Reich did us some favors

16 minutes ago, vincec said:

You can question going for the TD on 4th down in retrospect because they failed, but the play was there and should have been a TD if executed properly so it's hard to criticize the decision.

This play was one of the few where the Bills actually had some pressure on Rivers and I think the Bills defense forced the throw to be just a little bit off.  So the play was there if the Bills hadn't disrupted it, but they did.

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

On the flipside McDermott made some clutch decisions at the end of the game.

you can defend every call that Reich made as spot on. But in the end, McD outcoached him. The defensive adjustment when he called a TO at the very end too was brilliant. It ended the game basically. 

• Like (+1) 1

Apparently there are a lot of Colts fans who feel his questionable decisions this year have cost them a few others as well...over on the Colts boards, quite a large contingent want him fired and another contingent is ambivalent and it seems they are not sure what they should do regarding Reich. Kind of surprising with how well they played overall.

I understood why he went for it on 4th down rather than kick a field goal.  He knew he was playing a high scoring team & figured he had to put as many points on the board that he could.  The only way to keep up with the Bills is go for TDs, not FGs that close to the endzone.  If he gets the TD, he's up 17-7, otherwise he's up 13-7 and as it turned out, he still would have been down 14-13 at halftime with the Bills getting the 2nd half kickoff.  

57 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I realize that you can't assume how the game flow would have been affected but the Colts lost by 3 and Reich left 4 points on the field. 

First, there was the call to go for it on 4th and 4 when the score was 10-7.  Yes, generally speaking you need to score TDs instead of FGs to beat our offense but it was late in the half after the Colts had basically imposed their will and their game plan was working as well as it possibly could.  Giving the ball back without scoring was the single best way to turn the momentum.  4th and 1?  Yeah, go for it.  But after you lose those 3 yards it's a clear call to send out the kicker in my opinion.  

Next you had the 2 point conversion try which was classic overthinking.  Even if you're successful and go down by 6, the opponent can still kick a FG to make it a two-score game and can make up the 2 points if they score a TD in response.  

The biggest thing, though, was that he left his team with one timeout and then was so passive in his calls on the final drive that the Colts only drove 41 yards in 2:37 during desperation time.  I don't think I've ever seen a drive that started with that much time where the offense kept the ball but didn't even get into FG range.

He also installed a genius level game plan and coached a team that never quit down 14 in Q4.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

He also installed a genius level game plan and coached a team that never quit down 14 in Q4.

Very true.  I think he's a great coach.  One of the interesting things about football is that head coaching breaks down into super nuanced game planning but also binary decision making.