Bills Stadium naming rights, a deal is close **IT'S OFFICIAL: Highmark Blue cross Blushield Stadium

Process

32 minutes ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

Upstate NY technically refers to the region surrounding NYC where many people fleeing the hustle and bustle relocated to while still maintaining their jobs in the city. Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, possibly as far up as Orange are considered "Upstate". Beyond that you have other regions - Captial Region, Catskills, Adirondacks, Southern Tier, Western NY etc etc. 

This is simply not true.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Westchester is absolutely not upstate NY.  It is downstate.  Very downstate.

You guys are hilarious. Nothing is upstate relative to Buffalo. Everything is downstate. But when people outside of Buffalo talk about "upstate NY" they are talking about anything upstate of NY city. Anything north of NYC is upstate. 

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is simply not true.

Not form a Buffalo perspective. But that is exactly what Upstate NY is from the perspective of NY city and non- NYers.

Edited by Motorin'

1 hour ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

Upstate NY technically refers to the region surrounding NYC where many people fleeing the hustle and bustle relocated to while still maintaining their jobs in the city. Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, possibly as far up as Orange are considered "Upstate". Beyond that you have other regions - Captial Region, Catskills, Adirondacks, Southern Tier, Western NY etc etc. 

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is simply not true.

Yeah, it's true.

Nobody in Glens Falls or Plattsburgh says they are from upstate NY... it's the Adirondacks.

Nobody on Long Island says they are from upstate NY... it's the Island or Lon Guy-land.

Nobody in say Prattsville says they are from upstate NY... it's the Catskills.

I have no idea why you'd automatically reject that post!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

You nailed that assessment... I'm a lot more familiar with the eastern part of the state and that's how people see it. Upstate NY is that area just outside of NYC people commute from... I mean you COULD lump the Catskills in with it from an earlier time when the Borsch Belt was swinging, but now it's what you describe it as.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

As a native WNYer, I have always hated the term "upstate NY" as it is a term coined by New York City people, and no one else in the state.

And their idea of what that means is ANY part of NY state that is not in the immediate NYC metropolitan area.

I have never known anyone from WNY who says he/she is from "upstate NY".

New York City people consider places like Chester, Woodbury, West Point, and other spots way down in the SE corner of NYS to be "upstate".

Screw "Upstate NY" and screw "Bills Mafia"--another term coined by people having nothing to do with WNY!

I live in the Hudson valley and the way we see it, anything above west Chester is “upstate NY”

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You nailed that assessment... I'm a lot more familiar with the eastern part of the state and that's how people see it. Upstate NY is that area just outside of NYC people commute from... I mean you COULD lump the Catskills in with it from an earlier time when the Borsch Belt was swinging, but now it's what you describe it as.

In fairness to @Gugny and @BADOLBILZ the SUNY system and other state run systems have a formal definition of upstate / downstate that places Westchester, Rockland, NYC and Long Island as down state. 

The terms are imprecise and subject to interpretation... The reason I brought it up was that Pepsi is based out of NY and the only team that plays in NY state is Buffalo. I know we can all agree on that! 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I live in the Hudson valley and the way we see it, anything above west Chester is “upstate NY”

Really?  I think the cutoff is closer to Kingston.  I consider Poughkeepsie "downstate."

I would consider anything south of White Plains (which is in southern Westchester County) as NYC.

My breakdown of NY State is:

Upstate

Central

Western

Downstate

NYC

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Really?  I think the cutoff is closer to Kingston.  I consider Poughkeepsie "downstate."

I would consider anything south of White Plains (which is in southern Westchester County) as NYC.

My breakdown of NY State is:

Upstate

Central

Western

Downstate

NYC

I’m in Orange County and grew up in Ulster. In my mind I have always just fig 10 min past the city basically upstate I personally stretch it to west Chester. Kingston no question. I’m just a “city or Upstate” guy. I guess there’s no real answer 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m in Orange County and grew up in Ulster. In my mind I have always just fig 10 min past the city basically upstate I personally stretch it to west Chester. Kingston no question. I’m just a “city or Upstate” guy. I guess there’s no real answer 

It has been an ongoing battle here for years, LOL!

• Haha (+1) 1