Heath Farwell unsung hero

I would have never bought a subscription to the Athletic because I am a cranky old man who does not pay for websites.  Fortunately, my son, in his wisdom, gave me a subscription as a gift.  I love Xs and Os, but this is a good example of long form journalism delving into someone's life and presenting him as a real person.  It is perfect midweek reading.  We are done talking about the last game and just beginning to talk about the next game.

Heath Farwell, the most important Bills coach flying under the radar

It is behind a paywall so here are a few excerpts:  (this quotes add up to a very small percentage of the whole article - maybe about 10% - it is truly LONG form journalism and includes some stats and Farwell's college and pro story.)

“Our special teams have been kind of under-the-radar,” Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said. “Our special teams are as good or better than the other 31 teams in the league in all phases! There isn’t a weak area.

“At times, we’re a dominant special teams group. I mean, it’s not even close between our special teams and our opponents at times.”

A low profile is fine with Farwell. He’s still new to coaching. He turned 39 last week and is just six years removed from his own playing days. He was a special teams ace with the Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks. He enjoyed a decorated career as far as grinders go, winning the Lombardi Trophy and playing in a Pro Bowl, but it’s not like he basked in the klieg lights.

“I just love these guys,” Farwell said. “I have players that care and work their butts off. It’s those guys, not me.”

Brad Childress, his first NFL head coach: “He was the nuts and bolts of our team. When I heard he was moving into coaching, to me, that was one of the most natural things ever. He’s got the pelts on the wall, and he can teach it.”

Andy Buh, his linebackers coach at San Diego State: “The guy’s a stud. Who becomes an assistant and then, after two years, gets hired as a coordinator? He went straight to the top pretty fast.”

“He relates to us,” said Jones, a gunner and jammer. “He does an awesome job of communicating with the guys. He doesn’t feel like a coach. He feels like a player. He feels like one of us.

“We got guys that sit in the meetings and don’t even play special teams,” Farwell said. “It’s a cool atmosphere here. They really embrace it.”

“Jordan Poyer is on kickoff for me, and he begs me to play more phases,” Farwell said. “He texts me at night, asking ‘What do you think about doing this?’ Which means he went through the game plan and studies it like he does defense.

“I always wanted to be the baddest dude on the field. I wanted the other team to think, ‘We just can’t block this guy.’ I wanted to be the guy other teams had to circle. I wanted that respect not only from my own teammates, but the team across from me.”

“So in Brock’s newborn photos, it looks like Heath’s about to cry. But it’s not because of the baby, it’s because he just got fired (cut from Minnesota). It was devastating.”

Edited by Long Suffering Fan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The proof is in the pudding.  I can't remember the last dumb mistake on a Bills special teams play, except the apparently unavoidable blocks in the back.  And on the other side of the coin, the positive side, they have made so many great plays.

Bojorquez has the tools to be a real weapon, instead of a cannon that shoots and we hope we know where it's going.  If Josh Allen could make such big strides each offseason, perhaps Bojo can too.

And the decision to cut Hauschka and go with Bass-O-Matic (you younger people should Google that) couldn't have been easy.  Farwell and Hauschka were (are?) friends, but Farwell did what was best for the team, and now we're set at PK for a decade or more. 

34 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The proof is in the pudding.  I can't remember the last dumb mistake on a Bills special teams play, except the apparently unavoidable blocks in the back.  And on the other side of the coin, the positive side, they have made so many great plays.

Bojorquez has the tools to be a real weapon, instead of a cannon that shoots and we hope we know where it's going.  If Josh Allen could make such big strides each offseason, perhaps Bojo can too.

And the decision to cut Hauschka and go with Bass-O-Matic (you younger people should Google that) couldn't have been easy.  Farwell and Hauschka were (are?) friends, but Farwell did what was best for the team, and now we're set at PK for a decade or more. 

You can't remember....hmmmm.  Short memory?

We have had some solid ST play and some excellent flashes, but I can remember the fumble on the return in the Denver game.  I can remember the fumble on the return in the Titans game and the missed tackle that also gave the Titans a long runback.  I can remember "laces out, Bojo!".  etc.

I can also remember that when McKenzie scored, it broke a very long drought of no scoring on ST.

Don't get me wrong, again, we've had some very solid heads-up special teams play this year and I hope it continues.  Solid all the time is better than splashy.  But there have been miscues and dumb mistakes.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Is your son @Hapless Bills Fan?? 😄
(he's the official promoter of online news subscriptions here)

Just remember I'm Your Daddy, you Kid.  And seriously, not aspiring to that, no, but I do enjoy some of the paid content and consider it worth paying for.