Dion Dawkins: A Letter to Bills Mafia, Part II

YoloinOhio

We saw Arizona celebrating on the field, after the Hail Mary. And it was just something about it, man. It was the way they were running around, hooting and hollering, like they’d won the damn Super Bowl. It was something about that. I think for whatever reason, that just struck this chord with us. Not because we were annoyed with them or anything. They won, they can celebrate how they want. Nah. It was more like: We looked at them. And then we looked at us. And I think we just had this moment of, Alright — hold up. If they’re fired up like they won the Super Bowl….. why aren’t we upset like we lost the Super Bowl?

And I think that’s when it hit us. It hit us that things are different now.

It hit us that this team, our team, these Buffalo Bills — we’ve moved on to a different place. Like, with all due respect to the Cardinals: I think they're in a similar spot now to where we were these last few seasons. Just trying to claw and make the playoffs with an up-and-coming roster. Whereas, for us? It’s not like that now. We’re taking the long view. Every game isn’t the Super Bowl for our team. 

The Super Bowl is the Super Bowl for our team. 

Or at least that’s what we’re working toward.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We saw Arizona celebrating on the field, after the Hail Mary. And it was just something about it, man. It was the way they were running around, hooting and hollering, like they’d won the damn Super Bowl. It was something about that. I think for whatever reason, that just struck this chord with us. Not because we were annoyed with them or anything. They won, they can celebrate how they want. Nah. It was more like: We looked at them. And then we looked at us. And I think we just had this moment of, Alright — hold up. If they’re fired up like they won the Super Bowl….. why aren’t we upset like we lost the Super Bowl?

And I think that’s when it hit us. It hit us that things are different now.

It hit us that this team, our team, these Buffalo Bills — we’ve moved on to a different place. Like, with all due respect to the Cardinals: I think they're in a similar spot now to where we were these last few seasons. Just trying to claw and make the playoffs with an up-and-coming roster. Whereas, for us? It’s not like that now. We’re taking the long view. Every game isn’t the Super Bowl for our team. 

The Super Bowl is the Super Bowl for our team. 

Or at least that’s what we’re working toward.

In the play of the year thread, I had the Allen to Diggs late score against AZ.  I wasn't that mad about the Hail Mary.  

After Allen hit Diggs with that deep corner pass, that's when I thought this team was something special.  

• Like (+1) 10

He's not that different from Josh, in that he worked hard and fought to get to where he is. Not sure if I ever mentioned that my son in law was his tutor at Temple. They stay in touch.

Dion is loving Buffalo. He has a wife and two young kids. They just bought their own place in Hamburg and of course the contract. He gets Bills Mafia and what the team means to people.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"Mafia, we told them!! We told them this bandwagon wasn’t open for business. "

How can you not love the letter Dion wrote, truly exceptional.

He understands what it means to be a Bills fan.

After reading that letter it just seems almost surreal the incredible success and promise we have. Dion is right, we are not lovable losers anymore.  No more moral victories, as Dion wrote a real "actual-ass victory!!!"

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah I’m not gonna make it to Saturday. 

Can we close the books on whether the Diggs trade was good for our team now?  Dion on the Florida workout:

So then later on during the offseason, our receivers and quarterbacks, they all got together in Golden Beach, Florida, to run through some workouts and drills. I was in the area at the time, like a five-minute drive from where this was happening — and once I heard that Diggs was going to be there, I thought, man…... I have to swing by. Gotta meet this dude. See if he’s who they say he is. So I came through, said my hellos real quick. Then I posted up on a bench to watch them work. And I’m not going to say I was skeptical. But I was definitely in the mood of, like, Alright, new guy. What you got.

SMH.

No, literally. SMH.

I’m literally shaking my head, writing this, thinking back to that day.

Stefon, man….. dude put on a SHOW. 

(......)

I think what I’ve realized with Stefon is that, being a superstar…... it’s not about having a higher ceiling. It’s about having NO ceiling. That actually might be the best way to explain it. It’s like — every breath that dude takes is about finding a whole new level.

And so when people ask me if Diggs has come in and impressed us this season, I’m like: nah. Because I don’t really think “impressed” is the right word.

I think it’s more like “shocked.” 

Not because we had low expectations or anything. But it was more like….. alright, y’all are going to laugh at this, but I’m still going to say it: I think there were players on this team who — before they saw Stefon?? Legit had no idea people could be this good at football.

Dead serious, man.

In other words, Stefon has redefined what good football means for our squad.

That’s the kind of impact he’s had.

(....)

I was trying to think of how I can summarize Stefon for this article — and I think the best I could come up with is: Dude is obsessed with making the people around him better. 

You know what I mean? Like, whether it’s staying after practice with Gabe and working him through a ball cart of reps. Or it’s speaking up in a meeting and making sure him and Cole have their timing on a crossing pattern down to the split second. Or it’s just doing whatever is needed to lead his group like a true unit. (I call them the Skinny Boy Unit.) Or it’s making the type of play where the entire sideline is left speechless, and is just like, Oh, word? We’re setting the bar at “Hall of Famer” today? Whether it’s any of those things, man. Stefon has been there for it.

And I respect the hell out of him for that.

I've commented before that I thought all our WR, including John Brown and Cole Beasley as well as Isaiah McKensie, had "leveled up" this year.  Chad Hall may be one reason, I'd speculated that Stefon Diggs is another.  Dion makes it clear that's right. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's not that different from Josh, in that he worked hard and fought to get to where he is. Not sure if I ever mentioned that my son in law was his tutor at Temple. They stay in touch.

Dion is loving Buffalo. He has a wife and two young kids. They just bought their own place in Hamburg and of course the contract. He gets Bills Mafia and what the team means to people.

One of the few things that truly annoyed me about some media pundit, was referring to Dion as the "Self-named Shnowman" or something like that, like he made up the nickname to get attention.  It was kind of belittling.

No, he got the nickname shoveling snow all day in middle school in NJ to make money for his fam.  Check out his episode of "Coffee with the Bills" (about 3 in)

At least ask, media peeps.  Don't ASS U ME.

Dion is cool, Man.

9 minutes ago, teef said:

i hope they make the guys watch the texans playoff game from last year.  if that doesn't leave a bad taste in their mouths, nothing will.

Waste of time.  Face Forward.  Watch more Colts film with that time.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, teef said:

i hope they make the guys watch the texans playoff game from last year.  if that doesn't leave a bad taste in their mouths, nothing will.

What's with the negative waves, Moriarty?

• Haha (+1) 2