The designed QB runs need to stop!

bills6969

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

Allen must’ve had at least 6 or 7 designed QB runs today.  This is asinine. You don’t need your franchise QB taking big hits on stupid QB sneaks.  We saw what happened to Moss.  Guys jumping on top of you, you can easily snap your leg, tear ligament, get concussed.  So stupid to call these plays unless we are in deep desperation mode.  You don’t see KC letting Mahomes run free and take those hits.

It’s the playoffs... every play is on the table. Yeah I agree with you but it gives us the advantage. Gotta do whatever to win 

• Like (+1) 1

Hard telling, not knowing what the actual play call was.  Yes, I felt Josh ran too much, but did Dabs call that?  Did Josh?  And, btw, we won and Allen also threw for over 300 yards, sooooo...

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

Allen must’ve had at least 6 or 7 designed QB runs today.  This is asinine. You don’t need your franchise QB taking big hits on stupid QB sneaks.  We saw what happened to Moss.  Guys jumping on top of you, you can easily snap your leg, tear ligament, get concussed.  So stupid to call these plays unless we are in deep desperation mode.  You don’t see KC letting Mahomes run free and take those hits.

Oh so easy to say what they shouldn't do while failing to say what they should do in its place.

Standing by for your suggestion. 

Memo to the thread: If you didn't notice, we were in desperation mode. We won in the closing seconds, defeating a hail mary.

Point being, it was the kind of game where you use all the tools in your box. Allen running is one of those tools. Without Allen's runs our season would be over today.

1 hour ago, bigduke6 said:

i dont disagree,  mainly due to possible injury,  but our running game was non existent and the line wasnt holding up well in pass protect either.

little curious y we didnt use any type of screen game to slow down their pass rush tho instead of the QB runs.

Said this in the other thread.

The Colts were ripe for the screen game.
I wonder how much say JA has on the play calling . He had some dump offs that he could have taken but he has that Gunslinger mentality. 
They need to utilize the backs in space more. Not as a staple but more than they seem to.

There were too many today for sure. My general view is to differentiate between the QB sweep (which needs to go) and the QB draw, which when used correctly is an effective weapon. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Said this in the other thread.

The Colts were ripe for the screen game.
I wonder how much say JA has on the play calling . He had some dump offs that he could have taken but he has that Gunslinger mentality. 
They need to utilize the backs in space more. Not as a staple but more than they seem to.

I was surprised we only called one wide receiver screen. I thought those, more than the running back screens, were the play. The Colts were crowding the middle of the line. The receiver screens attacking the edges were the play IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Just show more conviction.

If you want to run it Daboll, line up and give the ball to Singletary.

Allen has the nose for the end zone, but I agree with others, the Bills are best running 4-wides and gunning and exposing Allen to hits and fumbles is not smart in the Playoffs, this isn’t Denver.

When they got away from that the offense stalled out.

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

without it the Bills would be on the losing end today. 

use what weapons you have. 

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There were too many today for sure. My general view is to differentiate between the QB sweep (which needs to go) and the QB draw, which when used correctly is an effective weapon. 

I was surprised we only called one wide receiver screen. I thought those, more than the running back screens, were the play. The Colts were crowding the middle of the line. The receiver screens attacking the edges were the play IMO.

Agreed.

I would like to see more pitches and dump offs to the outside. 

This line/backs do not seem to work well up the middle. It’s hard to believe that Singletary suddenly sucks this year. Not sure what the deal is but I would like to see a better back ,next year , find his way onto the squad.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

They evidently don't agree with you.

It might have something to do with the Colts D line being up in Josh's face all game long.

He also took a good helmet to helmet hit. Too many designed runs the qb sweep was just stupid risk & didn’t work.

52 minutes ago, boater said:

Memo to the thread: If you didn't notice, we were in desperation mode. We won in the closing seconds, defeating a hail mary.

Point being, it was the kind of game where you use all the tools in your box. Allen running is one of those tools. Without Allen's runs our season would be over today.

Desperation mode started in the first quarter?

2 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

i dont disagree,  mainly due to possible injury,  but our running game was non existent and the line wasnt holding up well in pass protect either.

little curious y we didnt use any type of screen game to slow down their pass rush tho instead of the QB runs.

Our running game has been sub-par all year.  It must change and fast if we are to continue advancing in the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Agreed.

I would like to see more pitches and dump offs to the outside. 

This line/backs do not seem to work well up the middle. It’s hard to believe that Singletary suddenly sucks this year. Not sure what the deal is but I would like to see a better back ,next year , find his way onto the squad.

the guards dont move people to allow the backs to run inside and the back are too damned slow to run outside  This run game is in neutral

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bills6969 said:

The difference is KC has an actual RB to hand the ball off to who can reliably gain yards.  Not very sure we have anything close to that.

I do wonder what their plans are for next season to fix this?  Are our lineman just real good at pass blocking, but not good at run blocking.  Tough at least 3 of our starters were hear last year and did a decent job at it.

I sometimes wonder could it be we run so infrequently that mentally our RB's just aren't mentally ready when they are called on?  Not in anyway a good excuse, but often a big difference between an acceptable and reality.

No, they don't.

Until the Bills prove they can actually run the ball with their running backs, Allen is about all they've got.

Besides, you don't just consciously choose NOT TO USE a weapon as lethal as Allen's running ability.