Ian Rapoport — the Bills are expected to approach Josh‘s representation for a Massive contract extension this spring or summer

6 hours ago, billsherd said:

Allen with fans vs no fans. Watch out this will be next stat coming out next year.

I'd wait another year to make sure this isn't a real thing.  I don't think it is but there's no need to rush a huge new deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's hard to see Josh doing better in '21 than he did in '20, because that would be a historic NFL season, so his reps want to get something done now.

Wouldn't be in any rush, I don't think we're going to get much of a discount anyway, going to pay market rates.  Lets see how next season goes, work from there.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I'd wait another year to make sure this isn't a real thing.  I don't think it is but there's no need to rush a huge new deal.

I agree.  Can someone explain why it has to happen now instead of next year?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Typically a great player gets a huge new deal after his 3rd season.

I suppose if they wait too long the player can threaten to test the market...which would be in year six or seven. 

2 minutes ago, bouds said:

It's hard to see Josh doing better in '21 than he did in '20, because that would be a historic NFL season, so his reps want to get something done now.

Wouldn't be in any rush, I don't think we're going to get much of a discount anyway, going to pay market rates.  Lets see how next season goes, work from there.

Having Josh's stats decline next season could actually be a good thing if it means we have developed a strong running game. Josh was asked to do way to much throwing all the time. I get its a QB driven league but you still have to be able to run the ball. If the Bills had an offense that was balanced then that would make Allen that much more dangerous.

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It doesn’t matter what Mahomes has. Allen couldn’t beat him with the roster we currently have. We are nearly maxed out in cap space. Allen has to decide on taking less money to allow better team talent to compete against KC or taking Mahomes type of money and suffering as a team because of it. 

Well Mahomes new contract kicks in next year so we will see how KC ends up handling it over the next few years.

57 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

They just need to sit down with Josh this year and tell him that we weren't good enough this year and we need the money to get the players we need to win the big games.

I feel like Josh is the kind of guy to understand the money will come to him- but now is not the time.

If they sign him the big cap hits won't start for another year. The Bills still have 1 more year to load up around Josh. 

im not super worried about this.  i am a huge huge JA supporter, and honestly think he has the god given talent and drive to be the best ever, but cap issues are a reality.

the issue right now is our team is a couple few draft picks and a lot of free agents.  some have been huge values (diggs, even with the cost of the trade, our two safeties prior to their new contracts at the least, beez, you might be able to toss in a couple more) but plenty have been meh at best or are declining in value now.  we have a couple big hits in drafting, allen being the shining star obv, but guys like ford, edmunds, wallace, epenesa, knox, singletary, phillips, have so far just not been real impact players vs where they were drafted.

we need an ozzie newsome type draft where everyone we get is a size speed weight guy who can play and is just nasty.  teller seems to be that kind of value now (total 2020 hindsight, i didn't think he was special before) and we need a few of them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

I agree.  Can someone explain why it has to happen now instead of next year?

Because it’s not just up to team to decide when the negotiations happen.  Josh had a great year and probably wants new deal now before risking something happening next year.  He has leverage now.

• Agree 1

Just now, Do The Reich Thing said:

He deserves nothing more than Ryan Tannehill’s contract right now. If we can get it done for that I’m on board. If not let him play out his remaining two years. 

He is going to get paid this summer, and it’ll be between $35 million and $40 million per year. Just accept it. He just had the best season ever for a Bills QB, and was good last year too. 

Just now, bills6969 said:

Because it’s not just up to team to decide when the negotiations happen.  Josh had a great year and probably wants new deal now before risking something happening next year.  He has leverage now.

Exactly. People need to accept that a contract is happening this off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He is going to get paid this summer, and it’ll be between $35 million and $40 million per year. Just accept it. He just had the best season ever for a Bills QB, and was good last year too. 

You might be able to get 35 a year now.  You play hard ball you turn the business switch and competitive nature of the player will come out.  If he plays better than Mahomes next year wins the MVP do you pay him more than Mahomes?  

• Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

You might be able to get 35 a year now.  You play hard ball you turn the business switch and competitive nature of the player will come out.  If he plays better than Mahomes next year wins the MVP do you pay him more than Mahomes?  

He's going to get paid this summer. Just accept it. 

• Like (+1) 1