Playoff Game Postgame Thread

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

anyone else feel like the offense held something back today? 

no motion, no sweeps, no trick plays. Seemed like a simple game plan 

I feel the same way. It's like they felt it would be an easier game and held back a bit. I felt the same with the Miami game in the 1st quarter.

12 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK, I had not seen this angle before.  As I stated in my post above:

In one angle couldn't at all see Poyers left hand as there was an officials body in the way. 

I do think if there was a camera exactly 180 degrees opposite of the 1st one that the officials body blocked the view of would have had a much clearer view.

This basically is that view from 180 degrees that I wanted to see.  From here I'd agree, his knee was up.  Don't think they showed this angle during the game though either?  There's a 57 second replay showing three camera angles on ESPN, but none from this direction either.   

This was the TV angle replay and I replayed it a bunch on my tv.  Thats why I knew it was clear.  I could see them getting it wrong on the field but they had this to look at in review.  It should have been ruled a fumble on review.  Sorry if I was harsh.  I assumed you seen this angle.

Edited by Scott7975

A baker's dozen thoughts on the game:

1.  Josh Allen 5-6 in 20+ air yards.  That stripe to Diggs was b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l

2.  Give Colts their due, they brought that clock to -1 on nearly every play.  Masterfully done.

3.  I won't lie, I gasped when that hail Rivers was thrown.  It seemed to me there was white behind blue in the endzone.

4.  I understand why Reich eschewed the field goal, I just don't think it was the right call in the game.

5.  The 96-yard drive afterwards changed the game and the momentum.  Gabe Davis with two incredible catches on that drive.

6.  The field position battle was brutal all through the first half.  

7.  The Colts TEs came to play.  They made a bunch of great snags, especially on third down.

8.  Letting the Colts drive twice in the fourth was nuts.  They made it seem so easy.

9.  Beasley was an absolute warrior out there today.  He made some very tough catches on one leg.

10. Allen's first TD pass, or rather shot put throw, was very fortunate to not have been called back for lineman downfield.  I will need to watch it again.

11.  Bass with a 54 yarder has erased any second guessing about him and his ability.  That would have been good from 60.

12.  The last two minutes of that game may have been the most stressed I have been in a long time.

13.  The monkey is off of Josh's back and is now squarely on Lamar's.  Go Titans.  Go Steelers.  

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Merle said:

Three things from this game worry me going forward in the playoffs:

1.  Designed QB runs are back from some reason - way too many, and mostly not effective, and exposed Josh to unnecessary hits.  Yes, the first one down near the goal line worked, but the second one was nearly a disaster ... that Josh turned into a "fluke" TD to Knox.

2.  "Bad Josh" showed up on the play where he lost 20 yards on a sack and nearly fumbled it away when the Bills  were within FG range near the end of the game.   

3.  Pass rush was pretty much non-existent.

4. Colts essentially left 7 points on the table (going for it on 4th down instead of FG, going for 2 instead of 1, doinked 33-yd FG) and lost by 3. 

On the other hand, this was exactly the type of game that the "old Bills" definitely would have lost somehow (either on that "hail Mary", or some other way).   The fact that they won "in spite of themselves" against a Colts team that was much better than anyone thought is a positive.

Go Bills!

I don't like "Bad Josh"?

Josh is pretty dang good and we have to allow our guys to make a mistake, don't we?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

In my opinion, during the huge sack play it looked as if Allen fought off the first man; then saw the other Colt. After seeing that Colt he looked as if he tried to tuck the ball in but the DE made a good play and stripped him.

Earlier in the half he was surrounded and just ate the sack. So Allen is learning that throwing the ball wildly when pressured  isn't wise and that there are occasions where you just have to eat it. To me that is a great sign of his growth.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

In my opinion, during the huge sack play it looked as if Allen fought off the first man; then saw the other Colt. After seeing that Colt he looked as if he tried to tuck the ball in but the DE made a good play and stripped him.

Earlier in the half he was surrounded and just ate the sack. So Allen is learning that throwing the ball wildly when pressured  isn't wise and that there are occasions where you just have to eat it. To me that is a great sign of his growth.

Also there are many more times he gets away from that than he doesnt and it usually results in a big play.  Can't complain about the bad if you want the good.  If he just went down and took every sack, we probably wouldn't win as much.  It's part of who he is and what this team needs.  It's also why the players love him and would run through brick walls for him.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This was the TV angle replay and I replayed it a bunch on my tv.  Thats why I knew it was clear.  I could see them getting it wrong on the field but they had this to look at in review.  It should have been ruled a fumble on review.  Sorry if I was harsh.  I assumed you seen this angle.

This was the angle I kept seeing them showing most of the time:

image.png.89b86db586c35a8dc9307ec2d8c09c87.png  

And the other angles ESPN  showed were with Poyer's body hiding his arm

image.png.82b0747ac80b527243fccc5c62c9202d.png 

And was a 3rd one with official's body in the way

Was doing alot of texting while watching so maybe missed that view.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I would agree with you on those angles you can't tell.  The angle I showed is the same one the TV showed which is why I assumed you seen it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was doing alot of texting while watching so maybe missed that view.

They show another angle which you could easily see Poyer didn't touch Pascal until his knee was off the ground. It was bang, bang, but they played it multiple times; so it was certainly a fumble. 

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I don't like "Bad Josh"?

Josh is pretty dang good and we have to allow our guys to make a mistake, don't we?

Yeah I hate this nickname too.  I watched Mahomes take a 20+ yard sack in the Miami game..  Just a horrible play.  No one calls him bad Patrick because of it.  QBs make mistakes.  It happens.  DId you watch the poor throws Russell made today?  These guys are gamers and are doing everything in their power to win.  If that is your lasting memory of this game, you missed the game.

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, Drifter said:

The Colts converted way too many 3rd downs. Tighten it up next week.

Seemed like every one was just inches beyond the marker as well. Game of thin margins there, so frustrating. 

3 hours ago, Tcali said:

Game ball Gabriel

Feel like he had kind of a rough patch recently but was absolutely clutch and saved his best game so far for the playoffs. What a draft pick.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually LOL'd at the above when I saw this live. That kick was huge and just thought this was an understated/hilarious reaction. Diggs is like 'Oh ok.'

@wjag great thoughts/observations above! Really think most people underestimated the Colts and they just played great rather than the Bills playing poorly. Josh played awesome (even setting some more records) and anyone saying that 'Bad Josh' showed up on that fumble is being harsh IMO. That was his only mistake of the entire game and Josh trying to make a play instead of taking the safe option is probably what won us this game.

Those two really quick/easy scoring drives in the 4th quarter were such a shock. Hines is sooooo slippery and the TEs were giving us fits. Indy was a really tough match up for us without Star/a true 1 Tech DT and their O-line is unbelievable. I thought outside of those two drives though, the defense came up clutch in some really big moments throughout the game though.

For anyone still feeling down about the game, at least we aren't the Seahawks (out of the playoffs) or the Rams (won, but several key injuries including Donald and Kupp). Hope Moss is doing alright, but otherwise I didn't notice any other injuries and we came out pretty healthy. Hopefully all our WRs can get back to 100% by next weekend!

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I don't like "Bad Josh"?

Agreed. 

Perfection does not exist, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi

Josh Allen was fu*kin excellent today. 

• Like (+1) 3

Today was huge for the growth of this young team.

They showed that even when things aren't going perfectly, even when the opponent is outgaining them and controlling the clock, even when they're losing the field position battle, even when the refs try to steal it from them....they can overcome adversity and get a win.

It's #4 on the list of McDermott-isms: "Find a way". 

Today, they found a way. They were mentally tough. This was a significant marker of growth.

Hopefully, this by-the-skin-of-their-teeth win will have them digging in, re-focusing, and realizing that they need to play even better next week. I bet they will.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

So yes, that feild position battle was really huge early on, was stunned at some of those early returns, Andre a bit off his game. One time , a ball sat so strange.

BTW not over concerned with lack of Bills pressure. This was a killer OL on their top game. It was a factor here, but the Bills will recover. We do need an elite rush DE going forward.

• Like (+1) 2