Regardless of playoff outcome, will you consider this Bills season a success?

YoloinOhio

Will you consider this season a success regardless of playoff outcome?   

247 members have voted

1. 1. Will you consider this season a success regardless of playoff outcome?

2. 2. If no, will one playoff victory check the box or do you need more to consider it a success?

• One playoff victory will suffice my success meter
    • Super bowl or bust
    • Need to get to AFC championship

I voted "Yes." This season was a success the moment we swept the Patriots* and took the AFCE. But, then I accidentally clicked "Super Bowl or Bust," and it wouldn't let me un-click it. But, that's OK. This season was a success. Now, it's Super Bowl, or bust!!!

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m haunted by the 1999 team. That was a super bowl team. Weird things happen in the playoffs. But at least we don’t have that QB “situation” this time.

I would be less disappointed in this team than that team because we were the best team in the AFC that year going into the playoffs.  We didn't have a team as good as the Chiefs ahead of us.  Also, we knew that team had a short window while this team is set up for long term success.  I demand at least a playoff win though or this season will be a disappointment.  

Before the season I said win the division and win a playoff game would be a success in my eyes.  I felt that way part way through the season too.  After the last month of seeing this team just demolish their opponents, I think anything short of the AFC conference game is a disappointment.  This team has what it takes to win a super bowl.  They should at least get to the champ game.

I'd say as far as where I thought this team would be preseason, I would consider this season a success. In a challenging situation and season, this Bills team went out there and won the division, convincingly. Josh Allen has developed into the QB we all wanted him to be. 

Saying all that, in season obviously my expectations shifted and I think they should at least win a playoff game for this season to be a success. This team has so much talent that the bar has shifted.

Regular season is over now and those stats now mean nothing... Let get to the AFC Championship and see from there. I want a Super Bowl win b.c that is the players goal also, and I want to be in the same thought process as them. 

Let's Go Bills!

Tough question.....

Sure they’ve been successful. But I don’t think the players,,FO or Fans will be satisfied with what they’ve accomplished unless they win a couple playoff games. Which means make it to the AFCCG.

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 1

If we go 13-3, winning our last 6 in a row, 9 of our last 10 games, and then get ousted in the first round the season is a failure. Yes, the regular season was fun, but the post season is where history and legends are made. Honestly, I think anything outside of the AFC Championship game would be a huge disappointment. In my mind this team is better positioned to win a SB than any of the 90's teams. It is yet to be determined if we have an A list of HOF talent on these rosters, but this is the closest team in terms of a team mentality I have ever seen in Buffalo. They play for each other, they play for the fans, they play for the city of Buffalo, and there is a vibe with this team that I can't remember ever feeling before with any other. They went from trying to figure out who they were to showing the league this is who we are. They went from trying to find ways to win to imposing their will on the opposition. They are never satisfied. There is one goal and that's a Lombardi for them. You see it, you can hear it in their voice, and you can tell by the way they carry themselves. Won, not done. Bring it home for all of us. LET'S :censored: GOOOOOO!!!!!

tenor.gif

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am with the majority..... no if we lose on Sunday. Yes if we win on Sunday. They were my terms of success at the outset and I don't think you change that in hindsight. 

However, man this is an opportunity to win a Superbowl. I thought we had the chance to do that before the season but I thought we had a small outside chance. Right now we are playing the best football of any team in the league, we are confident, loose, the defense has rounded into form and we just look ready. Coupled with that the team that seemingly stood in our way is in a lull (as big of a lull as a 14-2 team can be) and struggling for rhythm. You can be a great team that contends regularly and not get that many years where it falls your way. Think of the Dungy Colts who only made the dance once despite all that talent because they couldn't find a way past Brady and the Pats for so many years. The Bills could make the playoffs for the next 6 years and there might not be another opportunity quite as good as this one. 

So no, my criteria for success has not changed, but the opportunity to go all the way is calling. The time is now. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am with the majority..... no if we lose on Sunday. Yes if we win on Sunday. They were my terms of success at the outset and I don't think you change that in hindsight. 

However, man this is an opportunity to win a Superbowl. I thought we had the chance to do that before the season but I thought we had a small outside chance. Right now we are playing the best football of any team in the league, we are confident, loose, the defense has rounded into form and we just look ready. Coupled with that the team that seemingly stood in our way is in a lull (as big of a lull as a 14-2 team can be) and struggling for rhythm. You can be a great team that contends regularly and not get that many years where it falls your way. Think of the Dungy Colts who only made the dance once despite all that talent because they couldn't find a way past Brady and the Pats for so many years. The Bills could make the playoffs for the next 6 years and there might not be another opportunity quite as good as this one. 

So no, my criteria for success has not changed, but the opportunity to go all the way is calling. The time is now. 

Agree with the analysis, but precisely for the reasons of opportune timing you nicely indicated, I will be disappointed if they fail to take advantage. When the time is right, it's right. Personally, anything short of AFC Championship round is a fail for this team as they are currently playing. And really, they are the best, they hit the playoffs perfect, so just win. I'm certain that is how the players feel.

I feel like we have been spoiled this last month or two watching this team just take off and have very high expectations.

I'll stick with my start of season expectation of win the division and win a playoff game.

My expectation after watching them has me feeling SB or bust.

Very happy with the regular season--who isn't? And because of that, the expectations are higher now. So, yes, I would be disappointed with the seasons results if we lose on Saturday. After that, I'm good no matter what happens.

Must win for this season to be a success; 1 win is enough...but I think we have a great shot at more than that! 

Maybe a lot more.

We have a real chance to win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR.

We just need to keep the Bills train moving down the tracks.

I voted no just because the expectations today are just higher.  We are the hottest team in the NFL by a wide margin heading into the playoffs, so losing a game after all the records, stats, wins, etc now would be a huge disappointment.

However...that being said, no matter what happens from here on out, the truth is that this was a success no matter what.  The only thing that mattered to our future was the development of Josh Allen.  Hes arrived.  Ive seen Peyton Manning go into the playoffs while in Indy an NFL record NINE times and lose the first playoff game.

So I wont truly judge the success of the season on what happens next.  Anything can happen in the playoffs...I mean I have seen things like Trent Dilfer win a SB, Rex Grossman get the Bears to a SB, Jeff Hostettler upset the Bills in a SB, a 7-9 team beat a division champion, a journeyman career backup out duel Brady's 500 yards, a relatively no name team with a 6th round rookie QB upset the greatest show on turf, a special teamer win SB MVP, a backup QB make the greatest comeback in NFL history, the music city miracle, etc, etc, etc.  

For me, it would be a MASSIVE disappointment to not get a playoff win this year, but I still would see the teams year as a success and a major step in the right direction.   

I want the Bills to take it all.  Win the BIG ONE.   But, that said, if they get beat, I don't want them to lose to any team other than Kansas City or Green Bay.  If they are better right now, so be it, but I don't want them to lose to anyone else.

In some respect there is little way to not call a 13 win season a success.

But a first round playoff loss will taint how you feel about the season. 

Think of it this way, in five years will you be able to remember they won 13 games or that they lost the first home playoff game in two decades to Philip Rivers and the lowest seed Wildcard Colts?