Recommendation: La Nova or Bocce pizza for nationwide delivery?

Buftex

So, planning for the Super Bowl... been craving good Buffalo pizza for a while.  Haven't been home for over a year now, it's killing me.  I was thinking of splurging this year to get pizza delivered from either La Nova or Bocce, delivered to me in Texas.

I know both are beloved...growing up there, Bocce was not a big part of my pizza life, but I have had it a handful of times in the ensuing years, on visits back. Delicious. 

I always loved La Nova, but the one other time I did this (probably 7 or 8 years ago) it was good... but not as good as I wanted it to be, for the price.  I still love their pizza when I go home...but having it delivered across country just wasn't the same. At the time, they were the only ones I know that offered this kind of service.  Now, I see Bocce does as well.

Anyone had them both delivered across country? Which was better?

Also, never had wings from Bocce.  Are they good?  I had La Nova's delivered, and they were great.  I know both places make great pizza, but asking more specifically about the nation-wide delivery.

Edited by Buftex

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You can't find good pizza in your local area in Texas?  

It's pizza.  There's probably some WNY ex-pat in your area.

Pizza here is mostly pretty terrible.  The only decent places are NY Style pizza....not bad, but not Buffalo style.  

3 hours ago, Bob Lamb said:

Bocce's - Too late to order though - cut off for the weekend is 2 PM Thursday  

No I am talking about Super Bowl weekend...I got a feelin'

No matter who is playing, I will be watching it...good pizza would only make it better!  

Bob, have you ever had their wings?  Are they good?

Edited by Buftex

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You can't find good pizza in your local area in Texas?  

It's pizza.  There's probably some WNY ex-pat in your area.

In Sarasota we had some ex-pats who made good pizza (Casa di Pizza in particular), but I have yet to find anything worth getting excited about in Atlanta. I’ve tried a couple, but IMO they fail. 

I don’t even remember LaNova as a kid, but Bocce was a special treat at night out by the community pool. Memories that stick with you from your childhood like that are special! 

I’ve had Bocce’s when I get back to WNY and will have the leftovers in my hotel room for breakfast. Still love it! I’ve also had it delivered to me many states away and while good, it’s never quite the same. You can’t expect it to be AS good, but still pretty good for a guy who remembers pizza that way. 

IF we get past the Colts, I’ll consider grilling wings and ordering Bocce’s. The inability to have large gatherings limits my options, unfortunately. The highlight, however, would be beef on weck. It’s much easier than you might think and deli roast beef will due just fine. Charlie The Butcher makes it easy on the link below.  Use the jus in packets, not beef broth from the can. 

I pray we have to figure out how to prepare for a Bills Super Bowl in the very near future! 

https://www.charliethebutcher.com

It will be better and easier than the pizza. 

I'm not familiar w/ La Nova (I went to college in Buffalo) but used to LOVE Bocce's.  I haven't had it "in person" in like 30 yrs but I have had it delivered overnight to Albany NY a few times.  So it's not a direct comparison but I tend to agree w/ others that it's good, but not as good as fresh/local.

• Like (+1) 1

We've done Bocce before and it worked out great, would recommend. But as others pointed out it may be too late for this weekend. Just saw you are planning for SB weekend. Absolutely, Bocce.

And I absolutely feel you on having no good pizza places. I'm in the heart of Atlanta, and can find good wings plenty of places, but not one decent pizza place in the entire Greater Atlanta area. Even the "Buffalo Owned" Gala's is ok, but still not on par or even really close.

Good luck!

Edited by DrDawkinstein

14 hours ago, Buftex said:

Pizza here is mostly pretty terrible.  The only decent places are NY Style pizza....not bad, but not Buffalo style.  

No I am talking about Super Bowl weekend...I got a feelin'

No matter who is playing, I will be watching it...good pizza would only make it better!  

Bob, have you ever had their wings?  Are they good?

I have not been able to find good pizza in Texas.  I have found one sports bar for average wings.  

Have you shipped pizza before - not sure how it would hold up.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I have not been able to find good pizza in Texas.  I have found one sports bar for average wings.  

Have you shipped pizza before - not sure how it would hold up.

I had LaNova shipped about 7 or 8 years ago...it was pretty great...though like others mention, it loses a little in the shipping. 

It is expensive, and comes shipped in dry-ice.  It was something like $40 shipping for the first pizza, and $10 for each additional.  I think I spent about $150 to get everything. I got three pies...ate two with some friends for the Super Bowl, and froze the third one til the beginning of the next season.  It was great too.

I normally wouldn't indulge in something this ridiculously expensive...having not been back home since Thanksgiving of 2019 I have been dreaming about Buffalo pizza.  If anybody has ever lived away from Buffalo, I can't emphasize enough how bad pizza is, the further south you go...and it is expensive as hell.  

When I ordered from La Nova, I got wings too.  They were really good too....at the time, wings were pretty awful around here too (I'm in Austin), but there are some okay options for wings locally now.

I really like LaNova, at one time they were the only place in town that I knew of that shipped nationally...now I have learned the Bocce does as well.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

In Sarasota we had some ex-pats who made good pizza (Casa di Pizza in particular), but I have yet to find anything worth getting excited about in Atlanta. I’ve tried a couple, but IMO they fail. 

https://www.charliethebutcher.com

It will be better and easier than the pizza. 

Casa di Pizza in Buffalo was my family go to, most of my growing up.  They shut down, as the owner retired, a few years ago.  He then re-opened in Florida. I guess it was Sarasota.  Are they still open there?

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Casa di Pizza in Buffalo was my family go to, most of my growing up.  They shut down, as the owner retired, a few years ago.  He then re-opened in Florida. I guess it was Sarasota.  Are they still open there?

I was there last summer and looked them up. Seems they are still open but moved location a little north to more of a Bradenton address. I know we have posters around here in that general area, and I am jealous of both their weather and their pizza options! 

We are spending the last week of this month in Sarasota (Siesta Key) and I’ll probably try to get up there and check them out. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buftex said:

So, planning for the Super Bowl... been craving good Buffalo pizza for a while.  Haven't been home for over a year now, it's killing me.  I was thinking of splurging this year to get pizza delivered from either La Nova or Bocce, delivered to me in Texas.

I know both are beloved...growing up there, Bocce was not a big part of my pizza life, but I have had it a handful of times in the ensuing years, on visits back. Delicious. 

I always loved La Nova, but the one other time I did this (probably 7 or 8 years ago) it was good... but not as good as I wanted it to be, for the price.  I still love their pizza when I go home...but having it delivered across country just wasn't the same. At the time, they were the only ones I know that offered this kind of service.  Now, I see Bocce does as well.

Anyone had them both delivered across country? Which was better?

Also, never had wings from Bocce.  Are they good?  I had La Nova's delivered, and they were great.  I know both places make great pizza, but asking more specifically about the nation-wide delivery.

Where in Texas are you? You might get some good advice from the locals.

2 hours ago, tempaccount said:

Is it vacuum sealed and then you cook it at home?

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I would be curious to know this too. I don’t understand how this would be good at all. 

Pretty much. It wasnt vacuum sealed but it is wrapped, and frozen. And then yes, you cook them at home.

They turned out GREAT when we did it a few years ago. The pep cupped and charred as we hoped. Tasted just like home.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Love how there are all these replies already and no one has answered the question for this poor guy, including me.

No, it's okay.  I know it is a pretty fringe topic... how many people have ordered pizza, nationwide from La Nova and Bocce...which one is better? I know both places have great pizza, when purchased locally.  Probably a pretty small demographic!  :)

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I was there last summer and looked them up. Seems they are still open but moved location a little north to more of a Bradenton address. I know we have posters around here in that general area, and I am jealous of both their weather and their pizza options! 

We are spending the last week of this month in Sarasota (Siesta Key) and I’ll probably try to get up there and check them out. 

Yep... only good pie anywhere within 100 miles that I know of. https://www.casadipizzafl.com/

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.