What Was Your Initial Reaction To Sean McDermott as Bills HC?

JohnNord

17 hours ago, Blue on Blue said:

He struck me as the biggest nerd in high school who was also the, um, state champion wrestler.  I considered that kind of personal range a lethal combination, and I still do.

In other words you weren't going to tell him that for fear he'd kick your teeth in!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I was extremely glad to see Rex fired; I thought Rex's hiring was a mistake from day one.

I knew nothing about McDermott; I was a little nervous about his religiosity, but happy to see the change and willing to give him a chance to win me over.

Which he most certainly has. I like the way he has learned and changed on the job. 

I liked McD right from the get go because of the way he came across to me as a tell it like it is, straight forward kinda guy. I found McD's steely personality an attractive quality for a HC. Thanks to @Rochesterfan my view of HC's in the league and how it relates to longevity and sustained success has changed. McD's message seems as fresh and as easy to listen to today as it did at the beginning of the process.

I just wish @Rochesterfan would post more.   :  ) 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Meh.  Never really heard of him, wasn't impressed with the hire.  Wasn't a fan of his game management at first, but he's done better as he's gone on.  We've beaten the crap out of so many teams this year that even when he makes the rare game management error, it doesn't hurt us.  He's gotten a ruthless streak lately, running it up on teams so that they can't come back like Houston did last year in the playoffs.  He seems determined not to repeat that mistake.

Where you cannot fault McD is his leadership.  He is a superb leader of men, and his organization this year in the face of Covid was nothing short of astonishing.  He had the Bills ready to play in every game except TEN, but can't blame him for that, the NFL jerked us around mercilessly.  I think we're lucky to have him, and if anyone can overcome the loss of Daboll, McD can.

I was wrong about him.  I take my crow medium well.

His first 3 years in my opinion were the growing pains of a unexperienced coach. Game management wasn't really ever bad with McD but it was average at best. He has become a lot stronger in that respect. He developed a bit of a cautious nature his first three years which really manifested its self in the 2019 playoffs (which made sense given that Josh was still growing and Tyrod was the QB in 2017) but he has since corrected that in 2020 and developed his team to have a killer instinct. I think he has developed himself into being a good head coach. I hope he has that killer instinct to win in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 2

My first reaction was this guy really has a principled plan, quickly evidenced with Pegulas temporarily turning over FO power to him.  What relief and hope.  Firstly a head coach needs to be a leader with a plan.  He's continuously improved, as with everyone else, and seems like a great field coach now.

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

His first 3 years in my opinion were the growing pains of a unexperienced coach. Game management wasn't really ever bad with McD but it was average at best. He has become a lot stronger in that respect. He developed a bit of a cautious nature his first three years which really manifested its self in the 2019 playoffs (which made sense given that Josh was still growing and Tyrod was the QB in 2017) but he has since corrected that in 2020 and developed his team to have a killer instinct. I think he has developed himself into being a good head coach. I hope he has that killer instinct to win in the playoffs.  

His one game management tactic that I can't stand is deciding you're going 4th and puss, you have no intention of snapping the ball, and then you waste a TO.  Just take the DOG and punt.

At the time I was sick of watching and rooting for a consistent bottom 10 offense so I was a bit dissapointed to see a "defensive minded" guy get the job.  

After his first year, despite the surprise playoff appearance, I was firmly skeptical of McDermott.  His aggressiveness, in game decisions, and conservative offense looked a lot like the coaching I was used to in Buffalo.

Staring in 2019 and even more so this year, as his confidence in the offense (mainly the QB) built I noticed a coach that seemed to be doing almost all of the smart stuff.  Super aggressive on 4th down, aggressive play calling, attacking opponents weaknesses.  Thats what impresses me the most about McDermott, hes seems very open minded and willing to change if the "smart" guys tell him it will help the team.  Hes really blossomed into exactly the coach I hoped for.

I was pretty pleased, actually. He'd been a hot name for a little while given his work in Carolina. And then through interviews in 2016 (when he almost was hired by Cleveland, I think) he earned a reputation as an incredibly good interview and someone who was prepared on every level and had been studying to be a head coach his entire career. 

IIRC, after their first interview, Terry was like, "That's our guy, I don't even know if I wanna meet with anyone else." Of course they did because that's how it works but from all accounts they were absolutely blown away during his interview. 

He was such a breath of fresh air from Rex and Marrone. Frickin' Marrone was a moody weenie who couldn't handle the media where as Rex was in full on "mail it in" mode while loving the media. McD came in and was all business from day one. He picked three cornerstone players in his first draft while making it work with a front office he had no ties to. And then after that 2017 draft, they brought Beane onboard and let him clear out bad contracts and players that weren't gonna be a fit for what McD wanted to do. 

They had a plan, drew up the blueprint, stayed the course and righted the ship. They gave a textbook example to the rest of the league on how you do a complete and total rebuild with a massive culture shift on top of it. 

He can coach here until he's 90 for all I care. Beane too. Love these guys. 

Edited by blacklabel

Initial reaction was, I had no idea who he was. Wasn't super excited though knowing he had never been a head coach before. Didn't love that he came from the defensive side of things either. Then lots of media/fans acting like he was a younger dick jauron. Definitely wasn't thrilled at the time. Plus I believe the bills were going to interview Reich which I was excited about. Definitely wouldn't want anyone else at this point though 

17 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

no initial reaction. just wait and see. same way i felt about drafting allen and trading for Diggs. 

i'll admit to being dumb enough to get excited for the rex hire back in the day. my thoughts on such matters should not be respected!

I was also excited when we got Wrecks.

Part of it was that he had played NE tough when with the Jets and part of it was my ingrained Bills inferiority complex channeling my inner Susan Lucci finally being recognized and winning an award...

Those feelings did not age well.

Edited by WideNine

19 hours ago, RiotAct said:

he seemed more competent than Rex the clownshow, at least

I think I was in a pretty skeptical and indifferent state by that point. The firing Rex, keeping Whaley but kind of hiding him all felt dysfunctional and like anyone outside a big proven guy would be tough to change the culture. 

He’s done well. 

Edited by NoSaint

I was just glad it wasn't Anthony Lynn or anyone else ever associated with Rex Ryan's clown show.  Other than that I had no opinion.

The comical answer would be:  I thought, half the Carolina players, coaches & management will be arriving in Orchard Park soon.