Neither Tasker nor Bennett make it to HOF Finalist list of 15

Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to Neither Tasker nor Bennett make it to HOF Finalist list of 15
26 minutes ago, Big74Mac said:

There are some guys on that list that should never make the hall much less be on this list. Total crime Tasker is not on this list. 

Why? Tasker played 169 career regular season NFL games. How many would you honestly say he alone was a game changer for? I honestly don't know but think 16 is a high estimate which is less than 10% of his career. I'm sorry he played well and maybe was arguably the best at his position but just a role player at most. I've compared him to the best career pinch hitter in the MLB who I can't name off the top of my head and pretty sure they aren't a HOFer.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Why? Tasker played 169 career regular season NFL games. How many would you honestly say he alone was a game changer for? I honestly don't know but think 16 is a high estimate which is less than 10% of his career. I'm sorry he played well and maybe was arguably the best at his position but just a role player at most. I've compared him to the best career pinch hitter in the MLB who I can't name off the top of my head and pretty sure they aren't a HOFer.

If Ray Guy is in as the best punter ever then Tasker deserves to be in as a player who revolutionized the game and made coaches pay attention to special teams when many didn't.

The HOF needs to stop creating moving targets for eligibility.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If Ray Guy is in as the best punter ever then Tasker deserves to be in as a player who revolutionized the game and made coaches pay attention to special teams when many didn't.

The HOF needs to stop creating moving targets for eligibility.

Guy played 38 more regular season games than Tasker despite playing in seasons that were 14 games long and was part of 3 Super Bowl winning teams. Sorry he has a better resume in my eyes even as a Bills fan.

Edited by The Jokeman

19 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Guy played 38 more regular season games than Tasker despite playing in seasons that were 14 games long and was part of 3 Super Bowl winning teams. Sorry he has a better resume in my eyes even as a Bills fan.

Did he revolutionize the game? Did he start coffin corner punting when everyone else just kicked it straight? Did he kick the ball super high to force a fair catch when everyone else hit line drives?

So a guy who just did his job well at a relatively unheralded position has a better resume than a guy who changed how the entire position and game was played in terms of special teams and how players made the team based on their ability to do that well when they may otherwise have been out of the league? What Tasker did still resonates 30+ years after the fact and paved the way for guys like Matthew Slater and Tyler Matakevich all the other great special teams players that basically only have that role on the team.

That's a hard argument for me to buy.  It goes beyond what Tasker actually did on the field which was great. It effects how the entire NFL does things to this day.

Edited by Big Turk

14 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Did he revolutionize the game? Did he start coffin corner punting when everyone else just kicked it straight? Did he kick the ball super high to force a fair catch when everyone else hit line drives?

So a guy who just did his job well at a relatively unheralded position has a better resume than a guy who changed how the entire position and game was played in terms of special teams and how players made the team based on their ability to do that well when they may otherwise have been out of the league? What Tasker did still resonates 30+ years after the fact and paved the way for guys like Matthew Slater and Tyler Matakevich all the other great special teams players that basically only have that role on the team.

That's a hard argument for me to buy.  It goes beyond what Tasker actually did on the field which was great. It effects how the entire NFL does things to this day.

Different in eras played, Tasker played in the Sportscenter generation aka highlights a plenty. I'm sorry I could argue Matthew Slater as good if not better than Tasker but neither IMO are HOFers. 

Edited by The Jokeman

41 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Different in eras played, Tasker played in the Sportscenter generation aka highlights a plenty. I'm sorry I could argue Matthew Slater as good if not better than Tasker but neither IMO are HOFers. 

You could but he wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Tasker. That's the point. Slater calls Tasker "The Godfather of Special Teams" and says he wouldn't be in the league if it wasn't for Tasker. He reveres the man...

Pretty sure no punter talks about Ray Guy like that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You could but he wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Tasker. That's the point. Slater calls Tasker "The Godfather of Special Teams" and says he wouldn't be in the league if it wasn't for Tasker. He reveres the man...

Tasker absolutely belongs. And he'll get there eventually. Might have to wait for some new voters, though.

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

And did you know who played before Tasker and caused the NFL to make a Pro Bowl spot for special teamers? I doubt it unless were a Cowboys fan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bates

Tasker should be thanking him tbh.

Edited by The Jokeman

2 hours ago, Big74Mac said:

There are some guys on that list that should never make the hall much less be on this list. Total crime Tasker is not on this list. 

Reggie Wayne, Ronde Barber, Jared Allen, Zach Thomas & Richard Seymour have no business being near the Hall of Fame.