The colts fumble that was not called

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

how in the world the one ref could say he caught it is beyond explanation

It's neither an explanation nor an excuse, but I do remember thinking that the transition from sun to shadow in the part of the field may have had something to do with it.

His knee was definitely off the ground and he was going to continue as a runner before Poyers hand was on his back the only thing i could imagine was the Ref didn't have the front view  to see his hand not touch him before his knee came up .

That along with the Ref's not calling a penalty when the clock hit 0 and letting the play go on after the clock hit 0 was terrible especially because it happened a lot you could get over once maybe twice but they missed that call quite a bit .

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

The refs missed two obvious calls in our game, the first drive incompletion to Hilton that was bouncing on the ground and they called complete, but that was fixed and then the fumble. Other than that, no issues with the refs, but that last one could have been huge.

They also missed a facemask on Roberts when he brought the ball out of the endzone up the right sideline to about the 12 yard line in the second quarter. They called the Bills for holding and they started at their own 6 yard line - instead of offsetting penalties. The Bills then went 3 and out.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, T master said:

His knee was definitely off the ground and he was going to continue as a runner before Poyers hand wasn't on his back the only thing i could imagine was the Ref didn't have the front view  to see his hand not touch him before his knee came up .

That along with the Ref's not calling a penalty when the clock hit 0 and letting the play go on after the clock hit 0 was terrible especially because it happened a lot you could get over once maybe twice but they missed that call quite a bit .

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wasn't giving it as an excuse. But that is what happened. 

What happened is they blew the call and everyone knows it.  But your explanation that they didn't want to make the correct call and end the game...is still crooked.

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

It's neither an explanation nor an excuse, but I do remember thinking that the transition from sun to shadow in the part of the field may have had something to do with it.

Sure that could have messed with it.  Why make up a call then?  If he didn't see him catch the ball, don't say anything.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Or just a bad angle of view lol. This isn't 1963. If the ref had an agenda, that wouldn't be the play to show it with a million replays shown on HD tv's where it wasn't even close to catch and bounced off his hands.

Sure - but to the contrary, unless you know definitively and saw the catch secured, as someone who has red's (albeit a different sport), you signal you didn't have a clear view and therefore cannot say in that moment if it was a catch or not.

Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There was no challenge. No challenges allowed in the last 2 minutes. So he called TO because Phil ran up to the line to run a play before they could review it. The TO ensured a review would actually take place. 

But Simon said the buzzer for booth review came "simultaneously" as McD was calling the timeout. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Was unbelievable they didn’t stop the game after. They stopped the bills late 2Q drive 3 or 4 times to review plays. 

This is the part that infuriated me most.

That was a game deciding, complicated, pivotal call...and they just kept the game rolling along like it was a routine play! 

Can't believe they didn't stop and analyze immediately!

I think what a lot of Bills fans are missing is that the entire play hinged on the timing of the hand on the down player relatively to when he picked his knee back up.  It was EXTREMELY close and you could have probably ruled either way, that he touched him while down, or did not touch him while down.

Because of that, the officials in New York ruled "inconclusive" and had to go with ruling on field, which was down by contact.

Had the call been the opposite on the field, that too would have stood up under review, and we would have won the game right there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That was a game deciding, complicated, pivotal call...and they just kept the game rolling along like it was a routine play! 

I think what a lot of Bills fans are missing is that the entire play hinged on the timing of the hand on the down player relatively to when he picked his knee back up.  It was EXTREMELY close and you could have probably ruled either way, that he touched him while down, or did not touch him while down.

Because of that, the officials in New York ruled "inconclusive" and had to go with ruling on field, which was down by contact.

Had the call been the opposite on the field, that too would have stood up under review, and we would have won the game right there.

Except that his knee was clearly off the ground and then he fumbled. Bills’ ball, game over.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I also believe that referee was really commenting about his feet being in bounds and he made the assumption it was caught.  

You see it all the time where one guy comes up and rules it a catch because from his angle he is looking for feet and where he goes out of bounds.  The 2nd ref comes up because his focus is supposed to be on the ball and realizes he bobbled or dropped it and the call gets overturned.  They also consult with other officials if needed and try to piece it together.

Look I give them a ton of credit because they are trying to judge split seconds toe taps and fingertip grabs and decide the exact second they happen and they usually get the call right.

On the Hilton play - the refs called it incomplete long before the TV team knew what was going on.  That was less on the refs and more on the announcers.  The refs got together and the one guy had clear visual that the ball landed on the ground next to the receiver and over ruled the other ref that could not see it because of the Bills defender.

• Agree 2

This is still bothering me.

They had the perfect camera angle. When you freeze frame, his knee is very clearly off the ground before the defender's hand touches his back.

This is exactly why we have replay.  It's difficult to understand why any ref doesn't overturn that.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

On the Hilton play - the refs called it incomplete long before the TV team knew what was going on.  That was less on the refs and more on the announcers.  The refs got together and the one guy had clear visual that the ball landed on the ground next to the receiver and over ruled the other ref that could not see it because of the Bills defender.

So the ref who called it complete clearly saw Hilton catch and possess the ball?  If he didn't, then why would he call it complete?  My answer:  these coward POS refs want replay to bail them out, but their crappy calls create a presumption that, given the NFL replay standards,  is often times extremely difficult to overcome.

It was an obvious fumble.  I was screaming and dropping F bombs and I felt bad because I was watching with my neighbor who is a Bills fan is also the minister at our church. I’m pretty sure he was dropping them in his head- just had the restraint to keep them in. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

Why is a call like this even the responsibility of 1 guy in the field looking at a tiny low Rez monitor??? MLB sends it back to a group of people that look at it from both teams cameras at all angles then tells the ump what to do.

Am I wrong about the NFL’s procedure here? 

yeah if that’s the process it’s insane.  the person who made the bad call reviewing the call.  it should go to a central review.  

also, I think it was Simms who was decently ticked off about this bad call postgame.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There was a still frame that was 100% clear.  There was really no “either way” about it even if you’re trying to be Devil’s Advocate.  It doesn’t matter that his knee was barely up.  It was up and it was clear.

• Agree 4