness. Huge game, Gabe. 

He had another huge one early in the year.  Rams game maybe.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

What were your draft thoughts on Davis?  I mean this kid might not ever be a superstar but he is a pro’s pro already.  I think it is impressive.

Liked him. Had a high 3rd on him. Think in a lot of other drafts a guy like him goes mid 2nd. Was surprised he made it to the 4th round. His biggest drawback in college was lack of clear separation but he wasted so much energy getting off the line that I felt if you cleaned that up he would get open and he has got open plenty for a rookie.

I don’t know what Gabe Davis will become in the future, but here is what I know now: 

In a year where one of his teammates caught 1500 yards, and another almost had 1k, he was just shy of 600 yards and a rookie will numerous touchdowns. You watch the highlights,  and you’ll see Davis making some very solid, NFL caliber catches. 

Im not even talking about today’s 4 catch, 70+ yard performance. He’s made diving grabs, tall snags and sideline drags all season long as the clear #3 with Brown seeing limited action all year. 

Like I said, I don’t know what kind of guy he’ll become in the future, but it is hard to deny the immediate impact he’s had, and the potential to become a solid #2 possession receiver for years to come. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Funny story ...

Living in central Florida we got to see a lot of Davis' play and my son really REALLY wanted him for the Bills. Both he & I thought Davis would be a great fit for the team ... not in a Diggs kind of fit, but more of a Robert Woods kind of guy, willing to do the dirty work and work his butt off trying to be an asset to the team. One of my son's friends went to UCF with Davis and somehow through their schooling they became friends. Every time this kid would bump into Davis he'd tell him about this crazy Bills fan friend's obsession with Davis going to the Bills, and Davis would just laugh. After the Bills drafted him he sent his buddy a signed rookie card and said to give it to that crazy Bills fan buddy of yours, it just may be worth something some day.

So now every time Davis makes a catch my son says to me .... "card just went up another nickel".

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

Funny story ...

Living in central Florida we got to see a lot of Davis' play and my son really REALLY wanted him for the Bills. Both he & I thought Davis would be a great fit for the team ... not in a Diggs kind of fit, but more of a Robert Woods kind of guy, willing to do the dirty work and work his butt off trying to be an asset to the team. One of my son's friends went to UCF with Davis and somehow through their schooling they became friends. Every time this kid would bump into Davis he'd tell him about this crazy Bills fan friend's obsession with Davis going to the Bills, and Davis would just laugh. After the Bills drafted him he sent his buddy a signed rookie card and said to give it to that crazy Bills fan buddy of yours, it just may be worth something some day.

So now every time Davis makes a catch my son says to me .... "card just went up another nickel".

Gen, that is not a funny story - that is a fantastic, memorable story!!

I'll give your son a quarter for the signed card - deal?