Saw the Bills-Fins replay on MSG this morning--Epenesa looks ready to break out

TPS

Fortunately, I came across the re-play just as the second quarter was starting.  On all but one play I focused on, Epenesa got pressure, and he was usually there pretty quick.  I have to say, I think he is more than capable of taking over for Jerry.  D. Johnson also looked good and was quick to get pressure.  I think these two will play big roles next year.

A few other comments:

- There is no way A. Williams does not make the 53 next year.  Not only did he run with power and speed, but he caught the ball well and did a good job picking up a blitzer on the first Davis catch from Barkley.

- Josh made a handful of "Holy $h_t" throws in that game.  Dam, he is going to be so much fun to watch for the next 10+ years!

- I really enjoyed watching the demoralized faces of the Dolphins player.  Which made me think the following: I think the Fins, Pats, and Jets will start drafting players to stop the Josh Allen Bills much like everyone did for Brady's Pats, though I don't know if anyone knows how to stop him yet....

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, anguskeenan said:

Jerry still plays at a high enough level to keep him. The player he'll replace has been inactive the last month+ (oustide of week 17) in Trent Murphy, who'll be a free agent. You could cut Addison, too. 

Yep.  I think they wanted that to happen in the off-season but AJ wasn’t at that point.  They ended up keeping Murphy as insurance

• Like (+1) 2

What’s up with people wanting to replace players that don’t need replacing? First it was Gabe Davis for John Brown now it’s Epenesa for Hughes. Epenese should continue his role as the #3 DE/situational pass rusher and Davis should stay as the #4 WR. People always wanna fix something that ain’t broke.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, TPS said:

Fortunately, I came across the re-play just as the second quarter was starting.  On all but one play I focused on, Epenesa got pressure, and he was usually there pretty quick.  I have to say, I think he is more than capable of taking over for Jerry.  D. Johnson also looked good and was quick to get pressure.  I think these two will play big roles next year.

A few other comments:

- There is no way A. Williams does not make the 53 next year.  Not only did he run with power and speed, but he caught the ball well and did a good job picking up a blitzer on the first Davis catch from Barkley.

- Josh made a handful of "Holy $h_t" throws in that game.  Dam, he is going to be so much fun to watch for the next 10+ years!

- I really enjoyed watching the demoralized faces of the Dolphins player.  Which made me think the following: I think the Fins, Pats, and Jets will start drafting players to stop the Josh Allen Bills much like everyone did for Brady's Pats, though I don't know if anyone knows how to stop him yet....

Go Bills!

I completely agree with your comments regarding Epenesa and especially Johnson who I expect will be taking a regular turn in the rotation next year. I think he is going to be a good one.

I believe that the Bills wanted AJ to slim down from his college playing weight to gain speed.  Now that he has done that, he need to find a way to bulk back up (at least some) without losing speed.  A good challenge for AJ and the Bills' strength and conditioning staff.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Espenesa always seems to be around the ball. He makes one play per game in his limited playing time. If he were to get a bit bigger he may be able to play more often.

They don't want Epenesa much bigger. In fact, Frazier said they earlier had asked him to drop from 280 down to 260, which he since has. Leslie said he's much improved since then, playing faster and with increased quickness, which I have noticed. Epenesa implied he'd like to add some muscle weight as he said he is about 255 now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, jabu said:

They don't want Epenesa much bigger. In fact, Frazier said they earlier had asked him to drop from 280 down to 260, which he since has. Leslie said he's much improved since then, playing faster and with increased quickness, which I have noticed. Epenesa implied he'd like to add some muscle weight as he said he is about 255 now.

What made me want to focus on him was that play in the Pats' game where he was penalized, wrongly in my opinion.  He looked really quick on that play, so I've been wanting to key on him, but it's too hard to do (for me at least) during the live telecast.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

What’s up with people wanting to replace players that don’t need replacing? First it was Gabe Davis for John Brown now it’s Epenesa for Hughes. Epenese should continue his role as the #3 DE/situational pass rusher and Davis should stay as the #4 WR. People always wanna fix something that ain’t broke.

Agreed...there will be lot more changes in the 2022 off season...but I think Beane will try to keep this team together for another run in 2021...

BUt I do agree that the Bills may have to make some cuts in 2021 for Salary Cap purpose and they may have found some easy cuts due to plays of people like Williams and Epenesa...

We could be seeing the end of Yeldon,  Addison, Kroft, Murphy etc 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

I see this kid being really good. He is around the ball. Next year look out

THis is a kid with a chip on the shoulder for slipping in the draft...Beane as much mentioned that in that Draft video earlier this year.

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Agreed...there will be lot more changes in the 2022 off season...but I think Beane will try to keep this team together for another run in 2021...

BUt I do agree that the Bills may have to make some cuts in 2021 for Salary Cap purpose and they may have found some easy cuts due to plays of people like Williams and Epenesa...

I’m cool with letting any of those guys go if it means resigning Milano. I see us drafting another DE high in the 2021 draft. I love the fact that we have Star coming back next season. It feels good going into a draft being able to draft best player available instead of constantly plugging holes like years past.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BfloBillsFan said:

I think if Epenesa gains some muscle and doesn't lose any speed, he can be productive for the Bills.  

Well think about this past off-season.  ***** show.  He will have a full year of MFL conditioning and can gain some good weight. 

I think he makes a big play this weekend.  I'm guessing a tipped pass that ends in a pick. 

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

Well think about this past off-season.  ***** show.  He will have a full year of MFL conditioning and can gain some good weight. 

I'm sure a lack of team preseason activities affected his conditioning.  I also think it was probably recommended to him by the Bills to drop some weight for the season and "play lighter".

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Yeldon, Kroft and Murphy are all UFAs at the end of the year and don't count towards next year's cap.  I think it's safe to say they're not coming back.  Addison would save $6.225M if cut pre-June 1st and $8.225M if designated a post-June 1st cut, so they could very well release him.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yeldon, Kroft and Murphy are all UFAs at the end of the year and don't count towards next year's cap.  I think it's safe to say they're not coming back.  Addison would save $6.225M if cut pre-June 1st and $8.225M if designated a post-June 1st cut, so they could very well release him.

I think we will do just that.  We don't have many holes but DE is one of them.  We can draft a LB and DE early. 

AJE stand very good odds of becoming a real good player. This is because of two things, first, his own drive to be better, and second, a coaching staff that knows how to develop its players. We are darn lucky to have the GM, HC and their staffs that we do, they are good at their jobs.  I would say that some us need to work on our patience concerning player development, but I guess that is the nature of fandom...

• Like (+1) 1