Just gonna say it: Daboll’s worst game since the first half of the season

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. The oline is built to pass block not to run block. But that isn't helped by two backs who really do not accelerate to the hole. When you combine an oline that struggles to hold its run blocks with two backs that don't hit the hole quickly you get an anaemic run game.

That’s exactly why I would like to see Williams get some snaps.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it was one of the worst coached games of the McDermott era. And not necessarily Sean himself. I thought the plans by all 3 coordinators were mystifying. 

Why did we keep running Allen?

Why did we keep blitzing Rivers on 3rd down?

Why did we insist on the short kickoffs and the bringing out their kicks offs when struggling for Field Position?

None of it made much sense. Now ultimately that is on Sean and he will take accountability I am sure, but the Bills had some strange plans.

Said this many times the past 3 seasons.......when Daboll is bad he is over-guessing what the D will be and trying to pick the perfect play instead of doing what the team does best and/or playing with tempo.

When they finally got untracked and were playing hurry up the Colts quickly had an injury(real or otherwise) which allowed Daboll some time to go back to over-thinking it.:doh:

He's done a good job but as a play caller he CAN be upgraded.........it's not like it's all downhill from here if he leaves.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Said this many times the past 3 seasons.......when Daboll is bad he is over-guessing what the D will be and trying to pick the perfect play instead of doing what the team does best and/or playing with tempo.

When they finally got untracked and were playing hurry up the Colts quickly had an injury(real or otherwise) which allowed Daboll some time to go back to over-thinking it.:doh:

He's done a good job but as a play caller he CAN be upgraded.........it's not like it's all downhill from here if he leaves.

Don't disagree with the general point but he did the same with the Patriots two weeks ago and it was one of the best games he has called. He anticipated what Bill was doing that day and set him up from the very first drive. 

He was hurt today by awful field position first half and some less than stellar line play but Indy came with something unique in their plan compared to their standard D and Daboll didn't seem to adjust and attack the edges. 

Hopefully just put it down to a bad day at the office and come up with a better plan next week.

I agree with most that coaching was the problem today.  On defense I didn't notice much stunting and Rivers had far too much time.  Probably dialed it back to maintain gap integrity against the run but it really hurt us.  Certainly in the second half they could have gotten more creative with their rush when we opened up our lead.

On offense we were very vanilla and non aggressive in terms of setting up future plays.  I do believe Daboll overthought things.  Lack of screens, play-action etc.  

Try and do what we do best first.  Then go from there.

We got over the hump and got the win.  Reminds me of the first Patriots game.  Let's hope they loosen up and get back to normal.

Just gonna say it: this forcibly puts me in mind of the Frank Reich and Phillip Rivers pressers I just listened to.

Now give them credit, they repeatedly said that the Bills are a good team.  But to hear them, their defense played lights-out, our defense couldn't stop them, they only lost the game due to self inflicted wounds.  OK, what's the other side?  Our defense obviously did stop them since they punted twice, had two FG attempts instead of TDs (1 miss) and two TOD.  And their defense obviously didn't perfectly stop us since we had 3 TDs and 2 FGs and, like, scored more points.

My point is, the OP (whom I enjoy reading) is looking very one-dimensionally at this game to finger Daboll.

Bease in his post-game said straight out "this is the best defense we've faced all season" and also pointed out that when you're pinned deep, it limits the playbook as you absolutely can't risk turning the ball over or it's immediate points for the other side.

In the first half, our AVERAGE field position start was the 8 yd line!!!! We started from the 3, 15, 11, 6, and 4 yd lines.  That's pretty awful, and it limits what the offense can do.  It makes 3-and-outs more likely.  The best field position (15 yds) was our first TD.  3 of the others were 3 and outs.  But it's not all on the offense.  "Complimentary football" is at play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

The bills did not seem to have any game plan at all today, on either side of the ball. Colts seemed much better prepared. We did not touch rivers once in the game, & needed a series of miraculous toe dancing catches by the rookie davis to win this game. 

That happens against good defenses. Give credit where it's due.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

The bills did not seem to have any game plan at all today, on either side of the ball. Colts seemed much better prepared. We did not touch rivers once in the game, & needed a series of miraculous toe dancing catches by the rookie davis to win this game. 

We had 0 sacks. 0 hits and 0 hurries. Our pass rush was probably the worst I've seen all year. As others have said both lines struggled today. And so did Daboll. He's going to get Josh killed if he doesn't dial back some of these runs.

• Like (+1) 1

I get this wasn't the easiest game to watch- I wasn't happy at all most of the game with alot of what they did on offense and defense. It led to me being on the edge of my seat in doubt alot.

But let's take a step back and breathe here - this was a play off game  and a win - ugly or not 

This team isn't some garbage team - it's a an 11-5 well rounded team- could we have played better absolutely- but we advanced

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t know what Daboll was thinking today.  He went back to the early in the season mindset and making head scratching calls, trying to force the run when it wasn’t there, too conservative at times, and went with too many called QB runs.  

We are a passing team, and when he turned it loose we moved the ball with ease.  

I really hope Daboll goes back to what we have scene all during the second half of the season.  

I respectfully disagree.  Our field position and inability to execute on short yardage rushing plays against a weak box really hurt the Bills today.  My only issue was with a few of the Allen outside keepers, but that's all.  I think the players would tell you the same thing.  5 on the 5 in the box should lead to a 3-5 rushing yards easily every single time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Why did we insist on the short kickoffs and the bringing out their kicks offs when struggling for Field Position?

Andre did this twice when the ball was kicked to the extreme right of the EZ.  I think his average FP was 17.5 yard line on these two kicks.  On a third kick in the middle of the field, he got to the 25 and was one man away from breaking it.  His missed FC punt also put us in a deep hole.  Andre made at a minimum three bad decisions that ruined our normally stellar return game.  That's not Frank outcoaching us, that's us screwing up.  Hopefully Andre gets his rectocephaly cured before the divisional round next week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t know what Daboll was thinking today.  He went back to the early in the season mindset and making head scratching calls, trying to force the run when it wasn’t there, too conservative at times, and went with too many called QB runs.  

We are a passing team, and when he turned it loose we moved the ball with ease.  

I really hope Daboll goes back to what we have scene all during the second half of the season.  

I thought we should’ve scrapped the running game.  I heard the ratio was 60/40.  Probably a bit too high given the fact that Indy has the second ranked defense.

We don’t know for sure whether the runs by Josh were the play call or if it was improvised.  

The only series I didn’t like were three straight runs deep in Bills territory and then the called run by Josh.

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

It seemed bad but

those are some good stats. 
3 total TD’s 

the goal for Indy was to keep the ball out of Josh’s hands.  

they pretty much succeeded. They just didn’t put up more points. 

its the playoffs and the competition is supposed to cause issues.  

Except they didn't cause issues? Allen was beating them through the air, hence the stats you showed. But Daboll refused to stick with and let Allen get in a rhythm. He forced bs qb sneaks and run plays against one of the best run D's and worst secondaries in the NFL. When he did the opposite all year long. Made absolutely no sense. It's like he was trying to keep the colts in the game.

The fact that allen was able to out up those numbers shows how good he is. It was despite Daboll not because of him.