What Was Your Initial Reaction To Sean McDermott as Bills HC?

JohnNord

I recall reading several pieces on McDermott as he made the rounds and thinking that it felt different this time. It was just "a name" or a flash in the pan type of hype, the search conducted felt didactic, truly strategic and with reason and logic to drive their objectives. In other words, to me the emotion and rush to judgment was removed and they utilized the league's resources which evaluate candidates objectively and make recommendations. 

Once he took over the role and I started to read and hear more, the more confident I became. Once Beane was brought on and then the talent in the Front Office assembled and read more of their resumes, the more excited I became. After the Draft and into the summer when trades started taking place their identity and values began to take shape and my resolve in my "trust" in them grew. By the time the 2018 Draft came around and decisions were made, I felt confidence in the team and the FO, which was the first time I could say that with conviction since the 90's. 

McDermott caught a lot of flak on this board because of his clapping, some panned clichés when he first came on and his general approach in the media. But to me, he was careful to keep issues between him and his players or staff yet honest enough to not feel like listening to him was a waste of time. Beane's transparency from the beginning was remarkable in my mind and to me, he endeared himself to the fan base in those very moments. All in all, once the Bills started playing and players started talking about the team and the difference in culture, I couldn't have constructed a better HC for the Bills. 

35 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I knew we had a coach when he won at the defending NFC champion Falcons early in the year with a bunch of journeyman. That was a massive talent gap that was made up for. 

Still to this day one of his best wins. As was the one at KC later in that season.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Struck me as the polar opposite of rex

Two thoughts.  I 100% agree with you on this.  I think it is a natural consequence of one failed hiring  to make the next that has strengths that counter the previous one's weaknesses.  In this case, discipline and attention to detail.  The second thought was that he looked like Ron Howard's pumped up twin brother.

I was initially neutral in my feelings about the hire, but soon realized he could coach, and have been pleased with his efforts since.

Go Bills!!!

I was thrilled. He was the guy I wanted as soon as I saw his name on the interview list. I pounded the table for him. I’ve been a fan of his since 2013, when his Carolina defense really turned the corner (with a bunch of no name players) in the 2nd half of that season. I remember reading about him as an up&comer when he was in Philly and I followed his defenses in carolina (top 10 almost every year!). That 2015 Carolina defense was amazing! and I loved that guys were having so much fun.

I'm always all in, immediately, on every Bills decision.

That probably sounds homer, but my reasoning is that I don't know nearly as much as the people who do this stuff for a living, and I have to trust what they do.  Obviously, for 20 years prior to McD, that outlook really didn't pan out. But even during our worst years, the people in charge still knew a lot more than me.

13 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

sdf.thumb.jpg.d4538292d0b4cc31eeae5e3339e25718.jpg

I think this photo came out shortly after things he finalized his contract and I was...in awe?

Looked up some of his mic'd ups with Carolina and saw/heard lots of intensity and detail in his approach, and I liked that

As for the press conference, I got absolutely nothing out of it, and I was okay with that - polar opposite to Rex like Yolo had mentioned earlier. He seemed polite (asking reporters their names) and too reserved.

So you’re telling me Doug Whaley had something to do with his hiring??

Rex Ryan was like having norovirus where you purge your guts out, and it sucks, but in the end you're glad that it's finally gone.  Getting that gross analogy out of the way, I admit that I was relieved for a change, but basically indifferent as to the hire itself (Bills have had a lot of terrible coaches over the years plus Whaley and Brandon were still in the building at the time).

I'm glad that the team started cutting dead weight early, and it was apparent from early on that the guy could coach.  I didn't know he'd be this good, but not knowing this (and having the team be in a great position now) are good problems to have.

Edited by Groin

This was the first Bills coaching hire post Marv that I didn't hate or shake my head at.  I was cautiously optimistic. Prior to this there were some hires (Jauron for starters) that just flat out made me angry.  This one though, didn't make me feel hopeless.

I've just watched the clip and it's funny that back then the Bills were just so insignificant. They weren't a joke - the Jets are a joke but at least they're entertaining. The Bills were just dull and lifeless, doing the same old things and making the same old moves every year. Jauron, Gailey, Marv as GM, Buddy Nix. 

Rex gave us a brief shot in the arm with his "it's waiting to get on" stuff but he just came across as a buffoon. 

Seeing the Bills logo behind McD there, I can remember thinking about other fan's perceptions when they saw that during press conferences and stuff, because the team had been so insignificant for so long.

It's pretty amazing to see the team now. When you look at that logo you think about a team that's entertaining and together, innovative and tough. You think of Allen and White and Milano and Diggs, all those players other fans would drool over.

The transformation has been pretty incredible. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Initial reaction was good hire, I liked the coaching tree he was from and who he learned from

But when he had the intro press conference I thought he sounded kinda out there and thought maybe thats why he has never had a head coach job for so long. He always seemed to interview each year and never landed any until then

I had mixed feelings.

I was glad that Rex was gone and that we weren't hiring another retread.

I was hoping for an offensive minded coach, but I did research on McDermott and saw that he was a student of Jim Johnson in Philadelphia, which to me was a big positive.

McDermott's first press conference was bland, but I'm more interested in a head coach's actions rather than if they can keep the media entertained.

From his first moves in free agency and the draft in 2017, I liked what I was seeing. The addition of Beane only added more.

It's amazing what McDermott has accomplished in a rather short time here, and I cannot wait to see how the rest of this journey continues.