The colts fumble that was not called

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The game should have been over well before the fumble.

True. But it should have been over because of plays that didn’t happen. 

This fumble clearly did happen. 

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I just don't see it that way. I thought he was down initially too, until I saw the replay. So I don't think it was a boneheaded call on the field. 

All the boneheadedness and controversy occurred with the replay official.

Yea maybe its how I saw it in real time lol looked like an obvious fumble to me but im sure I was incredibly biased 🤣

1 hour ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Let me tell you Sean should give himself a game ball for that timeout after that play was just brilliant. 

I've been highly critical of McD's game manglement, but he nailed this one.  Absolutely the right thing to do burning the TO there.  Even the NFL had to admit that they should have reviewed it and gave us the TO back.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Beast, could you imagine if we lost somehow after that BS call the noise Bills fans would bring to the league for weeks, months or even years? The fan base would be absolutely going ape Sh!t right now. 

I've had about 15 different texts from friends around the states (non Bills fans) now giving me gratz on the Bills W today and also stating how F'ing BS the replay and call was. NFL Fans as a whole just want the game/s called right, especially in the playoffs. 

No doubt my friend. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yeah they did. That's why the Bills got the TO back

No the officials were going to let the Colts run a play until McD called a TO. The idiots in the replay booth realized at that time there might have been a legit fumble and then reviewed it. If Mcd doesnt do that the Colts run a play and there is no review. Thats how insanely incompetent the booth crew were in this game!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The best I can come up with why they let the play stand

1) All 4 reviews in the game previous to this play went in the Bills favor (2x Davis toe taps, overturned INT in the end zone, and failed Colts challenge on Moss fumble/injury). Now, I 100% think they got all those reviews correct, but some of them were very close. In general refs like to "even up" calls during a game. 

2) End of game drama. It's a more exciting finish if that play is NOT a fumble, so refs let it stand

I'd love to hear an official explanation from NFL head office though. This was pretty clearly a fumble, and it's disgraceful it wasn't overturned 

• Like (+1) 1

So far, I don't think I've seen anyone who didn't think that was a fumble and recovery. In the UK, we had a bunch of people for the broadcast, in their own studio, and links to the US, and they all thought it was a fumble. 

I don't remember seeing such a 100% roll call of presenters, ex zebras, and pundits on a call like that.

The only logical explanation, is that neither the zebras for the game, or the NFL, wanted to end the game on a call.

To be fair to the zebras, I can see why they called it a complete pass originally, where the WR is down by contact, even though he was getting up, but once it was under review, there were enough angles to see his knee was up, before anyone touched him.

• Like (+1) 1

What was just as criminal was the fact that the league didn’t call down to review it.  McDermott initially had to waste a timeout to get them to look at it, and they gave it back to him to perpetuate the fiction that the league had called down.  In fact, if Rivers had been smart enough to snap the ball quicker, there would have been no review at all.  I distinctly remember a fake ref running on the field in Houston last year to stop and review a play in crunch time.  Where was that guy today?

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

We can laugh about it now, but imagine if they lose that game?

A season wasted ...

They( The refs)  had the opportunity to get it right and they still can’t do it...

That would have been one more log on the funeral pyre of Buffalo sports.  One log we would be talking about for years to come. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They didn't want the game to end on the call, period, end of story. It's ok to admit it refs

That's exactly what I thought, and I grudgingly understood. BTW did anyone else notice that not a single holding call was called? What are the odds that two NFL teams did not hold for 60 minutes?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, flmike said:

That's exactly what I thought, and I grudgingly understood. BTW did anyone else notice that not a single holding call was called? What are the odds that two NFL teams did not hold for 60 minutes?

I’m sure there may have Been some on the bills side too but I know for certain Hughes was held on multiple occasions 

Watching the replay it seems like the NFL needs to use faster cameras.  It looked like the knee came up before poyer's hand touched pascal's back but poyer's hand was a bit of a blur that made it seem bigger.

higher speed cameras would have captured sharper images and would have clearly shown the knee off the ground and hand not making contact.  

24 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

No the officials were going to let the Colts run a play until McD called a TO. The idiots in the replay booth realized at that time there might have been a legit fumble and then reviewed it. If Mcd doesnt do that the Colts run a play and there is no review. Thats how insanely incompetent the booth crew were in this game!

They stopped at the same time McDermott called his TO; that's why they gave him the TO back.