What is the second-most important position on a football team?

LeviF

Second-most important position  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is the second-most important position on a football team?

Ongoing argument between several notable poasters as to what the second-most important position on a football team is.  You'll note I've put EDGE as its own thing since could be talking about two very different positions with OLBs and DEs in 3-4 vs 4-3, etc.

Most important is undoubtedly QB.

@aristocrat come make your case for the kicker!

• Haha (+1) 3

Behind qb it's the kicker.  Who is respsonsible for the most points besides the qb?  Kicker.  Especially being a fan of a team where if our kicker had made a famous kick we wouldn't be the butt of so many jokes.  With how tight the average games are the kicker has a huge responsible to the team.  Hell, Bass scored all the points vs the Jets this year which helped propel us to the 2 seed.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Behind qb it's the kicker.  Who is respsonsible for the most points besides the qb?  Kicker.  Especially being a fan of a team where if our kicker had made a famous kick we wouldn't be the butt of so many jokes.  With how tight the average games are the kicker has a huge responsible to the team.  Hell, Bass scored all the points vs the Jets this year which helped propel us to the 2 seed.  

I said WR, but you can make a very good case for K.  Over the course of a season, the difference between a really good kicker and a below average one could be as many as 30 points and could win or lose two or three games.  Not sure you could say that about any other position besides QB.  It’s a highly underrated position and the playoff teams who don’t have a good one are at a real disadvantage.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would say it’s a tie with the guy who protects the QB’s blind side and the person who is supposed to sack it. LT and DE are the obvious choices but our defense has made a huge turnaround that coincides with Milano getting back to full strength. I believe in the near future LB’s that can cover, tackle and pressure the QB will be the new 2nd highest paid position. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm going with LT for most right-handed QB teams, RT for the rare lefty out there.  With the new protective rules on QBs these days, maybe it is less so.  But a good blind side hit on a QB is about the most satisfying play in football.  Especially if it results in a fumble too.

I originally said DE then read your post and changed it to EDGE.

QB is the most important position. Getting to the opposing QB is therefore the 2nd most important position. That's my simplistic argument.

I like the arguments for Kicker, Center, and CB too.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The Center. 

Only other guy that touches the ball every play.  He's the leader of the oline and makes as many reads as the QB.

You get an elite one you're golden.  

I considered Center, you get a great one that cal handle the blocking assignments at the LOS you have something special.

• Like (+1) 2

Where is the holder?

19 minutes ago, Magox said:

I say CB.   The most potent weapon on offense aside from the QB are the WR's and if you can essentially shut down the top weapon then it opens up a lot of things that the defense can do.

Agree here

39 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Put the best kicker in the league on the Jets.

What changes?

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

41 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would say it’s a tie with the guy who protects the QB’s blind side and the person who is supposed to sack it. LT and DE are the obvious choices but our defense has made a huge turnaround that coincides with Milano getting back to full strength. I believe in the near future LB’s that can cover, tackle and pressure the QB will be the new 2nd highest paid position. 

/thread. 

Just now, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Now that I have obliged maybe you'll answer my hypothetical - How many wins do the Jets have with the leagues best kicker?

maybe 1 or 2 more.  but put the best corner on that team and they're still not winning more than 1 more game maybe.  that team is bad all around.