Common Ground

Tenhigh

On 1/11/2021 at 7:32 AM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Many, many Trump voters in 2016 were reluctant at best.   Most republican politicians were not Trump supporters when he was elected.  He was pretty much out there on an island, and the 95% figure came later on as he delivered on his promises. 

He's also failed to deliver on many of those promises.

Why wasn't Hilary locked up?

Why did he only build a fraction of a new border wall that he promised?  Why isn't Mexico paying for it?

What happened to banning foreign lobbyists raising money for US elections?

Where's that manufacturing he promised to bring back?  It was in a recession as we ended last year and came into this year.

Where was there ANY effort to improve our country's dilapidated infrastructure?

What happened to his promise to grow the economy by not just 3%, but 4% and higher annually?

All I heard during 2016 was "lock her up!  lock her up!"  What happened to that?

What happened to that whole "I'm gonna repeal and replace Obamacare" thing?

He said he was going to renegotiate the Iran Deal... what happened there?

That whole "drain the swamp" thing sure didn't happen... he and his administration have been spending our tax dollars like its monopoly money... often for personal gain.

I thought Trump was gonna get China out of the World Trade Organization... what happened there?

That whole "birthright citizenship" is still goin, despite Trump's promise to get rid of it.

One of my favorites is him promising to eliminate the Federal debt in 8 years.... bwahahahahaha!!!!

He promised to release his tax returns... where are those?

The outsider effect was an important consideration and certainly played a factor in him getting elected.  The reality is that many mainstream R voters had gotten tired of lip service from established politicians, and those who becamse known as "Never Trumpers".  Trump's personna played a part in that, especially on the heels of two horribly bad R candidates in the 135 year old John McCain, and Mitt Romney who looked like he could be president in a movie.    Trump's default response was "F Y", and it was music to our ears especially after Gentleman Mitt got his ass handed to him because he was born without a *****.   

I mean no disrespect to you personally, but this is one of the dumbest reasons for voting for him and continuing to support him.

The main reasons imo, apologies to Virg, but in no particular order:

1. Obiden represented apologies, globalism, big government as the savior, and a thumb in the eye of law enforcement.  Trump represented American exceptionalism, the notion that our country carried far too much of the internationalism burden for far too long, and the inherent desire to be proud of who we are. 

Except its backfired.  One of the central aspects of "American Pride" is being that shining "City on a Hill" that's the example for other countries.

We aren't that anymore, and I don't know if we get it back. 

Part of American Exceptionalism isn't just our creativity and production, it's historically been our willingness to help others across the world. 

2. A commitment to supporting job creation for all Americans.  We believed he was better positioned to create an atmosphere that was pro-growth.  Maybe that ties into the outsider thing, maybe that's because he was a  business owner dealing with often generous regulation that snuffs jobs as they sleep, or maybe it was just some hope to drag us out of the malaise of the Obama years.  One of the fundamental reasons 95% of the R population supported the guy is that we like to work, and we damn sure like to eat.

Well... the R population isn't workin or eatin enough now.  And even before the Pandemic, the Trump economy was essentially piggybacking off the growth of Obama's economy.

3. Tax policy.  Paying tax is a patriotic duty, excessive taxation is not.  Most R voters I know believe in keeping more of what they earn, and finding the delicate balance between funding programs and getting hammered into submission, and believe DJT did very well in this regard.   

Yeah he did a great job driving up our National debt well before the Pandemic by giving his rich buddies tax breaks.  And in the end, that's what he did.  The tax benefits to the middle class was trivial compared to the richest of the rich.

And I'm not speaking as a D here, I'm speaking as someone in the middle class.  They really screwed a lot of us over with some of the things they got rid of.  Homeowners got screwed in a lot of ways.  And though it wasn't widely talked about, people are going to discover next year that his tax law also made it so employees who work from home can't claim the expenses of working from home. 

That's really gonna suck for most of the middle class who worked from home in 2020.

4. Border security--most prominent candidates have waxed nationalistically about the souther border for decades, yet precious little has been done about it.  I believe there is no plan to accomplish anything at all, and absent Trump, the Schumers and McConnells of the world would have postured about disagreement and gone on with business as usual.  Trump appeared committed to try and deal with it.   Speaking only from my perspective, I've noted the extraordinary number or times 'the media' or other politicians have tried to hang the missteps of other admins on Trump, and how his attempts at establishing orderly control at the border were widely mocked.  That doesn't surprise most R voters who came to support him in this regard.  

Strongly disagree on all of this.  Unfortunately I think this is one of those partisan issues that can't even be reasoned.

5. Judges.  You're correct about McConnell's commitment to appointing judges, that was a very important part of the Trump admin and widely supported.  The good fortune, politically speaking, of having RBG die prior to the election cannot be understated.  She was, and is a towering figure in the American political landscape, an amazing women of substance but in the end, her legacy is impacted by hubris.  We'll see how that helps/hurts the R voter as time goes on.  As for the integrity of the Senate, please, spare me.  

Like I said, the judges thing was pure luck.  It was nothing that Trump actually did.  

For this you should actually be kissing the feet of Mitch McConnell, not Donald Trump.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He's also failed to deliver on many of those promises.

Why wasn't Hilary locked up?

Why did he only build a fraction of a new border wall that he promised?  Why isn't Mexico paying for it?

What happened to banning foreign lobbyists raising money for US elections?

Where's that manufacturing he promised to bring back?  It was in a recession as we ended last year and came into this year.

Where was there ANY effort to improve our country's dilapidated infrastructure?

What happened to his promise to grow the economy by not just 3%, but 4% and higher annually?

All I heard during 2016 was "lock her up!  lock her up!"  What happened to that?

What happened to that whole "I'm gonna repeal and replace Obamacare" thing?

He said he was going to renegotiate the Iran Deal... what happened there?

That whole "drain the swamp" thing sure didn't happen... he and his administration have been spending our tax dollars like its monopoly money... often for personal gain.

I thought Trump was gonna get China out of the World Trade Organization... what happened there?

That whole "birthright citizenship" is still goin, despite Trump's promise to get rid of it.

One of my favorites is him promising to eliminate the Federal debt in 8 years.... bwahahahahaha!!!!

He promised to release his tax returns... where are those?

I mean no disrespect to you personally, but this is one of the dumbest reasons for voting for him and continuing to support him.

Except its backfired.  One of the central aspects of "American Pride" is being that shining "City on a Hill" that's the example for other countries.

We aren't that anymore, and I don't know if we get it back. 

Part of American Exceptionalism isn't just our creativity and production, it's historically been our willingness to help others across the world. 

Well... the R population isn't workin or eatin enough now.  And even before the Pandemic, the Trump economy was essentially piggybacking off the growth of Obama's economy.

Yeah he did a great job driving up our National debt well before the Pandemic by giving his rich buddies tax breaks.  And in the end, that's what he did.  The tax benefits to the middle class was trivial compared to the richest of the rich.

And I'm not speaking as a D here, I'm speaking as someone in the middle class.  They really screwed a lot of us over with some of the things they got rid of.  Homeowners got screwed in a lot of ways.  And though it wasn't widely talked about, people are going to discover next year that his tax law also made it so employees who work from home can't claim the expenses of working from home. 

That's really gonna suck for most of the middle class who worked from home in 2020.

Strongly disagree on all of this.  Unfortunately I think this is one of those partisan issues that can't even be reasoned.

Like I said, the judges thing was pure luck.  It was nothing that Trump actually did.  

For this you should actually be kissing the feet of Mitch McConnell, not Donald Trump.

We’ve been over many of these subjects before, and if this was a “Look at me, I’m Transplant Bills Fan Dammit!” thread, you would be empowered to share your fascinating thoughts on Obama laying up for DJT, foot fetish management, the passing of the SC torch from RBG to ACB and the like.  This is not that, this is a Common Ground thread. 

Out of respect for the original intent @Tenhigh and the topic, I’ll push forward and express that while I found this note to be presumptuous and confrontational, I appreciate you generally. 

By the way—this is type of post I was referring to when we discussed you feigning innocence when complaining about treatment on the other board.  It reminds me a bit of the villain in professional wrestling, ripping an eye gouge when the ref is distracted and playing to the crowd as the victim of scurrilous allegations thereafter.  

Oh, and speaking of that sort of theater, God Bless Dominic Denucci who turns 89 on 1/23!   In a sign of times long gone, his nemesis Waldo Von Erich infamously had this exchange at some point in the early 1970s.  It likely happened after he took a shiv from his tights and opened a cut over our hero’s eye and win the match: 

WVE:  Vaht do you get when you cross an Eetalyan wit an ape?
Announcer:  I don’t know.

WVE:  You get a ruhtarted ape! 

Watching the grainy footage on a black and white television, in a small town near 🦬, with my brothers around it simply compelled us to scrap even more than usual.   My mother was constantly trying to forbid us from watching that stuff because mayhem usually ensued, but we snuck it in when we could.  

Have a great day. 

PS:   Shame on you @Bob in Mich!  Thumbs up on the incendiary post sent by Tranpsy?!!  I'm enraged---please send me your home address so I can add and then immediately remove you from my Skin-erd Holiday Newsletter!  You sir shall not hear that the youngest of my brood made Dean's List yet again.  You sir shall not hear that we do not have grandbabies yet but here's hoping the New Year blesses us as such!  You sir shall not know that my waistline has expanded while my hairline recedes!  You sir shall not see my family picture, each of us angling like Rob Redford in "A River Runs Through It" to show our best side (I have none, but like the Little Engine That Could, I keep pushing forward anyway!).  And you sir shall be the one that loses out---in spite of my limited aesthetic contribution and cantankerous personality, my wife and children are lovely!  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

By the way—this is type of post I was referring to when we discussed you feigning innocence when complaining about treatment on the other board.  It reminds me a bit of the villain in professional wrestling, ripping an eye gouge when the ref is distracted and playing to the crowd as the victim of scurrilous allegations thereafter.  

Well this is just silly... especially in response to that post.

If you believe what I just posted was antagonizing and the equivalent of fisticuffs on my part, then I guess I'd have to call you a snowflake.

And if you view what I just said as antagonizing... you're an even bigger snowflake.

"Over there" the issue was they could dish it out but couldn't take it. And I'm not talking about insults. I'm talking about disagreement or challenges to the veracity of an argument.

Whatever is going on over there is a sad state of affairs likely being monitored by the Government right now because of a few bad apples allowed to remain.

But hey, at least they kicked off any dissenting opinion.

As for us going through "many" of the subjects posted before... I really don't think we have... or your definition of "many" is not mine.

Buddy, you have a pattern of consistently deflecting. When someone points to 10 major flaws of Trump, you resort to "yeah but Biden lied about being valedictorian."

Why do you consistently do that?

Give @Foxx and @Buffalo_Gal my best on the other board.

17 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

We’ve been over many of these subjects before, and if this was a “Look at me, I’m Transplant Bills Fan Dammit!” thread, you would be empowered to share your fascinating thoughts on Obama laying up for DJT, foot fetish management, the passing of the SC torch from RBG to ACB and the like.  This is not that, this is a Common Ground thread. 

Out of respect for the original intent @Tenhigh and the topic, I’ll push forward and express that while I found this note to be presumptuous and confrontational, I appreciate you generally. 

Oh, and speaking of that sort of theater, God Bless Dominic Denucci who turns 89 on 1/23!   In a sign of times long gone, his nemesis Waldo Von Erich infamously had this exchange at some point in the early 1970s.  It likely happened after he took a shiv from his tights and opened a cut over our hero’s eye and win the match: 

WVE:  Vaht do you get when you cross an Eetalyan wit an ape?
Announcer:  I don’t know.

WVE:  You get a ruhtarted ape! 

Watching the grainy footage on a black and white television, in a small town near 🦬, with my brothers around it simply compelled us to scrap even more than usual.   My mother was constantly trying to forbid us from watching that stuff because mayhem usually ensued, but we snuck it in when we could.  

Have a great day. 

PS:   Shame on you @Bob in Mich!  Thumbs up on the incendiary post sent by Tranpsy?!!  I'm enraged---please send me your home address so I can add and then immediately remove you from my Skin-erd Holiday Newsletter!  You sir shall not hear that the youngest of my brood made Dean's List yet again.  You sir shall not hear that we do not have grandbabies yet but here's hoping the New Year blesses us as such!  You sir shall not know that my waistline has expanded while my hairline recedes!  You sir shall not see my family picture, each of us angling like Rob Redford in "A River Runs Through It" to show our best side (I have none, but like the Little Engine That Could, I keep pushing forward anyway!).  And you sir shall be the one that loses out---in spite of my limited aesthetic contribution and cantankerous personality, my wife and children are lovely!  

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/15/2021 at 11:19 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Well this is just silly... especially in response to that post.

If you believe what I just posted was antagonizing and the equivalent of fisticuffs on my part, then I guess I'd have to call you a snowflake.

And if you view what I just said as antagonizing... you're an even bigger snowflake.

"Over there" the issue was they could dish it out but couldn't take it. And I'm not talking about insults. I'm talking about disagreement or challenges to the veracity of an argument.

Whatever is going on over there is a sad state of affairs likely being monitored by the Government right now because of a few bad apples allowed to remain.

But hey, at least they kicked off any dissenting opinion.

As for us going through "many" of the subjects posted before... I really don't think we have... or your definition of "many" is not mine.

Buddy, you have a pattern of consistently deflecting. When someone points to 10 major flaws of Trump, you resort to "yeah but Biden lied about being valedictorian."

Why do you consistently do that?

Give @Foxx and @Buffalo_Gal my best on the other board.

Respectfuly, the goal of this thread is not to argue about our perceived differences on the Trump administration or take pot shots at posters no longer on this message boards.  Can we all try to focus on what we can agree on?  There are a lot of other threads out there to argue about what we don't.  

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Respectfuly, the goal of this thread is not to argue about our perceived differences on the Trump administration or take pot shots at posters no longer on this message boards.  Can we all try to focus on what we can agree on?  There are a lot of other threads out there to argue about what we don't.  

Transplant though is actually pointing out something I realized in this past 5 months, we don't have common ground on much. We literally have a large portion of our nation who wants the USA to not have the best people, that race is more important than country, and it is governments job to protect them from their own mistakes. It is hard to find common ground when my success is an insult to others.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Transplant though is actually pointing out something I realized in this past 5 months, we don't have common ground on much. We literally have a large portion of our nation who wants the USA to not have the best people, that race is more important than country, and it is governments job to protect them from their own mistakes. It is hard to find common ground when my success is an insult to others.

I respectfully disagree about the lack of common ground.  Go back and look at my post on page 4, we have quite a bit.  And I think that we here can all agree that every American is entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Try coming out and meeting people that you disagree with half-way on a personal level, and you may find that they aren't as evil as you think.    

Just now, Tenhigh said:

I respectfully disagree about the lack of common ground.  Go back and look at my post on page 4, we have quite a bit.  And I think that we here can all agree that every American is entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Try coming out and meeting people that you disagree with half-way on a personal level, and you may find that they aren't as evil as you think.    

Except for TB Bills, that guy is beyond hope.  :😝

On 1/13/2021 at 2:01 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Not everyone wants to find common ground, Ten.  We can all agree on that as well. 

Just cause you ain't looking for it doesn't mean that it's not there.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...