Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?

Alphadawg7

Will Watson get traded?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Odds Watson is traded this season

• 100%
    • 50%
    • 20%
    • 0%
  2. 2. If he does get traded where will he go?

• Jets
    • Jags
    • Miami
    • Other

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I still dont see the Dolphins as a fair comparison.  They seem to have hit on both the GM and HC, how many teams do that?  

And I am not saying Houston will, clearly they need to. They have to get these two decisions right and they have to convince Deshaun they have got them right. The alternative is a very long road in my opinion.

I see that you listed the Jags as one of the choices. Initially, I couldn't understand why you listed them. IMO, and I could easily be wrong, Houston would have to trade Watson, and even cough up several very high draft picks (including their first round pick) to get the rights to Trevor Lawrence.

I have always been a fan of Watson and wanted the Bills to draft him. That said, count me as one who thinks that Lawrence is an even better prospect, if not MUCH better. If I was the GM of Houston and could give up Watson, a 1st and a 2nd for the rights to draft Lawrence, I would do it in a second. That is how great I think that he will be. 

The only quarterbacks that I would NOT trade for the rights to Lawrence are Mahomes, and of course Josh Allen. No way! We are just that lucky to have Josh on our team.

Again, JMO.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:02 PM, appoo said:

Watson, Mahomes and Rodgers are the only QBs I'd even CONSIDER swapping Allen for, for the next 2-3 years (ignoring contract). That dude deserves a better football team around him

I wouldn't even consider Rodgers.  You don't trade a 24 year old MVP level QB with years left on a rookie contract for a 37 year old MVP level QB unless it is a purely hypothetical one-and-done scenario.

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I see that you listed the Jags as one of the choices. Initially, I couldn't understand why you listed them. IMO, and I could easily be wrong, Houston would have to trade Watson, and even cough up several very high draft picks (including their first round pick) to get the rights to Trevor Lawrence.

I have always been a fan of Watson and wanted the Bills to draft him. That said, count me as one who thinks that Lawrence is an even better prospect, if not MUCH better. If I was the GM of Houston and could give up Watson, a 1st and a 2nd for the rights to draft Lawrence, I would do it in a second. That is how great I think that he will be. 

The only quarterbacks that I would NOT trade for the rights to Lawrence are Mahomes, and of course Josh Allen. No way! We are just that lucky to have Josh on our team.

Again, JMO.

What high draft picks?  Miami says hello.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Beacuse Lawrence (imo) is the best QB prospect coming out of college since John Elway. I never insisted that I am correct with this assertion. It is merely the opinion of one football fan.

Houston traded their 1st and 2nd draft picks this year (along with their 1st last year) to Miami for Laremy Tunsil. 

Hence, Miami says hello.

• Like (+1) 1

Beacuse Lawrence (imo) is the best QB prospect coming out of college since John Elway. I never insisted that I am correct with this assertion. It is merely the opinion of one football fan.

Lol at skipping Andrew Luck.  Not many people have your insight and still regard him as having proven his hype.  

9 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Houston traded their 1st and 2nd draft picks this year (along with their 1st last year) to Miami for Laremy Tunsil. 

Hence, Miami says hello.

Good point. In that case Houston lacks the resources to get Lawrence. 

Tell me, if the Bills didn't have a great QB, how much would you give up for Lawrence?

Edited by Bill from NYC

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol at skipping Andrew Luck.  Not many people have your insight and still regard him as having proven his hype.  

Lets talk about what Lawrence does NOT do well, or talent in any phase of the QB position that he lacks. He has size, speed, accuracy, touch, and a cannon. He seems to be smart in interviews.

I know that great college talent doesn't always succeed in the NFL. Everybody knows this. He could turn into a Ruben Foster, go nuts, and throw it all away. And btw I know nothing of his character. What I do know is that he has everything it takes to become a great QB, and see no reason to pretend otherwise.

Again, jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Again, JMO.

Yea I included Jacksonville as the 7th and final of my "teams that wouldn't be interested in Watson" and they are the one of those 7 who I think would at least have the conversation before deciding against it. I agree Lawrence as a prospect is higher rated than Watson was so I think you take the plunge and the 5 years of cost control but you probably do have the conversation internally about prospect v proven commodity before you finalise that decision.

• Like (+1) 1

Good point. In that case Houston lacks the resources to get Lawrence. 

Tell me, if the Bills didn't have a great QB, how much would you give up for Lawrence?

I wouldn't bother trying to get to #1

I would get up high enough to get Zach Wilson and put him behind a veteran mentor for a year

I voted 50% only because he is all pissed off about being left out of the GM decision.

Public melt downs usually don't help your standing with the team and with a new regime they either have to try and repair the fracture(which might be hard) or move on which would be a lot easier.

Edited by JMF2006
spacing

Lets talk about what Lawrence does NOT do well, or talent in any phase of the QB position that he lacks. He has size, speed, accuracy, touch, and a cannon. He seems to be smart in interviews.

I know that great college talent doesn't always succeed in the NFL. Everybody knows this. He could turn into a Ruben Foster, go nuts, and throw it all away. And btw I know nothing of his character. What I do know is that he has everything it takes to become a great QB, and see no reason to pretend otherwise.

Again, jmo.

I agree and think he will probably succeed.  To what extent depends on a lot of things both within and outside his control.  Is it possible he could become Ryan Leaf?  I suppose, but he is more likely to be P. Manning IMO.

I was just saying that it was nice to see Luck not being the comparison for a can’t miss, since well"...........he missed.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Dolphins were smart they would try and trade the picks they got from Houston back to them for Watson. It would be an outright coup by them and literally not really cost them anything since they would still have their own picks.

Houston would get a high enough pick to take a QB and get him on a rookie deal for 4 years and be able to get another good player early in round 2 to help him develop.

Makes too much sense for both teams in this scenario. Maybe the Dolphins would have to throw in something extra but Watson would be well worth it. There is almost no chance Tua turns into that level of a player. Watson is elite and the same age as Mahomes.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/9/2021 at 8:01 AM, Big Turk said:

If the Dolphins were smart they would try and trade the picks they got from Houston back to them for Watson. It would be an outright coup by them and literally not really cost them anything since they would still have their own picks.

Houston would get a high enough pick to take a QB and get him on a rookie deal for 4 years and be able to get another good player early in round 2 to help him develop.

Makes too much sense for both teams in this scenario. Maybe the Dolphins would have to throw in something extra but Watson would be well worth it. There is almost no chance Tua turns into that level of a player. Watson is elite and the same age as Mahomes.

Interesting post wrt Miami.

I was thinking about that, but a) the top-2 QB prospects will likely be gone by #3 (either the Jets take a QB at 2 or trade down with someone who will), b) they won't want to trade him within the conference (which is why the Bills didn't get Hopkins), and c) the Dols won't want to admit they screwed-up with Tua this quickly.

Unless offered a kings ransom I doubt the Texans would trade him. Too much cap hit. If they were to trade him it'd be likely be to a team in the NFC imo. The 49ers, Eagles, Panthers or Saints (If Brees retires). All come to mind as potential destinations if Watson were to hold out / demand a trade. Just dubt they'd trade him in division and have him potentially playing them and making the look foolish year after year.

That would be a huge coup for Miami, and it's a plausible scenario. Tua doesn't appear to have it. Watson absolutely does.

What, in your head?

EDIT: Never mind, now that threads are merged and there is some context, it makes more sense.

Edited by Rubes