Does the bills success continue without daboll?

Steptide

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

The playbook is already here. Not like he’s going to hunt down everyone with a copy. 

Will be interesting to see if they hire from within to maintain the same philosophy or do they go with an outside hire? Certainly there will be a lot of quality candidates who would want the job. Will they want to change the scheme? Will a guy like Dorsey be as creative as Daboll? Lots of questions.

I believe playbooks handed out would be property of the employer.

We're likely to lose two key offensive components -- Daboll of course, but also Daryl Williams.  Williams has been a rock at right tackle but is likely to get a huge contract offer the Bills can't match.  Josh Allen doesn't get to make a lot of his great throws if we can't replace Williams with someone good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

I would expect an initial drop off, but they will get it together, and eventually improve on where they are now. It will be a harder road for Daboll without Allen and company than vice versa. 

Justin Herbert with Tyrod Taylor as backup is a nice place to start though I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, Beast said:

What if Daboll and Dorsey are best buddies and Dorsey goes to serve as Daboll's OC?

This seems likely.  Both of them go to Chargers.    Big test for McD to get it right replacing them.   Not sure any QB in the NFL calls their own plays anymore.  Just too much to handle .  

I am a Daboll fan and no, I don't think that the Bills will necessarily suffer when he departs. The thing is, as great as he is; Josh is still young and will get even better!!! Better and more experienced.

The other thing that matters is the draft. To stay on top, we need to continue to draft good players.  Again, as great as he is, Josh still needs weapons and protection. Marv Levy is no longer the GM.  Neither is Doug Whaley. We have a talented GM who knows how to put a football team together.

I'm not at all worried.  Not any more.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think so as the Bills will promote from within for continuity reasons and they already have strong coaching staff top to bottom.

I think McD is a delegator who gets the most from his people by letting them do their own thing within the framework he laid out.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am a Daboll fan and no, I don't think that the Bills will necessarily suffer when he departs. The thing is, as great as he is; Josh is still young and will get even better!!! Better and more experienced.

The other thing that matters is the draft. To stay on top, we need to continue to draft good players.  Again, as great as he is, Josh still needs weapons and protection. Marv Levy is no longer the GM.  Neither is Doug Whaley. We have a talented GM who knows how to put a football team together.

I'm not at all worried.  Not any more.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.  And let’s not forget, if Daboll does leave, we’ll have our pick of OC candidates.  Bright offensive minds will line up to be Josh Allen’s OC...

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Daboll probably also did not have a Silly LAMP Rant about being on the hot seat.

I’m sure he had them everywhere else he was before he left to his next job since he never has seen this success before in transforming an offense...

12 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I highly doubt Daboll will leave his playbook here.  Sure they’ll be able to keep some of the concepts but it will be a different offense whoever gets the job.  

It's not Daboll's playbook it is the Bills' playbook and of course it stays here. If they don't promote from within McDermott could require an OC from outside to keep the same playbook. There are always tweaks to it every year.

I'm thinking the "playbook" if it actually printed out an in a 3 ring binder has a Bills logo on the cover, not a picture of Daboll. 

I'm not so worried about loosing Daboll. As long as he is replaced by a decent new OC. I am more worried about keeping the Allen/Diggs connection healthy. Diggs was the final piece of the puzzle. As long as they are in sync, and we have a decent Oline to protect Allen. the other pieces will continue to gel and fall into place. I am more worried that our ownership has a bad history of choosing coaches that destroyed a great defense. (Ryans). I just hope they don't repeat that error and screw this offense up.

Sometimes you just find a combination that clicks. Such is the case with Josh and Dabs. Much like Brady and Belichick, the sum of the parts is magical. However, like Brady, the great player can excel in any system. The coach or coordinator depends on the player, no matter how good the plan.

If the two separate, the player will succeed while the coach may not.

It's up to Josh Allen and Bills management. Protect Josh and give him weapons and he'll succeed. 

I expect Josh Allen to wake up the day after the season ends and work to get better for next year. I expect Bills management to continue to surround Allen with OL and weapons to succeed. I have no reason to believe anything will change. 

Absolute best case - The new OC and JA (plus all other players) click and we don't miss a beat - Allen improves again and wins MVP next season becoming the first Bills QB to throw for 5000 yds (short only 456 this year so ~29yds more a game) and at least 40 Tds (short 3)

Good case - We get the Packers O last year with year 1 of a new system... It works but clearly lack a familiarity holds us back at times. Slight regression in some areas while we appear to improve in others It then takes off in Year 2 and beyond.

Worst case - Someone comes in and tries to employee a system that doesn't fit JA and our weapons.

We should honestly be one of the best OC position openings for someone looking to make a name for themselves. Looking at our teams success here are a few things that really stand out:

1) WRs alternate the x/y/z position on plays .... OFTEN

2) We run a TON of formations - the most in the NFL and it's not particularly close

3) We run a TON of motion and pre-determined audibles - we line up in 1 formation knowing full well we'll be switching to a different one - all of this to force the D to show some of their hand based on personnel and scheme

4) Play creativity - man.... I can not imagine what it's like trying to guess what crazy idea Daboll is going to pull.... I think my favorite play even though it didn't work was the Fake HB strong side counter into a Delayed Weak Side TE Screen ..... it only failed because a LB literally fell down trying to follow the HB and when he got up the TE was literally right there

5) Plays designed to give players the ability to improvise beyond the 3-4 second mark and space them out so JA can work different depths - also keeps the CB/S away incase of a scramble. Took me a while to catch onto this - but it's really clear when Allen is running left or right an looks to throw down the sideline - there are multiple options at different depths... constantly.

6) Now that Allen is so lethal with his passing - our designed runs and plays where running is an option are so much more lethal. We don't need Lamar Jackson schemed plays, but the ability to force a D to have to always keep a spy or just bleed yardage and first downs can't be eliminated from our play calling. 

We should expect to regress slightly - but hope that Allen with another year of self improvement and time to build more chemistry with our weapons improves again. Next year will be the first year he does NOT improve at the same rate he did each year previously (ex: he is most likely not going to throw for 10 more TDS, have a 10% higher comp percentage, and average a QBR 20pts higher in year 4 .... because that would basically break the NFL and realistically there just isn't that much room between his current performance and essentially being video game perfect)

Daboll taught Josh how to expertly ride a bike.   Josh will not forget how to ride that bike once Daboll leaves.  

The only person who taught Josh how to improve his accuracy was Josh,,,(with a big assist from Jordan Palmer).

He will be fine.

We've all seen young QB's in the NFL have a really great season then fall on their face after the scheme leaves with the coach that implemented that scheme I think J.A. has grown from his own work ethic and i think Dorsey has helped along with Palmer to right some of his mechanical issues this past off season .

I hope that if Dabol decides to leave that Dorsey being the obvious choice would be the next OC because he's played the position and he knows Josh the scheme and his strength's/weaknesses now better than a new OC would .

Sure Dorsey may not have been calling plays but i'm sure he's been paying attention all the time he's been a QB coach and hasn't made it to where he is by being a slacker . Add to that that he has been around 2 NFL QB's that have probably had their best seasons while he was their QB coach so my vote would be to keep Dorsey right here to be the OC if Dabol chooses to leave .

It just makes the most sense . They say continuity consistency & comfort are the 3 C's in the NFL and the Bills have that let's not change now (refer to Rex Ryan D  changes)...