Ian Rapoport — the Bills are expected to approach Josh‘s representation for a Massive contract extension this spring or summer

1 minute ago, Jerry Jabber said:

If Mahomes is averaging $45M a year, I think Allen will get between $46-$50M a year. I’m guessing it will be for 5-6 years. 

If the Bills win the Super Bowl, sure. If not then less than that.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

If the Bills win the Super Bowl, sure. If not then less than that.

These guys try to get a bigger contract than the last guy as they want to be the highest paid player at their position. I think Allen will get more per year than Mahomes, but I’m not sure if the Bills give him a ten year contract similar to Mahomes.

• 3 weeks later...

Tough pill to swallow tonight but what a fun season.  I'm trying to stay optimistic that they will be able to fill some glaring holes through free agency and the draft but obviously, cap resources become much more constricted once Allen gets his extension.  There have been recent threads suggesting that the performance gap between Allen and Mahomes was becoming fairly narrow and while I love Josh, I still think there is a long ways to go.  Do you think the fact that he was significantly outplayed twice this year by Mahomes keeps that number south of the previously suggested $45M mark?   Any chance they pump the brakes on the extension and wait until the next offseason?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, butch rolle said:

Tough pill to swallow tonight but what a fun season.  I'm trying to stay optimistic that they will be able to fill some glaring holes through free agency and the draft but obviously, cap resources become much more constricted once Allen gets his extension.  There have been recent threads suggesting that the performance gap between Allen and Mahomes was becoming fairly narrow and while I love Josh, I still think there is a long ways to go.  Do you think the fact that he was significantly outplayed twice this year by Mahomes keeps that number south of the previously suggested $45M mark?   Any chance they pump the brakes on the extension and wait until the next offseason?

$30 to 35 million.  Minimum.  

there is a number that he is worth right now, and then there is a number he will be worth if he does this for a 2nd straight season. THey should try to get him for something like 35-40 tops. if he says no, see if he can do it again. if he does it again, you can go 45. if he doesn't want that, we were all fooled and he doesn't want to be here. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Josh seems like a team player and knows that to achieve greatness he needs other people. I suspect he will sign a team friendly deal, doesn’t mean he will be cheap

though 

What is team friendly? Ideally I would like to see something around 37 million a year, but he probably comes in around 40. He isn’t worth Mahomes money. Because he can’t beat Mahomes without help on D and we have to find the money somewhere. 

Just now, bills6969 said:

The only silver-lining after tonight’s outcome is we won’t have to give Allen a Mahomes level deal now.   He’ll probably get something just north of what Watson got.

That was my exact thinking as well.  A silver lining as I want Josh to be the frachise QB but I also don't want the team to paint themselves into a corner.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:29 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Yes just saying it wasn’t 100% obvious they would just extend long term this spring/summer. They could pick up the option and do it next year. Though his price will never be lower than it is now. 

And for that reason we should extend him now. I still see Josh improving. Tonight was filled with poor offensive and defensive game plans. I'm not beating Josh up for tonight.  Instead I sign him asap and thank my lucky stars we chose him over others. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

What is team friendly? Ideally I would like to see something around 37 million a year, but he probably comes in around 40. He isn’t worth Mahomes money. Because he can’t beat Mahomes without help on D and we have to find the money somewhere. 

One that allows team flexibility. Beane is a gm that knows the cap and I am sure he will work out a deal that allows him to manipulate it if need be. Whether that is a percentage based contract or one that is for less overall money but more guaranteed etc

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

One that allows team flexibility. Beane is a gm that knows the cap and I am sure he will work out a deal that allows him to manipulate it if need be. Whether that is a percentage based contract or one that is for less overall money but more guaranteed etc

I like Allen, and I think we can win a Super Bowl with him someday, but he needs to realize it’s a team sport and we need help on D to beat Mahomes. Because Allen proved today he can’t beat Mahomes with what he currently has. I hope his ego allows him to take the cuts necessary to bring the Lombardi to Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I like Allen, and I think we can win a Super Bowl with him someday, but he needs to realize it’s a team sport and we need help on D to beat Mahomes. Because Allen proved today he can’t beat Mahomes with what he currently has. I hope his ego allows him to take the cuts necessary to bring the Lombardi to Buffalo. 

Allen doesn’t strike me as someone that cares about money more than winning. He is willing to do whatever he can to win. He plays like that, and I bet he feels the same about his contract (within reason of course)