What is the second-most important position on a football team?

LeviF

Second-most important position  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is the second-most important position on a football team?

Voted WR.

The passing game is the first, second, and third most important aspect of any team.

You need to get both ends of the connection dialed in, then start to look to other positions.

Once you have a QB and WR to play catch, it's a good idea to eliminate your opponents ability to do the same thing.

So I would rate shutdown CB as 3rd most important.

Maybe then go to blind side OT to protect passer.  

Then finish off with elite pass rusher to get opponent's QB.

That's the Top 5 most important positions.  

Promote the pass, stop the pass.

Everything else is just filing in gaps.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Voted WR.

The passing game is the first, second, and third most important aspect of any team.

You need to get both ends of the connection dialed in, then start to look to other positions.

Once you have a QB and WR to play catch, it's a good idea to eliminate your opponents ability to do the same thing.

So I would rate shutdown CB as 3rd most important.

Maybe then go to blind side OT to protect passer.  

Then finish off with elite pass rusher to get opponent's QB.

That's the Top 5 most important positions.  

Promote the pass, stop the pass.

Everything else is just filing in gaps.

As we saw in the Tampa game on Saturday and the Saints game last night, an elite pass rusher (or even two) can be schemed against and neutralized, especially if you have a veteran QB who can get rid of the ball quickly and if the refs allow almost limitless holding, which now seems to be the case in the NFL.  A true number 1 receiver is much more difficult to neutralize and really can only be done if you have a Jalen Ramsey or Darrell Revis on the roster.  No team has been able to stop Diggs this year, although Ramsey did a very good job on him.  A true number 1 WR also opens things up for your other receivers and your running game.   

1 hour ago, Starr Almighty said:

Not that I'm picking kicker but I can think of 3 regular season games and the colts game as games we lose if the kicker blows it

So can I but as you reference it doesn't mean a kicker is the second most important position on a football team.

And do we lose if Bass goes 1/2? We go to OT...

The Bills would have been 9-6-1 this year if they decided to never kick an extra point or field goal - and forfeit each 2 point attempt.

Not bad.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, GoBills808 said:

Still 13

Put the worst kicker on the cheats*, how many SBs do they have?  They won 3 of them on last second FGs.

If you are going for it all you have to have a lights out kicker. Super glad we do.  

1 hour ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

So can I but as you reference it doesn't mean a kicker is the second most important position on a football team.

And do we lose if Bass goes 1/2? We go to OT...

The Bills would have been 9-6-1 this year if they decided to never kick an extra point or field goal - and forfeit each 2 point attempt.

Not bad.

And we'd be on the outside looking in and not win the division.  Great.  

Been there done that.  No thanks.

The trenches are the fulcrum of the game as the trench play most impacts the QB play. If your defensive line is dominating your opponents offensive line you put your opponents QB under consistent pressure and that makes them less effective and it makes running the ball nearly impossible. If your o-line is protecting your QB and opening running lanes then even an average QB can carve you up.

The highest paid Kicker in the league makes $5MM per year.

The highest paid player at any other position makes 4+ times that amount.

It's shocking that people actually think Kicker is the second most important position. The money doesn't lie. 

Watching this year's postseason makes me think that the answer to this question is that I want to have a dynamic skill player somewhere on my offense without a preference for what position that player plays. Obviously the trenches are an important area, but to me the offensive and defensive lines and pass rush are largely products of group play. 

I think that it's the piece that a lot of the lower end and a lot of the losing playoff teams don't have that some of the better playoff teams do. Indianapolis Pittsburgh and the Rams come to mind as playoff teams that have good offenses in good quarterbacks and good offensive players, But they don't have a really really dynamic physical skill player.

Like Cleveland has Nick Chubb, Buffalo has Diggs, Green Bay has Adams, and Kansas City and New Orleans are both teams that have two of those with kamara and Thomas in New Orleans and Kelce and Hill in Kansas City.

• Agree 1

I will always vote long snapper because if that guy goes down during a game your game plan changes drastically. Punts and field goals automatically are either eliminated or become very risky. Depending on your placekicker you may lose your kickoff guy as well. 

On 1/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, Big Blitz said:

The Center. 

Only other guy that touches the ball every play.  He's the leader of the oline and makes as many reads as the QB.

You get an elite one you're golden.  

Yup - if there was an “OL” option I’d vote that #1, and QB #2. The OL allows every other position to do what it’s supposed to. Doesn’t matter who your QB is if you don’t have the pass pro to give them time to throw, or WR time to develop routes, or run block to give RBs lanes. The entire offense and ability to score points starts and stops with the OL - and if you had to pick one among them the Center would be the captain and most vital. 

Hard to argue, but unless your defense is constantly putting up points, gotta give the edge to the offense - among which OL is most vital.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1