Saw the Bills-Fins replay on MSG this morning--Epenesa looks ready to break out

TPS

19 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I think we will do just that.  We don't have many holes but DE is one of them.  We can draft a LB and DE early. 

Well, Addison's a DE so cutting him will make a bigger hole at DE.  If they can identify a better, cheaper and younger player, great.  If not, it might be hard to cut him.

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

AJE stand very good odds of becoming a real good player. This is because of two things, first, his own drive to be better, and second, a coaching staff that knows how to develop its players. We are darn lucky to have the GM, HC and their staffs that we do, they are good at their jobs.  I would say that some us need to work on our patience concerning player development, but I guess that is the nature of fandom...

Don't forget the influence guys like Josh, Diggs and others can have on the younger guys.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well, Addison's a DE so cutting him will make a bigger hole at DE.  If they can identify a better, cheaper and younger player, great.  If not, it might be hard to cut him.

Don't forget the influence guys like Josh, Diggs and others can have on the younger guys.

I agree that they put pressure on the whole team to better themselves, but it’s Beane & McDermott who set the stage for it to even happen to begin with. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

What’s up with people wanting to replace players that don’t need replacing? First it was Gabe Davis for John Brown now it’s Epenesa for Hughes. Epenese should continue his role as the #3 DE/situational pass rusher and Davis should stay as the #4 WR. People always wanna fix something that ain’t broke.

Sorry, I meant Epenesa looks to be a good successor to Jerry when he's ready to hang it up after he gets his second Super Bowl ring....

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

AJE stand very good odds of becoming a real good player. This is because of two things, first, his own drive to be better, and second, a coaching staff that knows how to develop its players. We are darn lucky to have the GM, HC and their staffs that we do, they are good at their jobs.  I would say that some us need to work on our patience concerning player development, but I guess that is the nature of fandom...

Some of that is having had a franchise inept at developing anyone. What you see is what you get from every player we've had the last 15years, never getting more out of players. Those years are gone.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Some of that is having had a franchise inept at developing anyone. What you see is what you get from every player we've had the last 15years, never getting more out of players. Those years are gone.

And thankfully so, 👍

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jabu said:

They don't want Epenesa much bigger. In fact, Frazier said they earlier had asked him to drop from 280 down to 260, which he since has. Leslie said he's much improved since then, playing faster and with increased quickness, which I have noticed. Epenesa implied he'd like to add some muscle weight as he said he is about 255 now.

Where can I hear/read this stuff? What they're looking to do with Epenesa is fascinating to me: take a productive college DT/DE tweener with elite length and strength but below average (or worse) athleticism (natural fit for 3-4 DE/5-technique), and completely tear him down and rebuild him in the mold of a long 4-3 DE.

Hope it works.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, jabu said:

Here is that good article on Epenesa which also mentions the team's requested weight loss.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/01/bills-aj-epenesa-has-earned-prominent-role-in-unusual-rookie-season.html

Thanks for linking this piece. It's not super detailed on the weight/physique front, as I'd like, but it's more than I previously had. 

I'll bet Epenesa got by in college on size and power (apparently at the request of his coaches), and because it worked, probably never sought to refine or otherwise maximize his athletic traits. The weight (and diet and training) component of this reminds me a little of Bruce Smith's transformation. He was like 305 (or even 310) as a rookie, with unrefined diet and training habits. Couple dedicated offseasons, with the help of Rusty Jones (the Bills S&C coach) and, allegedly, recreational appetite suppressants, and Smith played the majority of his career down in the 260s. 

I remember a summer, maybe training camp, TV report on Bruce that featured his purchase of a stairmaster for his home, which might have been somewhat unorthodox or progressive at the time. We've since learned more about his reliance on low-impact stair climbers for keeping the weight down and the cardio up. 

NOT suggesting the two players are similar in any other ways. Truly. Just curious what Epenesa's career will look like as he transforms and maximizes his body?

4 hours ago, BfloBillsFan said:

I think if Epenesa gains some muscle and doesn't lose any speed, he can be productive for the Bills.  

Interesting that we're saying this now, as he was primarily a power-size combo guy in college. Most people said he would be a bull rush technician, but now he's a speed guy. If he can put it all together, man.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

I’m cool with letting any of those guys go if it means resigning Milano. I see us drafting another DE high in the 2021 draft. I love the fact that we have Star coming back next season. It feels good going into a draft being able to draft best player available instead of constantly plugging holes like years past.

Actually the Star contract coming back against the cap AND needing to sign Milano is a big reason that several cuts will need to be made.  

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Thanks for linking this piece. It's not super detailed on the weight/physique front, as I'd like, but it's more than I previously had. 

I'll bet Epenesa got by in college on size and power (apparently at the request of his coaches), and because it worked, probably never sought to refine or otherwise maximize his athletic traits. The weight (and diet and training) component of this reminds me a little of Bruce Smith's transformation. He was like 305 (or even 310) as a rookie, with unrefined diet and training habits. Couple dedicated offseasons, with the help of Rusty Jones (the Bills S&C coach) and, allegedly, recreational appetite suppressants, and Smith played the majority of his career down in the 260s. 

I remember a summer, maybe training camp, TV report on Bruce that featured his purchase of a stairmaster for his home, which might have been somewhat unorthodox or progressive at the time. We've since learned more about his reliance on low-impact stair climbers for keeping the weight down and the cardio up. 

NOT suggesting the two players are similar in any other ways. Truly. Just curious what Epenesa's career will look like as he transforms and maximizes his body?

Back in the late 80s when the Bills had training camp In fredonia, my father and I went to training camp every day.  Pops would always ask the players where they were going to eat later.  They’d usually end up at Bjs, so my dad and I would also go there and eat some wings. I’d always go up to Bruce and offer ONE wing, because he told me that’s all he was allowed to eat so he can be is the best shape possible.  After he ate his wing, we’d play centipede with Byron Franklin.  Great memories and my reason that I refer to the Bills as “us” instead of “the bills” or “them”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

No officer, thats my recreational appetite suppressor 😆😆

• Like (+1) 1