Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?

Alphadawg7

Will Watson get traded?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Odds Watson is traded this season

• 100%
    • 50%
    • 20%
    • 0%
  2. 2. If he does get traded where will he go?

• Jets
    • Jags
    • Miami
    • Other

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

For what it is worth John McClain who is the most respect local beat reporter in Houston and their HoF voter says there is more chance that he is the next coach than of Watson being traded this offseason. 

At this stage at least ownership down the Texans are steadfast that if Watson is playing football in 2021 it will be for them. 

I hope Bienemy lands there. Good chance of being successful and Watson can maximize his career. As a bonus, the Titans have to deal with a tough Colts team AND a rejuvenated Watson-led Texans team. Anything that results in the Titans struggling is good by me!

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

They almost have to hire Bienemy at this point, if they want to appease Watson. 

He complains that they didn't even interview the guy he really wants as HC, so they interview the guy and then don't hire him. That's almost worse. Bienemy has literally everything you would want in a head coach to pair with a dynamic young QB except head coaching experience. 

I wonder if there is some truth to the story that came out about Bienemy not interviewing that well. Some people who are really good at what they do just don't excel in the interview format, while other coaches ace the interview but are terrible at the job. How many awful coaches from the early 2000'sdid we hear "blew the team away" in the interview process?

Yeah, they have to at least offer him the HC'ing job.  Whether he takes it is up to him but at least they've taken a step towards appeasing Watson.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

For what it is worth John McClain who is the most respect local beat reporter in Houston and their HoF voter says there is more chance that he is the next coach than of Watson being traded this offseason. 

At this stage at least ownership down the Texans are steadfast that if Watson is playing football in 2021 it will be for them. 

Good.  And yippee kay-ay mother...

Edit: "Diehard," GB

Edited by Doc
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Officially concerned 

I wouldn’t be too concerned. 
Not many teams have the ammo to get this guy. Miami I guess could be the favorite but are they more talented than Houston on offense? Especially after the draft capital they’d have to give. 

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Buyer beware.

A supposed leader that takes his gripes to social media?

You can have him.

I couldn't care less if he ends up in the AFC East.

Very nice QB, but he's never scared me either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I wouldn’t be too concerned. 
Not many teams have the ammo to get this guy. Miami I guess could be the favorite but are they more talented than Houston on offense? Especially after the draft capital they’d have to give. 

Now if O'Brien was still there, many teams would have the ammo.

• Like (+1) 1

DeShaun Watson is full of crap.  He has no leverage and is going nowhere. His first real payday is the 2022 season.  It is a $35 million salary as opposed the his much lower salaries he has earned every year in his career.  The Texans have all the leverage.  They could easily go out an get a free agent QB like a Fitzpatrick and let Watson sit at home on his couch with no pay.  Watson is locked up through 2025.   He seems to be under some delusion he deserves a 10 year $500 million contract like Mahomes and someone like Miami will give it to him.  It is not happening.  This guy has been on a team that won 3 division titles in 5 years.  They put players around him.  He just wasn't good enough to get by the Chiefs and Mahomes.  When guys like Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson get paid this off season they aren't getting Mahomes type contracts either unless they win a Super Bowl.

Edited by BITE ME
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Rico said:

Very nice QB, but he's never scared me either.

He is responsible for the most heart-ripping play the Bills have suffered this century: escaping from a sure sack and improvising a 40 yard play in OT that led to a Texans playoff victory.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:56 PM, Doc said:

That Watson and Tuna have the same agent means nothing to Caserio, who is holding the cards.  Watson is under contract and will have to show at some point or face massive fines.  Meanwhile Caserio will do everything he can to pacify Watson but the chances he trades him in the AFC, much less the AFC East, are nil.

The qb has a lot more power in this situation than you think. The only position at which NFL players have anything resembling the juice of NBA players is the QB position, especially top ten franchise QBs. He can sit out a year, watch the Texans go 2-14, and then get a new deal for $40 million per. He’s young and that good.

6 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

DeShaun Watson is full of crap.  He has no leverage and is going nowhere. His first real payday is the 2022 season.  It is a $35 million salary as opposed the his much lower salaries he has earned every year in his career.  The Texans have all the leverage.  They could easily go out an get a free agent QB like a Fitzpatrick and let Watson sit at home on his couch with no pay.  Watson is locked up through 2025.   He seems to be under some delusion he deserves a 10 year $500 million contract like Mahomes and someone like Miami will give it to him.  It is not happening.  This guy has been on a team that won 3 division titles in 5 years.  They put players around him.  He just wasn't good enough to get by the Chiefs and Mahomes.  When guys like Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson get paid this off season they aren't getting Mahomes type contracts either unless they win a Super Bowl.

Watson isn't under that delusion at all. His annoyance is about the state of the team not his contract. He isn't angling for a pay day. He just wants a center who can snap and a wide receiver who can catch. 

11 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

You think his frustration is about money? Yikes, someone isn’t paying attention.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Watson isn't under that delusion at all. His annoyance is about the state of the team not his contract. He isn't angling for a pay day. He just wants a center who can snap and a wide receiver who can catch. 

He's delusion if he thinks he has any leverage.  He's under contract and his only leverage is to sit-out.  But in doing so will incur massive fines.

And if he truly wants all those things, he should have thought about it more before a) agreeing to a new contract after they traded-away Hopkins and all those draft picks and b) demanding being paid 1/5 of the team's cap, which will make getting all those things harder.

Edited by Doc

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

He probably isn't, but if not, he's not dealing in reality.  His only leverage is to sit-out and incur massive fines.

And if he truly wants all those things, he should have thought about it more before a) agreeing to a new contract after trading-away Hopkins and all those draft picks and b) demanding being paid 1/5 of the team's cap.

It isn't Watson's cap hit preventing Houston from being competitive. As for signing the contract, yep, that is fair. He could have waited it out but his side made sure it was structured in a certain way too to allow him some flexibility. 

I agree the leverage is with Houston at this point. Have said that throughout. Also not sure I really think any player should have a view on a GM hire... but they did apparently promise that. Head Coach is different and if I have a franchise QB I am always trying to find a Head Coach that meshes with that. 

Basically Watson is shining a light to the outside world in saying "Easterby is a problem here and he needs to go." I'd have been perfectly happy for JP or Trent to shine a similar light on some of the disruptive influences who held sway at One Bills Drive in Ralph's later years. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It isn't Watson's cap hit preventing Houston from being competitive. As for signing the contract, yep, that is fair. He could have waited it out but his side made sure it was structured in a certain way too to allow him some flexibility. 

I agree the leverage is with Houston at this point. Have said that throughout. Also not sure I really think any player should have a view on a GM hire... but they did apparently promise that. Head Coach is different and if I have a franchise QB I am always trying to find a Head Coach that meshes with that. 

Basically Watson is shining a light to the outside world in saying "Easterby is a problem here and he needs to go." I'd have been perfectly happy for JP or Trent to shine a similar light on some of the disruptive influences who held sway at One Bills Drive in Ralph's later years. 

Blockbuster new SI piece: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job.

if I’m Watson, I am doing whatever possible to get out of that looney bin punctuated by uncomfortable forced prayer group sessions. The owner is a moron under the sway of a fundamentalist Svengali. It’s a joke. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's delusion if he thinks he has any leverage.  He's under contract and his only leverage is to sit-out.  But in doing so will incur massive fines.

And if he truly wants all those things, he should have thought about it more before a) agreeing to a new contract after they traded-away Hopkins and all those draft picks and b) demanding being paid 1/5 of the team's cap, which will make getting all those things harder.

James Harden had no leverage too. He was under contract.

Do we watch the same sports leagues?

Disgruntled superstars always win.

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Blockbuster new SI piece: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job.

if I’m Watson, I am doing whatever possible to get out of that looney bin punctuated by uncomfortable forced prayer group sessions. The owner is a moron under the sway of a fundamentalist Svengali. It’s a joke. 

Yep. I'd rather sit out then play for them. If that piece is true. If Easterby asked me to take his hand and pray I'd take my feet and run.

It also does suggest in that piece the locker room is behind Deshaun. Texans ownership is in trouble. Because none of their players seem to want to play for them. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If I'm Urban Meyer, I get on the phone and see if they take the #1 pick for Watson. As much potential as Lawrence has, I will always take someone who has proved it over someone who might be that good - e.g., Stephon Diggs over a potential 1st round pick at the #17 pick this year. That is not an apples-to-apples comparison, it would depend on how big of a hurry Meyer's is in Jacksonville. Remember, NFL stands for: Not For Long.

Edited by CSBill
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

James Harden had no leverage too. He was under contract.

Do we watch the same sports leagues?

Disgruntled superstars always win.

The NBA is VERY different - players run the league. However, as I said above, franchise QBs are the one position where the player can force the issue like NBA players. Just look at Philly w/regard to Wentz and Pederson.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The NBA is VERY different - players run the league. However, as I said above, franchise QBs are the one position where the player can force the issue like NBA players. Just look at Philly w/regard to Wentz and Pederson.

It’s not that much different. 

Not every NBA player runs the league. Just the top 10ish most valuable. Just like in the NFL. The difference is that the most valuable players in basketball don’t all play the same position. The most valuable players in football do.