Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?

Alphadawg7

Will Watson get traded?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Odds Watson is traded this season

• 100%
    • 50%
    • 20%
    • 0%
  2. 2. If he does get traded where will he go?

• Jets
    • Jags
    • Miami
    • Other

I would never trade him. 
This ain’t the NBA, you wanted and signed a contract extension with a dysfunctional franchise you don’t just get to demand a trade especially with a no trade clause and get what you want. Sit out if you don’t like it buddy. 
They had a bad year, but they’re not that far off from competing. They need some help on defense. He should be in a Houston uniform week one next year or sitting at home racking up the fines. 

• Agree 4

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2020 Cowboys Record in games they started and finished:

With Dak Prescott 1-3 

With Andy Dalton 4-4

So there’s that too sport 😎

And go watch the tape. The two are not even comparable.

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Only way I could see Houston doing this is if they get their 3rd overall pick back AND Tua, just as an add-in. 

They'd need way more than that. 

15 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I would never trade him. 
This ain’t the NBA, you wanted and signed a contract extension with a dysfunctional franchise you don’t just get to demand a trade especially with a no trade clause and get what you want. Sit out if you don’t like it buddy. 
They had a bad year, but they’re not that far off from competing. They need some help on defense. He should be in a Houston uniform week one next year or sitting at home racking up the fines. 

We wouldn’t have Diggs if players simply sucked it up or sat out.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:02 PM, appoo said:

Watson, Mahomes and Rodgers are the only QBs I'd even CONSIDER swapping Allen for, for the next 2-3 years (ignoring contract). That dude deserves a better football team around him

Rodgers is way too old to ever swap Allen for.   

23 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Its a shame that players can make these types of demands and be taken seriously.

NO. We're not trading you, go back to work.

The team would have to consider any compensation offered i would expect but I don't think they should feel obligated to trade the player. 

From what I read, the dead cap hit would be significant, but manageable for Houston.

21 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is insane talk Watson is not going anywhere or you don’t let go of a good QB in their prime if you’re an NFL team

It’s never really happened before, but Houston is in a uniquely difficult predicament.  Maybe it’s not likely, but it’s possible, and actually makes some sense. It should not be dismissed out of hand.

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And go watch the tape. The two are not even comparable.

They'd need way more than that. 

Never said they were.  He said Cowboys couldn’t win games with Dalton in that other thread.  Yet they did, and at a better rate than with Dak with the same roster.  And my original point in that thread he was trying to bring up was when I said I don’t think the Cowboys record is that much different with Dalton.  Turns out it was actually quite a bit better with Dalton ;) 

Edited by Alphadawg7

On 1/7/2021 at 1:12 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Swapping Allen?  Yeah no, there isn’t anyone I would trade Allen for right now. 

But yes, Watson is wasting away in Houston and they are facing a full rebuild with no first round picks either and far from contending.  So I do think there is a reasonable possibility he requests a trade, and THIS would be the right year to do it if you’re Houston and willing to do it because the type of compensation they could get would be excellent right now.  Could get a young guy like a Darnold or Tua to try and develop whole also getting multiple first round picks where in either scenario you would get 2nd or 4th pick as well.  Giving them ammo to also draft a QB one if they want one of the available ones there as well.  Maybe even land Lawerence if they can get Jags to bite.

Be interesting to see if anything comes of this over the off-season.  Again, I don’t see Houston doing anything unless Watson demands a trade.  

Um I fully realize that.  Has nothing to do with giving up on Watson.  Read my post, said it would require WATSON demanding a trade.  Literally said Houston wouldn’t likely consider this unless Watson demands to be traded.

Houston threw away a ton of draft picks in bad trades.  They don’t have a first this year either as Miami owns it.  They are far from contending and have a limited cupboard to rebuild.  

It’s not unreasonable to see Watson and his team try and get out of town to not waste his career there.  

Watson is very unhappy with the way the Texans went about hiring their new GM, Nick Caserio.   From what I read, the Texans promised to include him in some of the process of selecting the HC and GM but he found out about the hiring only when the news was released to the public.   He tweeted that the same crap that landed the Texans where are now is simply going to continue.  

I would not be surprised if he demands a trade.  He's a team player but I don't think he believes ownership is interested in building a winning team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Never said they were.  He said Cowboys couldn’t win games with Dalton.  Yet they did, and at a better rate than with Dak with the same roster.  And my original point he was trying to bring up was when I said I don’t think the Cowboys record is that much different with Dalton.  Turns out it was actually quite a bit better with Dalton ;) 

You could also look at it as Dallas only played 5 teams with winning records all year.... three in the first 4 games with Dak (which they lost), 1 with Gilbert (lost) and 1 with Dalton (lost). I'm pretty sure Dak stays healthy Cowboys win the East. Likely only with 1 or 2 more wins but they win the east. He is a much better QB than Dalton. 

27 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We wouldn’t have Diggs if players simply sucked it up or sat out.

No we wouldn’t. But the situations are a little different. Receivers are easy to come by. Vikings just proved that with Jefferson. Some teams miss on receivers but it’s nothing compared to quarterback purgatory. Add in the fact Watson has this no trade clause so he can veto any good deal they may get. This also lowers his trade value 

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I would never trade him. 

I agree for the most part - Watson signed his extension after all the questionable moves BoB made in the offseason (Hopkins trade being the most egregious.) If all those things didn’t give Watson pause in September I don’t have much sympathy now. 

I just can’t get over how Cal McNair is supposedly being manipulated into these hiring snafus and front office shuffling. So while I doubt Watson will be successful, I still understand completely why he’s allegedly fed up now.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You could also look at it as Dallas only played 5 teams with winning records all year.... three in the first 4 games with Dak (which they lost), 1 with Gilbert (lost) and 1 with Dalton (lost). I'm pretty sure Dak stays healthy Cowboys win the East. Likely only with 1 or 2 more wins but they win the east. He is a much better QB than Dalton. 

Again Gunner, I am not saying he is better than Dak and NEVER said that.  In the thread his comment referenced I said many times Dak is clearly better than Dalton, no one would dispute that.  What he brought up that I did say is that I had a hard time committing that much money to Dak as the highest paid player not named Mahomes based on the teams struggles and that I didn't think the teams record would be drastically different as some suggested with Dalton over Dak. 

Case in point:  Dak 1-3 and should have been 0-4 if not for the epic collapse only the Falcons can manage deciding to not even fall on an onside kick.  4-4 with Dalton. 

Is Dak better right now as individual direct comparison, of course.  But individuals DONT win games, teams do.  And the thread was about what would be better for Cowboys in terms of paying Dak or going another direction.  Dak just doesn't get it done when it matters too often, hence my reluctance to pay him what he wants.  It was never Dalton is better individual player, it was about whether or not Cowboys should cave and make Dak the second highest player behind Mahomes or roll with Dalton and look to draft a QB of the future instead of being saddled with that monster contract.

End of the day, if you are going to pay a QB Elite cap killing money, they better be good enough to carry your team to wins because moving forward, you have to hit often on your draft picks to afford to put a quality roster around said QB and its not as easy to build a winning team with the cap restrictions.  This fact is magnified by the large contracts they paid to an over rated WR and also the jumbo contract to a RB.  

And the only data we have to show this, shows I was correct in saying this given Dalton had a better record in starting and finishing games than did Dak with the same team.  Does NOT make him better than Dak as an individual player, but it sure as hell makes it come into question if they should hand out a 3rd cap killing contract on this offense with all the issues it has on the rest of the roster.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again Gunner, I am not saying he is better than Dak and NEVER said that.  In the thread his comment referenced I said many times Dak is clearly better than Dalton, no one would dispute that.  What he brought up that I did say is that I had a hard time committing that much money to Dak as the highest paid player not named Mahomes based on the teams struggles and that I didn't think the teams record would be drastically different as some suggested with Dalton over Dak. 

Case in point:  Dak 1-3 and should have been 0-4 if not for the epic collapse only the Falcons can manage deciding to not even fall on an onside kick.  4-4 with Dalton. 

Is Dak better right now as individual direct comparison, of course.  But individuals DONT win games, teams do.  And the thread was about what would be better for Cowboys in terms of paying Dak or going another direction.  Dak just doesn't get it done when it matters too often, hence my reluctance to pay him what he wants.  It was never Dalton is better individual player, it was about whether or not Cowboys should cave and make Dak the second highest player behind Mahomes or roll with Dalton and look to draft a QB of the future instead of being saddled with that monster contract.

End of the day, if you are going to pay a QB Elite cap killing money, they better be good enough to carry your team to wins because moving forward, you have to hit often on your draft picks to afford to put a quality roster around said QB and its not as easy to build a winning team with the cap restrictions.  This fact is magnified by the large contracts they paid to an over rated WR and also the jumbo contract to a RB.  

And the only data we have to show this, shows I was correct in saying this given Dalton had a better record in starting and finishing games than did Dak with the same team.  Does NOT make him better than Dak as an individual player, but it sure as hell makes it come into question if they should hand out a 3rd cap killing contract on this offense with all the issues it has on the rest of the roster.  

I don't think that is a fair assessment of the data. The data tells us Dalton got the soft bit of the schedule and struggled to hit .500. Dak did have his first losing record of his career but he played by far the toughest four game stretch of their season. They should pay Dak. I think the Cowboys top brass having seen their team without him will come to the same conclusion too. I think he will get re-signed this offseason. He is a top 10 QB. Yes you have to pay top 10 QBs top 5 money and that sucks, but the alternative is you have an Andy Dalton QB who you have no chance to win with. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is a fair assessment of the data. The data tells us Dalton got the soft bit of the schedule and struggled to hit .500. Dak did have his first losing record of his career but he played by far the toughest four game stretch of their season. They should pay Dak. I think the Cowboys top brass having seen their team without him will come to the same conclusion too. I think he will get re-signed this offseason. He is a top 10 QB. Yes you have to pay top 10 QBs top 5 money and that sucks, but the alternative is you have an Andy Dalton QB who you have no chance to win with. 

Dalton isnt the future or the alternative, never was and wasn't the point.  He is just a backup or potential bridge QB to someone they could draft first round this year and there are some intriguing guys that should be there at 10, or even maybe move up if there is one they covet.  

I would have less issue with paying Dak if not for the bad contracts elsewhere on the team.  If they pay Dak, they need to find a way to shed Cooper and Zeke IMO.  They have talent behind them at a fraction of the cost.  If not, they will be a perennial 6 to 8 win team IMO for a while.

I just wont pay a guy top 3 money who isnt good enough to mask the deficiencies of the team and win in the worst division in football.  I think its pretty obvious Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, Brady, Watson, Allen, etc would run away with that division with that roster last 2 years.  Dak has a losing record which doesn't make me confident in making him the 2nd highest paid player in NFL history.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Dalton isnt the future or the alternative, never was and wasn't the point.  He is just a backup or potential bridge QB to someone they could draft first round this year and there are some intriguing guys that should be there at 10, or even maybe move up if there is one they covet.  

I would have less issue with paying Dak if not for the bad contracts elsewhere on the team.  If they pay Dak, they need to find a way to shed Cooper and Zeke IMO.  They have talent behind them at a fraction of the cost.  If not, they will be a perennial 6 to 8 win team IMO for a while.

I just wont pay a guy top 3 money who isnt good enough to mask the deficiencies of the team and win in the worst division in football.  I think its pretty obvious Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, Brady, Watson, Allen, etc would run away with that division with that roster last 2 years.  Dak has a losing record which doesn't make me confident in making him the 2nd highest paid player in NFL history.  

He doesn't have a losing record overall though. I just disagree with you on Dak. He is better than you think and nothing that happened this season disproved it. The reason the records are they are is just scheduling luck. I agree on the Cooper deal. Always have disliked that contract. But they will pay Dak so long as the recovery is on track and they should too.

Eric Wood just mentioned on WGR-550 that this rumor is interesting to him, b/c both Watson and Tua have the same agent! 

Thinks there is more to this than your typical rumor.

I.E., Watson could well be going to Miami.

Really bad news for us if it happens.