Dion Dawkins: A Letter to Bills Mafia, Part II

YoloinOhio

Wow..  just wow. Full on crying, both eyes.  Nose running..  No shame.  Talk about capturing the moment and THE essence of what it means to be a Buffalonian and Bills fan.  It runs deep, it runs eternal.  Thank you Dion.  Thank you.  What a ride.  What a glorious ride. Now go get them Colts, Ravens, Chiefs and Packers.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We all want to beat the Colts... keep this train rolling right into the Super Bowl.  And with a team like this.  A team full of players and people like Dawkins... I truly for the first time in a really, really long time believe we can make it.    

His letter is an inspiration.  Not just for the games and what’s happening on the field, but also for getting through the days of this past year and year to come.   

i love this team, the players and the fans that have become the face of the franchise.  We’ve survived the desert. We waded through 20 years of purgatory and finally... we can bask in the sunshine of a promising new era.  

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1

As great as this is from Dawkins, and it is great. You have to credit Beane an McDermott. They infused family and Brotherhood and respect into winning in playing football. They were able to draft players that believe in Buffalo and winning as much as the fans and themselves.  

I think it's a very complete and unique environment that they have created here in such a few short years that encapsulates the past while being completely focused on the future

• Like (+1) 3

I love these letters from players. They're amazing.

As happy as I am about the Bills doing so well, I've been a little down about the fact that it's happening during THIS year, with no fans in the stands or out in the city celebrating, with no way for me to attend a game during what has been the best season of my adult life. There's been a small part of me that's like "well, winning the Super Bowl would be great this year...but couldn't we do it NEXT YEAR instead?". It just seems cruel for the best fan base in sports, after all these years of misery, to potentially miss out -- at least as far as live attendance, tailgating, and in-person celebration goes -- on the first championship season in team history. 

But I have to say, two things have turned me around.

First is the fact that there will be fans in the stands for the playoffs. I know it's not full capacity and I know 6,700 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it MATTERS. Thousands of loyal Bills Mafia family members ARE going to get to see this team play live and in person, in a home playoff game. It's gonna mean a lot to the team to have them there, too -- that, I know for sure.

Second is this article. The way Dion puts it -- that the Bills have injected joy into a terrible year -- is right on the money. The degree to which a trivial thing like sports really CAN lift up a community during times of hardship can't be overstated. Just look at the Saints after hurricane Katrina. Reading Dion's letter makes it clear that, though we can't be together on game days, the bond between team and fans has never been stronger. This year has STRENGTHENED it, if anything, and who know that THAT could be possible?

All that's left to say is: Go Bills! Go bring home that Lombardi.

• Like (+1) 3

Does anyone else get the sense that the Bills have a lot of players who are in their young 20s, yet they are old souls? These guys really seem to understand the moment that they are in and truly follow their coach’s mantra of staying humble and hungry. That is quite a departure from the Super Bowl teams of the ‘90s.

I don’t know how this will all end this year, but I’ve never had more of a sense that this truly might be a team of destiny.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, there just simply seems to be nothing more anathema to this team than losing.

The idea of even coming close to them losing again is something, to a man, that if I were to bring it up in the locker room with them 60 guys in that room would start clenching their fists...very tightly.

This is a different Bills team.

...get used to different.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

I cannot say enough great things about Dion Dawkins.

Have said this before and will say it again, when this is all said and done, Dion will go down as one of THE greatest and most beloved Buffalo Bills players in franchise history, and yes he is a REALLY good OL, but moreso because he is a great young man that just GETS Buffalo perfectly.

Dion is such a breath of fresh air in today's world, we all need more people like Dion around.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

I love these letters from players. They're amazing.

As happy as I am about the Bills doing so well, I've been a little down about the fact that it's happening during THIS year, with no fans in the stands or out in the city celebrating, with no way for me to attend a game during what has been the best season of my adult life. There's been a small part of me that's like "well, winning the Super Bowl would be great this year...but couldn't we do it NEXT YEAR instead?". It just seems cruel for the best fan base in sports, after all these years of misery, to potentially miss out -- at least as far as live attendance, tailgating, and in-person celebration goes -- on the first championship season in team history. 

I just imagine where I would be mentally if the Bills sucked this year... 

Personally, the Bills being great during the worst year of my life has been a friggin godsend. 

• Like (+1) 6

I’m intrigued by the concept of “no ceiling.” We’ve always heard about “the sky is the limit”, but no ceiling connotes something else entirely, imo. What a great way to define greatness and what it takes to get there.