What Did Indy do on D?

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

They played zone. That’s it, that’s what it was. 

They dared the Bills to run, with how high the safeties played. The Bills should have switched to the dink and dunk. I’m not sure why that wasn’t the adjustment.

Well that works if you can generate pressure with 4 DL and an occasional blitz, and they did all day.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I think Beasely is playing injured. 

He was before last week even. If you watched him walk over the last four weeks he has had a major hitch in his step.

I think the knee injury compounded the problem.

Happy he got us what he did today.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was a little surprised by Daboll's game plan.  The best way to beat a strong running team - especially when you have a questionable run defense - is to build an early lead and force the other team to pass.  Of course, you need the requisite firepower to make this work. 

We do.  I thought Daboll would be aggressive and have us passing on nearly every play.  

This is true. 

But the NFL is a copycat league.  I'm just wondering if Indy figured out something that other teams will emulate.  

You have to have the personnel to pull off what Indy did......and what they did was give up 27 points while trying to play ball control. 

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

The Colts had 472  total yards while we had 397.     TOP was 34:17 Colts and 25:43 Bills.     Colts also had some misses .  Rivers missed over threw that open receiver in end zone and the missed field goal by the dude with the glasses.    Could have easily been a Colts win as well.  So hopefully the coaching staff takes a good look at film and plans better for next week.    

They’ve got a lot of soul searching to do for sure.

It’s not like they beat a pretty solid 11-5 team, led by respectable coaches, a top 10 offense and defense and a potential HOF QB.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Daboll tried to force the run is what it seems like from the uninformed eye. When the Bills were passing they were doing it well. That’s been their game all year. No idea why we would try to get away from it. 

We had 10 carries by our running backs all game long. Not being able to run the ball is what hurt us the colts knew we were going to pass and it’s easier to tee off on the QB and play coverage when no one’s afraid of your running game. Just think how dangerous this team could be if we could run the ball. That’s why they were calling run plays for Allen up the middle to try and get those safety up a little bit more. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

They’ve got a lot of soul searching to do for sure.

It’s not like they beat a pretty solid 11-5 team, led by respectable coaches, a top 10 offense and defense and a potential HOF QB.  

Yup.   Indy is a solid team for sure.

Now to go off on a bit of a tangent,    you are Phil the Thrill reincarnated?    Why did you give up your other handle(s) on the date that you started posting on this one?  Wifey caught you posting again on football forums after losing that 5 k on the Vikings?

2 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Indy might've won the game, if not for a missed field goal, failed 2 point conversion, and 4th down play. The Bills showed a lot of guts, overcoming being pushed around, for too long, in the contest. Allen carried the team...

So good to be on the good side of one of these. It’s been decades. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

You have to have the personnel to pull off what Indy did......and what they did was give up 27 points while trying to play ball control. 

Your right and teams have played us like Indy the difference is they have a front 4 that can get pressure while dropping everybody. Teams we played this year just couldn’t get pressure with only 4 so Allen could wait until someone got open. Indy played the perfect game really and I’m happy we got the win. But with no run game and we can’t get pressure with just 4 it’s all on Allen. And that is incredibly this team will be unstoppable win we get a running game and a few Dline men that can get after the QB

I felt like the reason we only scored 27 had more to do with Indy's Offense controlling time of possession and our poor starting field goal position.  Someone posted about this in the last few days (thread was originally titled Otis Anderson and got changed I think) but they basically used the Super Bowl XXV game plan of controlling time of possession through long drives to keep our offense off the field.  We were able to make some key stops on 4th down that kept points of the board and had some big explosive plays in the passive game to pull it out.

Josh had a great day.

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Daboll tried to force the run is what it seems like from the uninformed eye. When the Bills were passing they were doing it well. That’s been their game all year. No idea why we would try to get away from it. 

The one possession near the end of the first half, I believe, was absolutely aggravating. Three straight runs and punt. When in the hell did we become a running team?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know the Bills scored 27 points, Josh threw for over 300 yards, and the Bills won.  Yet the every yard and every point seemed to be a struggle.

What did Indy do to slow down our offense?  Will we see more of the same next week?

I'm like a lot of fans - my eyes tend to follow the ball.  I never took the time to analyze or understand Indy's defensive game plan.  Whatever it was, it worked fairly well.  

Starting field position led to right play calling on the first five drives.

Give Allen some space and Daboll some breathing room and out offense shined.

We clammed up a bit backed into our own end a few times and had a drop or two.

They signed Buckner as a FA and we didn't. They have a highly disruptive force on their DL that makes life miserable for opposing offenses every week and we don't. Instead we have Lotulelei and Addison. I love what Beane has done (mostly), but a serious disruptor on the DL would put this team over the top.

They didn't do anything to slow down the Bills offense, just limit their chances. Josh did what he wanted when the playcalling was on point. Maybe it seemed that way because Indy had more TOP and kept Rivers clean. They have a amazing O Line that run blocks and pass protects with equal proficiency. Our O Line is exceptional at pass protection. Run blocking? Not so much.

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

We had 10 carries by our running backs all game long. Not being able to run the ball is what hurt us the colts knew we were going to pass and it’s easier to tee off on the QB and play coverage when no one’s afraid of your running game. Just think how dangerous this team could be if we could run the ball. That’s why they were calling run plays for Allen up the middle to try and get those safety up a little bit more. 

Couldn't agree more. Been saying it all season. Not easy to win playoff games without a run game and shoddy D. This team will go as far as Allen's arm takes them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1