What Was Your Initial Reaction To Sean McDermott as Bills HC?

JohnNord

It’s almost 4 years to the day that the Bills announced the hiring on Carolina Panthers DC Sean McDermott.   It’s crazy to think that he’s probably the most successful Bills coach over his first 4 seasons.  

What was your initial reaction then to his hiring?

I was close to an all-time frustration level with the Bills - specifically with Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley.  I wanted them both fired and for Terry to start a clean.  Actually, I wanted the Pegulas to hire Bill Polian as President to hire his own GM and Coach.  I thought the Pegulas were clueless and that they needed an experienced executive like to Polian to turn the franchise around.  Foolish thinking.  

As for the McDermott hiring, I was pretty indifferent.  I didn’t really know much about him from Carolina other than the fact they had a great defense the year that they went to the Super Bowl.  

I also knew from the Rex experiment that sometimes hiring a retread coach is not always the best option.  At the time in 2015, I thought the Rex hire was a great move.  Little did I know....

So I guess I was sightly cautiously optimistic but was taking a “wait and see” approach.  I felt that the team would suck in 2017 but that a tank year would give them a shot at drafting a legit franchise QB which was what they needed.   I knew that if they found a legit franchise QB it would solve all of their problems and you can argue that’s kind of what happened, though McDermott’s coaching and defense helped a ton as well

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wasn't too familiar with him, liked what he had to say at his introduction press conference and was willing to give him a chance.  Wasn't sure if he was going to be the guy to take us back to being a true contender but I definitely thought at the bare minimum he would be the bridge guy that took us from being perennial doormats into at least being a respected playoff team...so here we are in Year 4 and he has exceeded my expectations.  Well done Coach! 

• Like (+1) 5

I thought he was LeBeau part II. I think he was way over his head in the coaching department on offense, but he understands motivation and how to be a team probably than any coach in the league. After year 1 I was fascinated because we made the playoffs and we sucked. 

29 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s almost 4 years to the day that the Bills announced the hiring on Carolina Panthers DC Sean McDermott.   It’s crazy to think that he’s probably the most successful Bills coach over his first 4 seasons.  

What was your initial reaction then to his hiring?

I was close to an all-time frustration level with the Bills - specifically with Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley.  I wanted them both fired and for Terry to start a clean.  Actually, I wanted the Pegulas to hire Bill Polian as President to hire his own GM and Coach.  I thought the Pegulas were clueless and that they needed an experienced executive like to Polian to turn the franchise around.  Foolish thinking.  

As for the McDermott hiring, I was pretty indifferent.  I didn’t really know much about him from Carolina other than the fact they had a great defense the year that they went to the Super Bowl.  

I also knew from the Rex experiment that sometimes hiring a retread coach is not always the best option.  At the time in 2015, I thought the Rex hire was a great move.  Little did I know....

So I guess I was sightly cautiously optimistic but was taking a “wait and see” approach.  I felt that the team would suck in 2017 but that a tank year would give them a shot at drafting a legit franchise QB which was what they needed.   I knew that if they found a legit franchise QB it would solve all of their problems and you can argue that’s kind of what happened, though McDermott’s coaching and defense helped a ton as well

Sean McDermott who? At first, I didn’t like it because I didn’t know who he was. That said, he won me over pretty quickly.

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Struck me as the polar opposite of rex

This.  Anything that wasn't like Rex was a smart move.

I wasn't thrilled with the hire for sure but he didn't seem like a blowhard that was going to tell everyone we are the best because "I SAID SO"

• Like (+1) 1