Dolphins all in on Tua for 2021

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

As bills fans we all have seen qbs like tua far too many times

2 situations/plays are why I don't expect much from Tua

1. Under 2 minutes to go in the first half - 3rd and 8ish, Tua throws the ball 3 yards in a game you need to win for the playoffs

2. Inside the 10 yard line going in to score, he takes off and scrambles, looks like he might get in if he dives from inside the 5 but instead he slides. He slides inside the 5 yard line instead of diving for a td in a game to make the playoffs

The slide reminded me of Kyle Orton just taking a sack instead of trying for a first down

You nailed it.   You'll look at his stats and think he is a good quarterback, and then you'll see him in an actual game and go "oh" so thats why they only win 8 games year.   He isnt a killer.

6 minutes ago, spartacus said:

comparing Josh and Tua is just a bit misleading

the entire Miami offense was designed for Tua to throw almost all  of his passes no more than 5 yards downfield

this is the Chan Gailey offense

Tua also looks bad because he'd struggle and then Fitzmagic would come in and look like Josh freaking Allen just slinging the rock. It was night and day.

6 minutes ago, spartacus said:

of course it is

it will generate much higher completion %

just don't compare it to Josh Allen throwing the ball downfield

I didn’t do that.  Not would I.  Tua is limited and not in the same galaxy as upper echelon QBs right now. 

My problem with Tua right now is that he seems to do two things.  

1. Throws the ball short (too conservative).  This makes your completion percentage look good and your turnover numbers are lower, but it's hard to win this way.

2. He throws to one side of the field well but limits himself to that side very often. (Image below)

Tua pass chart.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Domitian said:

Yup.  I'm not QB whisperer, just a fan, but personally I would put his odds of the best case scenario at less than 5%, Qb purgatory at around 25%, and captain checkdown that flames out in another year or two at 70%

I can agree with those %

37 minutes ago, Magox said:

As they should be.  He's only been an NFL QB for one year, they invested all this capital and they should surround him with talent.  He's got enough tools to be a decent NFL starter if they play their cards right.

Does he though?

38 minutes ago, Magox said:

As they should be.  He's only been an NFL QB for one year, they invested all this capital and they should surround him with talent.  He's got enough tools to be a decent NFL starter if they play their cards right.

IS that what you want out of the #5 pick in the draft, a "decent NFL starter" IF they play their cards right?  I agree with that but they have to be real disappointed thus far and the amount of capital they spent on him should not enter the equation...just look at Arizona with josh Rosen had they not been willing to part with him.

I think the Dolphins with the #3 pick should go QB or if not trade down and get even more draft picks.  

19 minutes ago, Process said:

Whatever 

Point is they are not giving up on tua for anyone in this draft other than trevor lawrence, who they obviously are not getting. 

Honestly you and I have no idea.  Miami is not going to blurt out this early what their real intentions are with the draft...no point in them throwing Tua under the bus at this point.

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The one point I agree with is bring Fitz back.  By next year he’s 39.  Not that Barkley is bad, but Fitz is better in a pinch.  No one will ever ever call it a competition with Super Allen.

Their QB experiment worked wonders this year, until Fitz got covid BUT how much does Fitz have left?  He will be 39.   For that matter does Fitz want to have to mentor Tua again for a year?

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

IS that what you want out of the #5 pick in the draft, a "decent NFL starter" IF they play their cards right?  I agree with that but they have to be real disappointed thus far and the amount of capital they spent on him should not enter the equation...just look at Arizona with josh Rosen had they not been willing to part with him.

I think the Dolphins with the #3 pick should go QB or if not trade down and get even more draft picks.  

Honestly you and I have no idea.  Miami is not going to blurt out this early what their real intentions are with the draft...no point in them throwing Tua under the bus at this point.

Their QB experiment worked wonders this year, until Fitz got covid BUT how much does Fitz have left?  He will be 39.   For that matter does Fitz want to have to mentor Tua again for a year?

He may not mind coming back to his favorite team collecting a clipboard behind a potential future MVP, and having fun with a city who loves him, and he loves it.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

He may not mind coming back to his favorite team collecting a clipboard behind a potential future MVP, and having fun with a city who loves him, and he loves it.

You mean Buffalo?  Yes I wouldnt object.  I  think at this point J Allen has progressed beyond the need for Fitz to mentor him.  Lets see what Allen does in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You mean Buffalo?  Yes I wouldnt object.  I  think at this point J Allen has progressed beyond the need for Fitz to mentor him.  Lets see what Allen does in the playoffs.

Not a mentor, just a nice insurance policy in case we ever need it.  No one can ever predict a freak accident. If so, we have a nice guy to maybe close out a game or two at the most.  How many people witched we didn’t have a backup to Allen?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

not saying Tua will not work out, but with the 3rd pick of the draft you have to take a deep dive into scouting what QBs might be available there. Big mistake. 

I agree, when you have a shot at one with a high pick and don’t have a franchise QB you really need to scout the ***** out of them. The Dolphins feel like that team that will be 6-10 for the next 3 years. If Tua busts they will be trading a kings ransom of picks to draft a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1