Colts Running Game could limit Bills offense

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Ok, I know we (and I) are all pumped to wipe these guys out tomorrow, but since Indy

-- has perhaps the best Oline Bills have seen in a while  (just as the Giants did in SB 25), 

-- a limited QB (just as the Giants did with Hostetler) 

-- has solid , big, ground and pound productive RBs (just like NYG with Ottis Anderson)

-- a playcaller who was there on the sidelines for SB25

Won't Reich just  play ugly ball, run the ball 40+ times behind that O line, throw short quick passes (they do this anyway) and thereby limit the Bills to 8 or 9 possessions in the game, just as Parcells did in SB 25?   Bills play 90%+ 5 dbs and a fairly lightweight front 6 , discouraging the pass (successfully) and demanding that the opposition run the ball? 

I mean you can't score if you don't have the ball-- this is what happened in SB25.   Game ended up being way closer than it should have been, as the Giants had the ball for 2/3 of the game.   In the absence of Star, Quinton Nelson will absolutely maul any of the Bills D lineman.  

Sorry, I guess I am too old and remember how the Giants kept that game so close.   For sure, if Bruce just gets Hostetler to drop that ball in the end zone the game tide shifts, but in the absence of turnovers and ST magic, I can see the Colts making this game slow, ugly and close.   What say you?   The comparisons of the what the Giants did and what the Colts potentially have the tools to do to slow down a high flying offensive team seem a little too tight for comfort.  

Go Bills!  

Could not agree more. What else can the Colts do but stick with the best (only) tools in their toolbox, just as the Giants did in SB XXV? The notion that Frank isn't pondering the exact same scenario is not realistic. Like you said, he was an eyewitness on the sideline to that outcome. However, a few things we have going for us that we did not for that Super Bowl: (1) A strong kicker playing lights out with his FG's; (2) Bills coaching staff knows the same things we armchair types do on this thread and can gameplan accordingly; (3) Colts D is not as strong as that Giants team was, meaning better chance we come away with points per drive/extend the drives we do have.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/1990.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2020.htm

Oh, and we're due!!!

The Colts are coming off 6 bad quarters of football and just barely beat the worst team in the league.  If not for the Bills knocking the ever-loving snot out of the Dols, they would have missed the playoffs.  While they should in no way be taken lightly, I think this was the best first round matchup the Bills could have asked for and I expect a win.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I see what you mean...BUT

Ok, they come down and they score 3....we take it down and score 7

They try to run the clock and run the ball - hold them again to 3

We pass heavy again - get 7

repeat....

Thing is the Bills put up points when they have it - so what?  Not worried.  Philip Rivers doesnt scare me

They havent beat anyone - GB had 3 fumbles - it was a let down game for them...HUGE

AND STILL it took overtime....

Indy got dominated by a Pittsburgh team we dominated....had one good half against Pittsburgh....not gonna cut it.

Buffalo is the 2 seed guys - we didnt just squeak in this year.  13-3 dominated - beat A LOT of teams with excellent records....

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Ok, I know we (and I) are all pumped to wipe these guys out tomorrow, but since Indy

-- has perhaps the best Oline Bills have seen in a while  (just as the Giants did in SB 25), 

-- has solid , big, ground and pound productive RBs (just like NYG with Ottis Anderson)

Won't Reich just  play ugly ball, run the ball 40+ times behind that O line, throw short quick passes (they do this anyway) and thereby limit the Bills to 8 or 9 possessions in the game, just as Parcells did in SB 25?   Bills play 90%+ 5 dbs and a fairly lightweight front 6 , discouraging the pass (successfully) and demanding that the opposition run the ball? 

I mean you can't score if you don't have the ball-- this is what happened in SB25.   Game ended up being way closer than it should have been, as the Giants had the ball for 2/3 of the game.   In the absence of Star, Quinton Nelson will absolutely maul any of the Bills D lineman.  

Sorry, I guess I am too old and remember how the Giants kept that game so close.   For sure, if Bruce just gets Hostetler to drop that ball in the end zone the game tide shifts, but in the absence of turnovers and ST magic, I can see the Colts making this game slow, ugly and close.   What say you?   The comparisons of the what the Giants did and what the Colts potentially have the tools to do to slow down a high flying offensive team seem a little too tight for comfort.  

Go Bills!  

They can run the ball all  they want but if they don't score TD's they are gonna lose the game easily.

Im not saying Jonathan Taylor isnt good, BUT over the last 6 weeks, who have they played?

Against good competition 

@Pitt - 74 yards  - Ranks 11 in yards given up
Ten - 12 yards....12 - ewww, they rank 19th...
Baltimore - 27...yes, 27 - 8th

Where do the teams he had big games line up in terms of Rush Defense
Jax - 30th
LV - 24th
Houston (2nd time mind you) - 32 (he had 83 the first time around against them...)

Where does Buffalo rank?

Rank 17th in yards given up on the ground - last 3 games, given up 118.

Id say its going to be around 85-110 yards for him maybe a score - but thats not going to kill us?

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Go Bills!  

Could very well be their game plan.  Their running yards haven't really been from a ground and pound game plan though.  Their backs normally get their yards from big gain runs (20+ yards or so).  You bust a few runs each possession to a score, that doesn't use the clock like this strategy might suggest.  Some for sure.

While any game remains a game, every possession is important.  It's been that way all season.  We haven't punted the ball much.  We don't punt a few possessions and the Colts do, this game plan has to change.  And then we're off to the races.

23 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Buffalo is the 2 seed guys - we didnt just squeak in this year.  13-3 dominated - beat A LOT of teams with excellent records....

I know right!

Remember when people were saying our schedule is tough and the Bills will be lucky to win 8 games. Then they said they can't see them winning 9 games after their back to back losses to the Chiefs and Titans. 

Well they won 13 and dominated some good teams. This team is no smoke and mirrors joke lucky to win games. Bills will absolutely be a tough out! if that even happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think you guys all underestimate how strong the Giants defense in 90 was. #1 in Pts allowed, #2 in yards allowed, #1 in Yards/Pass etc. Not to mention that Belichick and Parcells were running it. The Colts defense is not in that class.

this too. Yes the colts have the best oline in the league but now their secondary has been ranked 31st the last 10 weeks or so 

24 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Im not saying Jonathan Taylor isnt good, BUT over the last 6 weeks, who have they played?

Against good competition 

@Pitt - 74 yards  - Ranks 11 in yards given up
Ten - 12 yards....12 - ewww, they rank 19th...
Baltimore - 27...yes, 27 - 8th

Where do the teams he had big games line up in terms of Rush Defense
Jax - 30th
LV - 24th
Houston (2nd time mind you) - 32 (he had 83 the first time around against them...)

Where does Buffalo rank?

Rank 17th in yards given up on the ground - last 3 games, given up 118.

Id say its going to be around 85-110 yards for him maybe a score - but thats not going to kill us?

Taylor ran for over 200 yards against the Jags...and they still barely won.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The Super Bowl 25 strategy is commonly used when teams are facing offensive powerhouses.  It's nothing special or unique.  It was actually our strategy back when we played the Chiefs earlier this year.

There were two key reasons that gameplan worked for the Giants 30 years ago:

1.  The juggernaut Bills passing offense came out ridiculously flat, and played pretty bad for most of the day.

2.  The Bills defense continually failed to make tackles on key 3rd downs, constantly letting New York extend drives.

Jim Kelly barely cracked 200 yards passing in that game, with zero touchdown passes.  We had 12 points at halftime.  The week before (in the AFC Championship), we had 41 points at halftime.  If our offense (which had 4 eventual Hall of Famers on it), had shown even the slightest signs of life in that game, we could have forced the Giants to abandon the run and rely on the arm of Jeff Hostetler.  As it stood, the only thing working for us was Thurman Thomas and we got into a ground battle that didn't favor us in the slightest.

The Colts have a good team everywhere.  Except in the secondary, where they are below-average and have multiple injuries.  This is where the Bills have a major advantage, regardless of Frank Reich's strategy.  If Josh Allen and the passing offense come out and play well, the Colts are going to be in big trouble.  If they come out and look like Weeks 5-8, then it's very likely this game is tight in the late 4th Quarter.

A weakness of the K-Gun was the ability to get it them off the field quickly. Lots of very short drives when things weren't clicking. The Bills also punted from mid-field or even inside the Giants territory multiple times. This Bills team is the best in the league at converting on 3rd down, and going for it on 4th to extend drives. 

Also, Jim was calling his own plays and didn't have Brian Dabol in his ear making adjustments. Jim was great, but he didn't have the help that Josh has. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Taylor ran for over 200 yards against the Jags...and they still barely won.

Against  a 1-15 team...

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I think it helps that Taylor put up 250 last week.  You usually don't see anything close to that 2 weeks in a row.

Anyone remember one of our last '90's playoff runs, where we put up over 300 yards on the ground?  I can't remember the opponent, but they put the Bills on the cover of SI with the headline "Buffalo Stampede."  I think the next week, we were pretty much shut down on the ground and lost.

I think Oliver has a real breakout game, too. He has been solid all season, but I have a feeling he'll be very disruptive tomorrow and have at least a few tackles for losses.

6 minutes ago, Success said:

Anyone remember one of our last '90's playoff runs, where we put up over 300 yards on the ground?  I can't remember the opponent, but they put the Bills on the cover of SI with the headline "Buffalo Stampede."  I think the next week, we were pretty much shut down on the ground and lost.

Was that the Canadian Comet game against the phins?  I still lol at that.  Someone here called him the 'vomit comet'

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

this too. Yes the colts have the best oline in the league but now their secondary has been ranked 31st the last 10 weeks or so 

I think fully healthy Cleveland's has been better this year but I don't dispute they have a very good oline.

Bass doesn't go wide right from 47 yards out

That Giants SB25 D sold all out to stop the pass.  And they did because we were stubborn enough to play right into it.  Recall TT had a ton of yards and that was all we had to do.  Run EVERY down

• Like (+1) 1