Just gonna say it: Daboll’s worst game since the first half of the season

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t know what Daboll was thinking today.  He went back to the early in the season mindset and making head scratching calls, trying to force the run when it wasn’t there, too conservative at times, and went with too many called QB runs.  

We are a passing team, and when he turned it loose we moved the ball with ease.  

I really hope Daboll goes back to what we have scene all during the second half of the season.  

Allen making miraculous early Russ Wilson type plays out of the pocket saved the day.    

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t know what Daboll was thinking today.  He went back to the early in the season mindset and making head scratching calls, trying to force the run when it wasn’t there, too conservative at times, and went with too many called QB runs.  

We are a passing team, and when he turned it loose we moved the ball with ease.  

I really hope Daboll goes back to what we have scene all during the second half of the season.  

Well obviously field position in the 1st half hampered the offense.

Overall, I can't complain too much.  There were 2 drives that we could have tried to throw instead of run/use Josh as our RB.  But we overall played well offense, Davis with some huge catches but Josh took a bad sack then fumbled.

Colts have a solid team, solid defense.  They were a few plays from being 12-4 or 13-3. 

I'm not giving the offense or Daboll an A rating, but they didn't turn it over and managed some long scoring drives.  its the playoffs, this was a solid effort vs a very talented/coached defense

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Our running backs are not very good. They are both decent number 2s but neither is a guy I want to depend on when I gotta have a play.

Well the o-line Line run blocks about as well as I paint. And trust me I struggle with stick figures

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Comebackkid said:

Well the o-line Line run blocks about as well as I paint. And trust me I struggle with stick figures

I agree. The oline is built to pass block not to run block. But that isn't helped by two backs who really do not accelerate to the hole. When you combine an oline that struggles to hold its run blocks with two backs that don't hit the hole quickly you get an anaemic run game.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. The oline is built to pass block not to run block. But that isn't helped by two backs who really do not accelerate to the hole. When you combine an oline that struggles to hold its run blocks with two backs that don't hit the hole quickly you get an anaemic run game.

I would argue there are no holes. Jonathan Taylor would get more yards than our guys. But IMO they are not missing holes on 90% of the stuffs. They have nowhere to go. Especially short yardage 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I would argue there are no holes. Jonathan Taylor would get more yards than our guys. But IMO they are not missing holes on 90% of the stuffs. They have nowhere to go. Especially short yardage 

And it's even worse when they decide to do a delayed  hand off and the defense gets there by the time the running back gets the ball

• Like (+1) 1

Just going off of the title of the thread I’d say you nailed it.

He called a conservative game and changed everything they had been doing. Did McKenzie even touch the ball? Conservative runs on 2nd and third and short. 

Some of Allen running looked like it was things that Allen himself checked to. After that sideline hit early in the game he seemed to take it personal and wanted to challenge the Colts physically. 

Hopefully he grows from that. Daboll needs a stiff drink before the next game so he loosens up and gets back to being creative and not conservative. 

Edited by CommonCents

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There are some. Not a lot. But some. They are shut by the time our guys are up to speed. They would both be okay behind a big powerful line. The line would look less bad if they were blocking for backs with a proper burst. It is the combination of the two that is so ugly. 

20 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Well obviously field position in the 1st half hampered the offense.

Overall, I can't complain too much.  There were 2 drives that we could have tried to throw instead of run/use Josh as our RB.  But we overall played well offense, Davis with some huge catches but Josh took a bad sack then fumbled.

Colts have a solid team, solid defense.  They were a few plays from being 12-4 or 13-3. 

I'm not giving the offense or Daboll an A rating, but they didn't turn it over and managed some long scoring drives.  its the playoffs, this was a solid effort vs a very talented/coached defense

Colts were doing something that daboll thought he could exploit with designed qb runs im curious what it was...Colts tackled so well though josh got stood up a few times in the open field...i can't say I've ever seen that before 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Colts were doing something that daboll thought he could exploit with designed qb runs im curious what it was...Colts tackled so well though josh got stood up a few times in the open field...i can't say I've ever seen that before 

Colts were man to man alot with 4 man dline.  Just like when Josh ran to the 5 yard line at the end of 1st half then finished the drive with a RPO rushing Td.

Colts were a very well coached defense and had good talent.  They ranked ahead of us on defense by most analytics.

Bottom line is our 1st half starting field position was horrid.  Cant scheme much when you start at your 5 or 10 yrd line

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it was one of the worst coached games of the McDermott era. And not necessarily Sean himself. I thought the plans by all 3 coordinators were mystifying. 

Why did we keep running Allen?

Why did we keep blitzing Rivers on 3rd down?

Why did we insist on the short kickoffs and the bringing out their kicks offs when struggling for Field Position?

None of it made much sense. Now ultimately that is on Sean and he will take accountability I am sure, but the Bills had some strange plans.

While I agree on all of your points ... I believe "style points" only count during the game, once the final gun sounds the only thing that matters is was it a win or loss. So while I hated the game DURING the game, I love it now.

just sayin

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Gen2 said:

While I agree on all of your points ... I believe "style points" only count during the game, once the final gun sounds the only thing that matters is was it a win or loss. So while I hated the game DURING the game, I love it now.

just sayin

Ha. I totally get it. I will be there tomorrow I am sure. 

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Colts were man to man alot with 4 man dline.  Just like when Josh ran to the 5 yard line at the end of 1st half then finished the drive with a RPO rushing Td.

Colts were a very well coached defense and had good talent.  They ranked ahead of us on defense by most analytics.

Bottom line is our 1st half starting field position was horrid.  Cant scheme much when you start at your 5 or 10 yrd line

Right i think we were pretty conservative when backed up...if the Colts were holding up in man coverage then I would be less worried going forward since I don't think any other teams left in the playoffs can really do that to us 

I don't think Daboll called such a bad game. Maybe not his best, but the Colts were charged up and playing their best game.

Bills were getting beat all afternoon at the line of scrimmage. Rivers had all day to throw, and the Colts racked up ten minutes more TOP.

The Bills' offense scored a lot considering how little they had the ball, and how terrible their field position was.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the coaches messed up in not having the team ready.  Dumb return game errors and some play calls got us in a bad spot, and the d was an open book for a lot of the game.

The d did have a couple drives where they just played super fast and made things happen, including the goal line stand and the final drive.

Need to get back to that and going with strength on o.  Brown was a waste if a spot most of the game, I think he's not right physically, and beez isn't either.

Gives us good things to improve on!