What Did Indy do on D?

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

They got away with a ton of holding. Sucks that they’re allowing defenders to be tackled and blatantly held. There was a third down where our blitz beat their line and at least three OL held the defenders, rivers had time to get ball out and make a first down because of it

Yea thats been a league wide point of emphasis it seems where they've just stopped calling it in most cases.  Looks like we got a crew that was letting them play too which makes it even worse 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea thats been a league wide point of emphasis it seems where they've just stopped calling it in most cases.  Looks like we got a crew that was letting them play too which makes it even worse 

I understand that there could be holding called on every play and all that but when it obviously stops a rusher that easily could get to the player with the ball it has to be called. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I noticed that Rivers seemed to have a LOT more time in the pocket than Allen did.  Our offensive line has to step it up next week.

Lot's of reasons posted but I agree we you, Allen had much less time than he did in recent games.

One thing I noticed was the pressure was coming from all over not just from one area (which seems the Bills can scheme around).

Colts DBs played a pretty good scheme too.

50 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know the Bills scored 27 points, Josh threw for over 300 yards, and the Bills won.  Yet the every yard and every point seemed to be a struggle.

What did Indy do to slow down our offense?  Will we see more of the same next week?

I'm like a lot of fans - my eyes tend to follow the ball.  I never took the time to analyze or understand Indy's defensive game plan.  Whatever it was, it worked fairly well.  

We’re going to have to wait for some All-22 and some dissection of the formations.

To me, on first watch, the Bills moved the ball fine when they went 4-wide and threw the ball.

No John Brown today, no Isaiah McKenzie.

Gabe Davis came to play and made two impossible catches to save the first half. 

53 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know the Bills scored 27 points, Josh threw for over 300 yards, and the Bills won.  Yet the every yard and every point seemed to be a struggle.

What did Indy do to slow down our offense?  Will we see more of the same next week?

I'm like a lot of fans - my eyes tend to follow the ball.  I never took the time to analyze or understand Indy's defensive game plan.  Whatever it was, it worked fairly well.  

Indy has one of the most evenly spread talented defenses. There's not a ton of easily exploitable matchups. Combine that with a confusing Bills gameplan that fed into their strengths.. and well.. 

8 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

We're talking about what they did on D, and yet:

This is a good point. But all those yards were hard fought. We haven’t seen that in a few weeks. We haven’t seen consistent pressure and sacks. We haven’t seen the middle of the field disappear for the offense. The Colts defense did a lot of things right today.

Frank Reich and his analytics coaches on the other hand. 

John Brown had a ball go thru his hands.  

Allen took a bad sack.  

We had a sequence at the start of the 2nd half where we march down the field thru the air....a Colts player gets hurt.. then 3 straight garbage runs.  FG instead of a TD.

That's all I can think of.

Oh and avg drive start at the 7 in the first half.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

They played zone. That’s it, that’s what it was. 

They dared the Bills to run, with how high the safeties played. The Bills should have switched to the dink and dunk. I’m not sure why that wasn’t the adjustment.

Right on 👍

37 minutes ago, Process said:

They didn't do anything...

Josh could have put up 400 on them if we wanted too. He played great. 

But Daboll refused to let him cook, or get in any sort of rhythm.

This is an incredibly shallow take.  Most on this board are savvy enough to realize that individual plays aren't called in a vacuum.  Plays are sometimes called to beat what the other team is calling, or more importantly to setup a desirable matchup on future plays.  There were some great examples on the drive that had moss's injury and ended in the go route where we forced them into that play.  The touchdown probably doesn't happen without what came before.  Josh's outside scrambles and called outside runs forced the DLine into outside contain and then qb draws pulled the mid field coverage down to protect.  The runs that people are complaining about literally caused a touchdown. 

The point of the OP was to try and deduce what was going on that warranted all the runs.  To me it looked like overall the Colts had a great coverage game plan that took away alot of the shorter crossers and outs.  They did it by rushing only 4 most of the time.  We've been able to beat this in the past when the O line gives some time for guys to find a gap in coverage.  Today, the O line lost the battle.  The called runs were intended to slow down the outside pass rush and bring more into the box to open up the field.  They initially didn't fall for it which was why we kept going back to the draw.

• Like (+1) 1

Receivers looked a little beat up, but Smoke disappeared and let that ball go through his hands. Daboll was off overthinking half the game, defense was exposed. Quite  frankly we won because Reich blew it with going for it on a 4th down and a missed field goal....

1 minute ago, Rew said:

This is an incredibly shallow take.  Most on this board are savvy enough to realize that individual plays aren't called in a vacuum.  Plays are sometimes called to beat what the other team is calling, or more importantly to setup a desirable matchup on future plays.  There were some great examples on the drive that had moss's injury and ended in the go route where we forced them into that play.  The touchdown probably doesn't happen without what came before.  Josh's outside scrambles and called outside runs forced the DLine into outside contain and then qb draws pulled the mid field coverage down to protect.  The runs that people are complaining about literally caused a touchdown. 

The point of the OP was to try and deduce what was going on that warranted all the runs.  To me it looked like overall the Colts had a great coverage game plan that took away alot of the shorter crossers and outs.  They did it by rushing only 4 most of the time.  We've been able to beat this in the past when the O line gives some time for guys to find a gap in coverage.  Today, the O line lost the battle.  The called runs were intended to slow down the outside pass rush and bring more into the box to open up the field.  They initially didn't fall for it which was why we kept going back to the draw.

It was very obvious by the end of the first half this strategy wasn’t effective. Even though they took the short middle away,  outside the numbers was there. It should have been exploited further.

10 minutes ago, Rew said:

Well said

46 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

They got away with a ton of holding. Sucks that they’re allowing defenders to be tackled and blatantly held. There was a third down where our blitz beat their line and at least three OL held the defenders, rivers had time to get ball out and make a first down because of it

My favorite was Edmunds beating Veldheer at the goal line, and Veldheer trying to manhandle him from behind like a horny dog. 

• Haha (+1) 1

As far as what Indy did on D.... a lot of Tampa 2 and cover 3. They did an exceptional job of handing off routes, bracketing WRs in the intermediate areas, and got pressure with 4 rushers. They have the right personnel for that scheme and those players executed very well for most of the game. Couple that with slowing the game down, some odd play calling by Daboll, and a few injured WRs gutting it out and our point total dropped. 

On the plus side, the Bills won despite not bringing their A game and losing the battle in the trenches. 

• Like (+1) 1