Qb and HC Win/loss records

Take a look at the landscape.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html

Now , I'm aware that many people aren't enamoured with QB win/loss as a stat, but it certainly tells an interesting story, Deshaun Watson despite stellar QB play (including the playoffs) can be overtaken by Josh this year, despite being consistently excellent since the start of his career.

Many of the QBs listed above Allen are in the twilight of their career. There are (by my reckoning) 8 active QBs who have won a superbowl. Of those, Foles and Flacco are reserves. Meanwhile, Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, are diminished versions of themselves with very little time left. That leaves only 3 QBs who are proven with plenty of time left- Rodgers, Wilson and Mahomes.

In the tier I categorise as young and upcoming, I would put Allen, Watson, Prescott, Jackson. Viewed in that context and faced now with an opportunity to make a name for himself in the playoffs it's an exciting time. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

Meanwhile Coach McDermott is up to a .594 win percentage. Anyone remember when he was dubbed Mc Clappy ? Oddly haven't heard that for a while. 

The future looks bright and I shall enjoy checking in on their progress up these tables as time passes.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Now , I'm aware that many people aren't enamoured with QB win/loss as a stat, but it certainly tells an interesting story, Deshaun Watson despite stellar QB play (including the playoffs) can be overtaken by Josh this year, despite being consistently excellent since the start of his career.

Many of the QBs listed above Allen are in the twilight of their career. There are (by my reckoning) 8 active QBs who have won a superbowl. Of those, Foles and Flacco are reserves. Meanwhile, Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, are diminished versions of themselves with very little time left. That leaves only 3 QBs who are proven with plenty of time left- Rodgers, Wilson and Mahomes.

In the tier I categorise as young and upcoming, I would put Allen, Watson, Prescott, Jackson. Viewed in that context and faced now with an opportunity to make a name for himself in the playoffs it's an exciting time. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

Meanwhile Coach McDermott is up to a .594 win percentage. Anyone remember when he was dubbed Mc Clappy ? Oddly haven't heard that for a while. 

The future looks bright and I shall enjoy checking in on their progress up these tables as time passes.

Go Bills.

He's tied with that "Pear shaped loser" Mike Sherman as he was dubbed on the Jim Rome show by the Clones

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

I'd add to that list Herbert.  I think he's going to be a stud- even if he's only played one season.

Also, I remember how midway through out the 2018 seasons, I looked back and was horrified about the number of times we go blown out by good teams-  The Ravens, Chargers, Packers, Colts, Patriots (x2), Bears in 2018 and the Jets, Saints, Chargers, Pats (x2) in 2017.  Now, were the ones blowing out good teams consistently!  I remember how pissed off I got hearing McDermott talk about the process as if he was an organizational turn-around expert, who had a strong track record of turning around trash-heap organizations.  What doe he know.

Our worst game of the year was the Titans game (lost to a good team) which was surrounded by weird circumstances.  McD had his own growing pains as a coach, but held true to what he believed and did the things he needed to do to become a better coach.  Looking back, the improvement was incremental but noticeable and we kept moving forward.  The NFL is littered with the bones of 1st time head coaches who aren't able to improve like our McClappy did :)

Thank God the Pegula's recognized their mistakes and hired McBean.  It was a little unconventional to hire McD before Bean, but ultimately didn't matter since they are lock step on seemingly everything in the organization. 

Edited by saundena

7 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Rodgers is 37...you think he'll be around at Brady's age?

With Rodgers I think it comes down to how into football he is.   He doesnt look like he is slowing down anytime, but I am not sure he is as obsessive about football as Brady.   I'd give it four more years for sure.

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Having an outstanding QB gets you closer to being a competitive team.  Trading his #1 WR out from under him before the season doesn't help you get better, nor does having Bill O'Brien as your HC.

As an example, Aaron Rodgers was 5-6 in the playoffs from 2011-2018 under Mike McCarthy.  Is that a reflection on Rodgers, who made the Pro Bowl 6 of those 8 seasons and was injured for much of 2017?  Or is it something else.

This isn't a decision of one thing or another.    It requires a much deeper dive.

Reminds me of the people who hype W-L totals for MLB pitchers.  Run support is a key factor in those situations, as is bullpen strength.