Just gonna say it: Daboll’s worst game since the first half of the season

Alphadawg7

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t know what Daboll was thinking today.  He went back to the early in the season mindset and making head scratching calls, trying to force the run when it wasn’t there, too conservative at times, and went with too many called QB runs.  

We are a passing team, and when he turned it loose we moved the ball with ease.  

I really hope Daboll goes back to what we have scene all during the second half of the season.  

I agree.  Was saying the same thing all gameday thread.  Dabolls playcalling was absolute crap today.

I think Daboll is the main reason this game was so stressful. We had multiple chances to run away with it but he kept calling stupid drive killing plays that let the Colts hang around. The way you beat a strong running team is not with slow methodical drives that drain the clock with 2 yard runs. That's playing into what the Colts wanted. We should have been aggressive passing the ball and building a lead so big that running wasn't an option for them.

I just don't understand why he went away from our identity in this one. It's like he accidentally grabbed the 2019 playbook on the way to the game. Allen played great and we had our full complement of receivers for the first time in forever, yet we somehow ended up punting the ball more than any game since the bye. That's 100% on Daboll. I won't be unhappy to see him hired away this year.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Process said:

Except they didn't cause issues? Allen was beating them through the air, hence the stats you showed. But Daboll refused to stick with and let Allen get in a rhythm. He forced bs qb sneaks and run plays against one of the best run D's and worst secondaries in the NFL. When he did the opposite all year long. Made absolutely no sense. It's like he was trying to keep the colts in the game.

The fact that allen was able to out up those numbers shows how good he is. It was despite Daboll not because of him. 

:thumbsup:       Daboll is going to get a HCing gig.

I wonder if he will look anywhere near as good without Josh Allen (74.3 completion percentage 324 passing yards, 2 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD) carrying the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Billznut said:

Our biggest obstacle today was our god awful defense. Not sure which game you watched. 

Eh defense has been bad all year. It hasn't been terrible like it was the first few weeks, but it's still been pretty mediocre over the last couple months. I knew the Colts would score at least 21 points in this one, I just expected our offense to do what it's been doing and put up at least 30 while sustaining drives. And really, looking at the stats, we should have been able to do that if the game plan hadn't been stupid.

Our passing efficiency today was unbelievable. 74% completion percentage, 9.3 YPA, 121.6 passer rating, 2 TDs 0 INT. When Allen scrambled on designed pass plays we were also very effective. There was a stretch in the 2nd half where every time we passed the ball we picked up big chunks of yards and every time we ran we got stuffed, yet Daboll kept throwing in running plays. To keep Indy honest I guess? I just hate that mindset. I don't care if the defense is expecting a pass. Pass it anyways and dare them to stop us. We did that against the Seahawks and the Patriots (2nd game) for example and had some of our best offensive production of the year.

So yes the defense was not good but it really hasn't been good all year. This is an offense-led team. Daboll should know by now what we do well. No matter what the defense does there's no excuse for us to fall short of 30 points when we're passing the ball that well, and we're lucky Bass was perfect in this game. 3 TDS doesn't cut it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think the players would tell you the same thing.  5 on the 5 in the box should lead to a 3-5 rushing yards easily every single time.

For most offenses, yes. But Daboll needs to call plays for this offense. We don't run the ball well in any situation. The only consistently good runs that we have are Allen scrambling on busted pass plays. I don't really care if defenses are selling out to stop the pass, we should still be passing in those situations anyways. We have a dominant passing offense and a terrible rushing offense. So forget what the defense is dictating, we should play to our strengths.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Andre did this twice when the ball was kicked to the extreme right of the EZ.  I think his average FP was 17.5 yard line on these two kicks.  On a third kick in the middle of the field, he got to the 25 and was one man away from breaking it.  His missed FC punt also put us in a deep hole.  Andre made at a minimum three bad decisions that ruined our normally stellar return game.  That's not Frank outcoaching us, that's us screwing up.  Hopefully Andre gets his rectocephaly cured before the divisional round next week.

Andre did make bad decisions but I feel like there were a couple where having already been in bad field position Farwell should have said to him - whatever happens just take the touchback. At that stage our 25 seemed like a certain amount of safety.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think Daboll is the main reason this game was so stressful. We had multiple chances to run away with it but he kept calling stupid drive killing plays that let the Colts hang around. The way you beat a strong running team is not with slow methodical drives that drain the clock with 2 yard runs. That's playing into what the Colts wanted. We should have been aggressive passing the ball and building a lead so big that running wasn't an option for them.

I just don't understand why he went away from our identity in this one. It's like he accidentally grabbed the 2019 playbook on the way to the game. Allen played great and we had our full complement of receivers for the first time in forever, yet we somehow ended up punting the ball more than any game since the bye. That's 100% on Daboll. I won't be unhappy to see him hired away this year.

While I don't think Daboll was good yesterday.... none of the coordinators were.... nor should we overreact. He has had an outstanding season and has called some great games. He had a bad day at the office yesterday, but every play caller does. I saw Sean McVay utterly stink the joint up against the Seahawks two weeks ago to the point where I actually pondered whether it was time for him to give up play calling and hire a proper OC. He called a much better game against them last night despite having a QB who could barely grip the ball let alone throw. I'd still rather Daboll was here again in 2021. I think it would be the best thing for the continuity of our offense. Not that we are going to fall off a cliff without him. Not while we have Allen, but one bad game does not a bad coordinator make.

• Like (+1) 1

i said this all game. they went away from what got them here. the run, run, run stuff is inexcusable for this offense.

I'll be honest. I want him here. I think he's really good. But he has seemed almost infallible the past 6 weeks. Not the case today. Makes me feel better about the possibility of playing without him going forward. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

For most offenses, yes. But Daboll needs to call plays for this offense. We don't run the ball well in any situation. The only consistently good runs that we have are Allen scrambling on busted pass plays. I don't really care if defenses are selling out to stop the pass, we should still be passing in those situations anyways. We have a dominant passing offense and a terrible rushing offense. So forget what the defense is dictating, we should play to our strengths.

yup. our version of a run game should be short little swing passes into the flats. 

Edited by Man with No Name
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I don't think Daboll was good yesterday.... none of the coordinators were.... nor should we overreact. He has had an outstanding season and has called some great games. He had a bad day at the office yesterday, but every play caller does. I saw Sean McVay utterly stink the joint up against the Seahawks two weeks ago to the point where I actually pondered whether it was time for him to give up play calling and hire a proper OC. He called a much better game against them last night despite having a QB who could barely grip the ball let alone throw. I'd still rather Daboll was here again in 2021. I think it would be the best thing for the continuity of our offense. Not that we are going to fall off a cliff without him. Not while we have Allen, but one bad game does not a bad coordinator make.

Yea, I think he has enough credit to deserve a mulligan. The Colts were playing that very, very deep zone and were daring the Bills to run or move to the short passing game. Daboll thought going to the running game was the move to make and when the RBs weren't getting anywhere went to the QB draws hoping to soften that zone and bring the safeties in. It's not what I thought they should have done, I'd have liked them to go to the short passing game as that would have also helped with the pass rush.

We go again!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea, I think he has enough credit to deserve a mulligan. The Colts were playing that very, very deep zone and were daring the Bills to run or move to the short passing game. Daboll thought going to the running game was the move to make and when the RBs weren't getting anywhere went to the QB draws hoping to soften that zone and bring the safeties in. It's not what I thought they should have done, I'd have liked them to go to the short passing game as that would have also helped with the pass rush.

We go again!

We also don't know how they really felt about the health of Beasley and Diggs and that might play in. They obviously felt McKenzie was not right as he was barely on the field. We saw Beas walk off after one play like John Wayne he is clearly playing through the pain barrier. That is their three major short game weapons. I think there might have been some element of managing a beaten up receiving corps through the game.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

We also don't know how they really felt about the health of Beasley and Diggs and that might play in. They obviously felt McKenzie was not right as he was barely on the field. We saw Beas walk off after one play like John Wayne he is clearly playing through the pain barrier. That is their three major short game weapons. I think there might have been some element of managing a beaten up receiving corps through the game.

I think it certainly played into, they just didn't really have Beasley or McKenzie to go to that short passing game. And to Dabolls credit, those QB draws lead to the Diggs touchdown, when the Colts switched to single high safety. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think it certainly played into, they just didn't really have Beasley or McKenzie to go to that short passing game. And to Dabolls credit, those QB draws lead to the Diggs touchdown, when the Colts switched to single high safety. 

I don't mind the draws. It is the QB sweep that I hate. It just never seems to work either.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't mind the draws. It is the QB sweep that I hate. It just never seems to work either.

The sweeps are awful. The blocking on them was awful too. And on the 3rd down sweep Josh did audible to the sweep so not entirely on Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, I also have been very high on Daboll for the past couple years and especially so this year.  I was surprised that they ran the ball as much as they did and personally I don’t think they went for the jugular as much as they should have with the lead.  I was telling my brother that it appeared they were trying to win it the old fashioned way of eating the clock to win with the run.  

That played into the Colts strength.  I suspect he will review things and try to open it up more so next game.  

With that said it was the defense that performed worse than the offense.  The Colts shredded the Bills with those two TD drives way too easily.  That should have never have happened.  The offense kept giving the defense extended two score leads and the defense just kept allowing them to score to make it a 1 score game.

• Like (+1) 1

3:53 left in game, Buf on Indy 34 yard line, SIngletary just had nice run, Indy 1 TO left, Bass already made 54 yarder. 

Daboll goes 4 WR and 1 RB.  No extra protection.  This is inexcusable and has happened way too much this year.

Get this guy out of here.  Zero concept of game management.

Not sure if this was brought up, honestly 10+ pages on Daboll in a win where we are not saying good things in truly the privilege of a very good team.

that said, all week we heard how this team wants him and he’s interviewing with this other team.  He may have been distracted. I expect a better game plan next week against Balt/Pitts.  The colts are a tough team.

• Like (+1) 1