Dolphins all in on Tua for 2021

YoloinOhio

Tua doesn't seem like "arm talent" to me, which usually turns out to be a problem in the long run.  But hey, have been through this many times in the division before, and frankly the only team who could maybe rebuild in the short term and be a threat is... NE.  It pains me to say that.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I saw this as well.  I honestly don't buy it 100%.  After the Bills game, Tua was asked if he is the starter going forward.  Tua replied "its not my call".  A QB needs to say "I am the starter and this is my team".  Tua didn't do that.

I think Grier is posturing to drive up the value for the #3 pick overall to see what they will be offered or will and draft a QB in round 1.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The doesn't look "special" I agree completely with. I worry his ceiling is low but there have been flashes and to me the formula if they are sticking with him is upgrade the interior offensive line, get him a playmaker or two who get open (I actually like Williams, Parker and Gesicki but they are all contested catch guys and Tua clearly isn't comfortable putting the ball up in the way that Fitz is at this stage) so they need guys who get open and change the offense to something better suited to his game. I understand why theoretically the spread suited him but I think a more conventional west coast two back scheme might be more suitable for who he is at the moment. 

A couple of potential All Pro WR will be on the board when they pick. I’d cry for both Smith and Chase if either one gets stuck with him. 

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

A couple of potential All Pro WR will be on the board when they pick. I’d cry for both Smith and Chase if either one gets stuck with him. 

I think Chase is the way to go. Think if they don't go QB at #3 it is a lock they go Chase. If he still makes the safe throw all the time with guys who get open routinely and separate like Chase does then it is really time to be concerned. 

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He has a 64% completion rate and 7-3, but with help from Fitz.  Remember Allen didn’t have backup to bail him out, but he did only hit 53%.  I wouldn’t write off Tua at this point.  At least Allen had OTA’s, and a pre-season.  Tua had nothing.

Im not. Tua fan, but feel like some are overreacting.  How many including a thread from yesterday saying how much it bother him the bashing of Allen.

Give Tua a real opportunity.  I don’t thin he’ll ever be Allen, but he might be decent of their staff give him three years.

Tua's arm is an insult to noodles.

I heard on a radio show that, after the 2021 NFL draft, it is likely that Tua will have played with five- 1st round NFL receivers while he was at Alabama....Ridley, Ruggs, Jeudy, Waddle and Smith.

Name me another collegiate QB that had those sort of weapons.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I heard on a radio show that, after the 2021 NFL draft, it is likely that Tua will have played with five- 1st round NFL receivers while he was at Alabama....Ridley, Ruggs, Jeudy, Waddle and Smith.

And that right there is why Alabama QBs are ALWAYS over-rated.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Not to mention 7 or 8 first round offensive linemen and running backs.  

• Like (+1) 1

The only worse thing than wasting a #5 pick, is spending another 2years to decide its not working out. I'm all for the Rosen model here if im the Fish. Prototypical coach killer stats. The front office won't get another shot at picking another QB, and I wouldn't tie my career to this dude if I were them.

2 hours ago, Domitian said:

Tua is basically Drew Brees or bust.  He does not possess any specific physical skills or strengths that make him in any way dynamic.  He will live and die by his ability to read and exploit defenses with highly accurate passing.  That's a really risky player to bet the farm on because if he doesn't pass for 70% and learn to surgically pick apart a D, he's damn near worthless.  His arm is a noddle, he's not a dynamic run threat...again...Brees or bust.

he was drafted in hopes of being the next Brees

but ppl sometimes forget Brees is the most statistically impressive QB in NFL history. the guy had multiple 74% completion/5k+ yard seasons, which is absurd. Don't think Tua gets there even if they surround him with the best talent. But Miami are a very well run team and they will be challenging for the division next year. 

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Tua still has a chance though would be worried on what I have seen that his ceiling might be a kind of a peak Alex Smith or Andy Dalton. I think generally he is accurate but he is too safe as a decision make and I don't know where the special is.

If I was Grier I would say that too (Steve Keim said exactly the same in his season ending presser after Rosen's rookie year) but I would still evaluate the QBs who might be there at #3 properly. It would depend on how I felt about them as to what I would do. I don't think Tua has been so bad that you have no hope for him and have to move on but he hasn't been so good that you just ignore the QBs who could be there for you with a top 3 pick.

If they do go with Tua I think they need an upgrade at center (I wonder if the Oklahoma kid would be an option with Miami's own 1st rounder) to help call protections and diagnose the rush and they need a receiver who can be college open in the NFL. If they don't go QB at #3 then Ja'Marr Chase is a lock you would think. 

I don't disagree with your thinking, I simply want to point out that we don't know what the coaches gave him for marching orders this season.  First year QB, how are they developing him?  Was he allowed to audible, did they want him prioritizing progressions and the safe short passes this year? 

People here were down on Daboll the last two years but never seemed to consider that Dabs was limiting the offense until JA showed he could execute it.

I also fully agree with Flores striking the middle ground and bringing Fitz in when Tua wasn't proficient enough.  People enjoy discussing whether your rookie sits a year or you throw him in there right away, but why not give Tua the time but sit him when needed to learn how he could be better in real time?  Plus it sends the  team a message you're not fully giving up the season for a rookie QB.

If it ruins first year Tua's ego then I say he was never going to make it anyways.

Miami's happy with his progress, maybe it's a smoke screen, but if not we'll see what they do with him next year.  But not a lot of "it" factor yet to be sure, might just be him following orders.

26 minutes ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

I saw this as well.  I honestly don't buy it 100%.  After the Bills game, Tua was asked if he is the starter going forward.  Tua replied "its not my call".  A QB needs to say "I am the starter and this is my team".  Tua didn't do that.

I think Grier is posturing to drive up the value for the #3 pick overall to see what they will be offered or will and draft a QB in round 1.

Fitz is a popular, seasoned, intelligent vet.  As a rookie, I'd go with Tua's response until he earns more respect.

26 minutes ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

I agree with that in terms of what Tua should have said. But the kid's confidence looks shot to bits and that is on Flores IMO. I am not saying Tua should be the guy they should 100% do due diligence on the guys available at that spot. But I don't think it is a slam dunk they should move on either.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

‘Did he say if it would be for all 4Q? 

Seriously though.....isn’t that what Zona said about Rosen, until.....

It is. Indeed the reason Kliff got that job was because he presented them a plan for making Rosen succeed. And then as soon as he had the job he petitioned to draft Murray #1 :)

I don't see it with Tua, but then again what are the Fins options? They have pick 3 but odds are the top 2 QB prospects are taken by pick 3. They can try to get another QB at pick 3 or 20 but will they be better than Tua? Odds are they will be a similarly flawed prospect. Does Miami maybe try to trade for a vet QB? Derek Carr and Matt Ryan might be available via trade but they would spend draft capital and cap space to get what might be a marginal upgrade at QB? 

Overall the Fins are probably thinking they kick the tires on Tua another year before drafting another QB. They have 4 really high draft selections to work with to add the pieces needed on offense and defense to really compete.