Dolphins all in on Tua for 2021

YoloinOhio

Always bodes well when the GM is calling the shots. One thing I appreciate about Beane is he leaves the coaching decisions up to McDermott.

this is probably an over reaction, but it stood out to me that it wasn’t the coach saying it

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well Jordan Palmer on OBL, just said P. Manning, Brady, Alex Smith and Allen now is a great game manager as that is how you manage a game.

That connotation as negative is not accurate.  You’re best QB’s know when to push it which Oalmer just said Allen was not a good game manager his first year trying too hard in year 1.  Now he knows what to do when and that is the definition of a game manager.  That’s different from Captain Checkdown, which is different.  I think that’s what you mean.  For him as a rookie, that’s better then making tons of terrible mistakes killing games as a rookie.

Again not a Tua fan, just give the kid time.  Besides Allen will still beat him.  He’ll never play to this level.

i agree. The point is Allen can be a game manager when needed as well as bring a team back on his own - that last trait is what separates him from Tuhrod. I didn’t say game managing is a negative trait - rather only game managing traits is a negative

Bills, I think it’s just semantics.  I appreciate you’re remarks, and agree the reference.  I see so many people who refer to the game manager as captain checkdown, and have to have a guy open or throws it away.  Tyrod could never throw with anticipation and lead a guy.  It was fortuitous from a football perspective (not his health as that sucks for him) that Herbert made the field.  He’s going to be special.  Trent Edwards was the definition of captain checkdown.

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't see it with Tua, but then again what are the Fins options? They have pick 3 but odds are the top 2 QB prospects are taken by pick 3. They can try to get another QB at pick 3 or 20 but will they be better than Tua? Odds are they will be a similarly flawed prospect. Does Miami maybe try to trade for a vet QB? Derek Carr and Matt Ryan might be available via trade but they would spend draft capital and cap space to get what might be a marginal upgrade at QB? 

Overall the Fins are probably thinking they kick the tires on Tua another year before drafting another QB. They have 4 really high draft selections to work with to add the pieces needed on offense and defense to really compete.

I think this is it. They should evaluate the guys that might be there for them at #3. But I don't think a) we have seen the best of Tua yet, or b) there is necessarily anything better there at #3. So it might be that what you have is a Jared Goff type guy who is somewhere around the middle of the league and you can put maximum pieces around him while he is cheap and contend. That might give you a narrower window than the Bills have with Josh Allen but not everyone can have a top 4 or 5 Quarterback. And there are years when the team that wins the Superbowl doesn't have that as well. So the Dolphins have to consider all of their options and how best to proceed for their franchise. If you get a Josh Allen or a Mahomes or even a Watson the decisions are easier. But if you get someone who is more a middle tier guy you can't just throw up your hands and concede for the next 15 years. You still have to try and win. Otherwise the argument that some in this thread are making (not you I add) when taken to its logical conclusion is there are about 22 teams in the league who should just try and tank next year. 

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Good so the Phins and Pats are stuck in the QB mud and maybe the Jets stick with Darnold so the Bills sweep the division again :)

Miami are still our most likely competitor next year IMO. They are the second best team in the east, well coached, solid and young roster, lots of draft capital and some flexibility under the cap The good news for the Bills in that is we seem to have their number in head to head match ups. Even when Josh was still a developing QB he reserved his best games for the fish. 

The Bills should be in the old Patriots spot for at least the next couple of years where they almost bank at least 5 division wins before a ball has been kicked off in September. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Miami are still our most likely competitor next year IMO. They are the second best team in the east, well coached, solid and young roster, lots of draft capital and some flexibility under the cap The good news for the Bills in that is we seem to have their number in head to head match ups. Even when Josh was still a developing QB he reserved his best games for the fish. 

The Bills should be in the old Patriots spot for at least the next couple of years where they almost bank at least 5 division wins before a ball has been kicked off in September. 

I think a lot depends on who New England’s QB will be next year.   I think they go after one of the better available QB’s in the off-season and if they get let’s say a Matthew Stafford or Matt Ryan then I think they are the main challenger in the division.

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think a lot depends on who New England’s QB will be next year.   I think they go after one of the better available QB’s in the off-season and if they get let’s say a Matthew Stafford or Matt Ryan then I think they are the main challenger in the division.

True. New England with Stafford is a different beast. They had very literally the worst QB play in the league this season. 

16 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

It's a logical design.  Tua is hesitant (fixable) and has a weak arm (probably not fixable).  

His throws are weak because post injury he’s not engaging the hips all the time. Whether he figures that out or is physically able to do so will determine how far he goes.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

True. New England with Stafford is a different beast. They had very literally the worst QB play in the league this season. 

Does Fitz [Harvard Guy] wind up in New England?  If he retires, I would go after him as a QB coach if Dorsey becomes OC.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They financially look good at first glance but they have over 20 free agents with some big names to re sign. Hopefully they are not as attractive to free agents unless they overspend. Spending 20-30 million on a Qb will eat up  cap space to fix their offensive deficiencies hopefully... 

Edited by Meatloaf63

38 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yeah but to whom are they throwing the ball?  I doubt either QB is going to/can be moved and both have had some excellent skill position players.

54 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

They financially look good at first glance but they have over 20 free agents with some big names to re sign. Hopefully they are not as attractive to free agents unless they overspend. Spending 20-30 million on a Qb will eat up  cap space to fix their offensive deficiencies hopefully... 

True but if the alternative for Stafford is staying in Detroit I would imagine even Appalachun State would be attractive!

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah but to whom are they throwing the ball?  I doubt either QB is going to/can be moved and both have had some excellent skill position players.

I still think Ryan is more likely to be moved despite the cap implications because I think Atlanta are genuinely at the stage where the right play is complete tear down. Detroit can have another Stafford rebuild. If Ryan becomes available he goes to San Fran.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

True but if the alternative for Stafford is staying in Detroit I would imagine even Appalachun State would be attractive!

Money is almost always the answer so we’ll see who offered the most. New England has lost a little shine so cash will be important... we can only hope he chooses elsewhere 

20 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Money is almost always the answer so we’ll see who offered the most. New England has lost a little shine so cash will be important... we can only hope he chooses elsewhere 

I think Stafford, if he becomes available, will go where he thinks he can win. He has his money, he has his stats, where can he go that gives him a shot of a playoff run or two? You look at New England's roster and go "well not there" but then they have Bill. I personally don't think Stafford will be on the market as it happens. But if he is I think New England is very much in play. 

19 hours ago, Magox said:

As they should be.  He's only been an NFL QB for one year, they invested all this capital and they should surround him with talent.  He's got enough tools to be a decent NFL starter if they play their cards right.

They could trade out of that 3rd pick (for a QB needy team) for a bounty of 1st and 2nd round picks and build a lot of talent around Tua.   The Dolphins will be a tough team next season

• Like (+1) 1