What is the second-most important position on a football team?

LeviF

Second-most important position  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is the second-most important position on a football team?

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

What 1 or 2? The Jets lost one game by 3 or less points and the kicker was 2/2. 

they played the pats and punted from the pats 41 yard line. would be around a 57 yard field goal. kick that and its a tie game.  i'm not going to literally go through theire whole season but that's a good start.   again, they are an incredibly bad team.   cb isnt doing anything for a team that cant score. 

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

they played the pats and punted from the pats 41 yard line. would be around a 57 yard field goal. kick that and its a tie game.  i'm not going to literally go through theire whole season but that's a good start. 

Either you did to find that annecdote or you have a hell of a memory.

The odds of a 57 yard FG being made by even the best kicker in the league are around 50%. 

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Either you did to find that annecdote or you have a hell of a memory.

The odds of a 57 yard FG being made by even the best kicker in the league are around 50%. 

so you're saying he could have tied it and made it a game?  how about the kick missed by bass before half of the chiefs game to tie it?  do we play that second half differently?   you are underrataing the position quite a bit.  they frequently kick game winning kicks that decide divisions, home field advantage and super bowls.  where would the pats have been with a bad kicker who couldn't hit their game winners?  lot of losing superbowls

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I said WR, but you can make a very good case for K.  Over the course of a season, the difference between a really good kicker and a below average one could be as many as 30 points and could win or lose two or three games.  Not sure you could say that about any other position besides QB.  It’s a highly underrated position and the playoff teams who don’t have a good one are at a real disadvantage.

I'm glad other people are saying this. Folks always destroy me when I pound the table for this. Hauschka cost us big time last year, yet people felt it wasn't a need.

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm glad other people are saying this. Folks always destroy me when I pound the table for this. Hauschka cost us big time last year, yet people felt it wasn't a need.

Bass has had a great year so far, but the Bills' games haven't been very close, win or lose.  Bass has yet to attempt a kick to win or lose a game.  Could happen in the next few weeks....

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

All you have to do is look at how high guys are drafted and how much they're paid. 

It all starts with the QBs and radiates outward. The bigger the effect on the qb, whether that effect is negative or positive, the more valuable.

1) QB

2) Pass rusher

3) Protector, which right now still has LTs as the most valuable

4) DB

5) WR

After that it gets harder to figure because they're closer to average.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:34 AM, aristocrat said:

Behind qb it's the kicker.  Who is respsonsible for the most points besides the qb?  Kicker.  Especially being a fan of a team where if our kicker had made a famous kick we wouldn't be the butt of so many jokes.  With how tight the average games are the kicker has a huge responsible to the team.  Hell, Bass scored all the points vs the Jets this year which helped propel us to the 2 seed.  

I laughed when I saw this, then as I read further I realized you mean it? Good lord, they're not in the top ten. Look at the success percentages of the best in the league and compare it to average guys and it's generally a ten to twenty percent difference, and when an average kicker attempts maybe 30 kicks a year, and understanding that an awful lot of the percentage comes down to how many shorter or longer kicks the guy attempted ... Not even close.

The highest-paid kicker gets $5M a year, the tenth best gets $3.86M a year. That's how valuable teams feel the difference is. 16th is $2.7M. Only 22 of them make more than a million a year. If they were that valuable, someone, either a smart GM or a dumb one, would offer Justin Tucker $10M a year. They don't. Simply because spending that much on a kicker doesn't give you an equivalent competitive advantage.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:41 AM, aristocrat said:

so you're saying he could have tied it and made it a game?  how about the kick missed by bass before half of the chiefs game to tie it?  do we play that second half differently?   you are underrataing the position quite a bit.  they frequently kick game winning kicks that decide divisions, home field advantage and super bowls.  where would the pats have been with a bad kicker who couldn't hit their game winners?  lot of losing superbowls

How about a better pass rusher gets the QB to throw an incompletion on any play of that drive and completely eliminates the kicker even having a chance. These guys make a difference, but only on a very few plays and the percentage success differences are just not very large.

The three points (or the miss) isn't a result of the kicker. It's the result of the work of every player on every play on the drive. The kicker has a part, but a lot larger part is whether the drive ends on, say the opposition 26 or their 42 or your own 35.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

I originally said DE then read your post and changed it to EDGE.

QB is the most important position. Getting to the opposing QB is therefore the 2nd most important position. That's my simplistic argument.

I like the arguments for Kicker, Center, and CB too.

EDGE has the most potential to affect a game outside QB but there are so few great pass rushers in the game at any given time that its hard to say that EDGE is critical. 

I think an argument can be made for WR.  Look at how a Deandre or Diggs can change an offense. LT seems like a nice pick but a great LT only means so much if there is a weak link somewhere else on the line.  

Its an interesting discussion for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen QB's the Offense, Edmunds QB's the Defense.  Sub Par play from these 2 key players for Buffalo results in sub par play from the units they control IMO.

Thus why Beane attempted to draft elite at both positions.

To everyone that picked WR, Mahomes favorite target is Kelce. Easily the most important player on the team not named Patrick.

I'm just saying...

Edited by Figster

Cornerback. But it's close. Offensive tackle, edge rusher, and WR are all important as well.

But I give the edge to stopping the pass. Having an elite, lockdown cornerback does so much for a defense.

3 minutes ago, In Summary said:

I chose LT for the survey, but there is the saying that the most important position is your starting QB and the 2nd most important is the backup QB.

I think that saying is incorrect, personally. A guy holding a clipboard on the sideline doesn't approach the importance of many other positions, is my opinion.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Cornerback. But it's close. Offensive tackle, edge rusher, and WR are all important as well.

But I give the edge to stopping the pass. Having an elite, lockdown cornerback does so much for a defense.

I think that saying is incorrect, personally. A guy holding a clipboard on the sideline doesn't approach the importance of many other positions, is my opinion.

The inference being that if your starter is out and you have to play the backup QB, your season rests on the backup's ability.  Going to your #2 LT, CB, RB etc would have less team impact.  Think Allen to Barlkey vs Diggs to Brown.  You can still have a good season with Brown.

10 minutes ago, In Summary said:

I chose LT for the survey, but there is the saying that the most important position is your starting QB and the 2nd most important is the backup QB.

Starting QB and backup QB play the same position. The question was not “who is the second-most important player?”