Regardless of playoff outcome, will you consider this Bills season a success?

YoloinOhio

Will you consider this season a success regardless of playoff outcome?   

247 members have voted

1. 1. Will you consider this season a success regardless of playoff outcome?

2. 2. If no, will one playoff victory check the box or do you need more to consider it a success?

• One playoff victory will suffice my success meter
    • Super bowl or bust
    • Need to get to AFC championship

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

I responded to a specific post in the thread. If you want more context for what I wrote, reference that specific post.

I'm sorry, I responded incorrectly to your post. It was supposed to be directed to someone who said the Ravens blowing the 1st playoff game 2 years in a row and their still considered a great team.

I couldn’t vote, because I’m torn.

This season has been a huge success without question. It wildly exceeded my expectations, not only with the record, but how they looked getting there. They didn’t just win, our offense was more entertaining than I could have dreamed to see. 

The post-season is the question. I’ll be extremely disappointed if we are not at least in the AFC Championship Game. We are good enough to belong there. However, this is the NFL, and this is the playoffs. “On any given Sunday” applies all season long, and it applies even more when every game is against one of the best teams. 

We CAN beat anyone, I have no doubt about that. If we play a stinker or come across a hot team, I’ll still be thankful for all the enjoyment and hope this season has provided. I’ll also look forward to next season more than ever!  (That means I won’t throw my hands up and swear to be done with this team forever!  :)

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, wjag said:

Next year, hell yes.  This year, I think their run defense and run offense is just a little short of getting it done.   Will be delighted to be wrong.

I think our run defense is our Pass Offense.   And our defense is kept rested to motivate the opponent into gotta keep up no time for running. Let's our defense feast in takeaways or just stonewalling their pass offense. I see our offense make defense easier and our defense makes our offense easier due to Bills being able to use any play because we have a qb who can read defenses and knows what will be a good counter play.  I expect them to bring home the Lombardi, if they fall short at any step I know the game is gonna be a great football game that will be entertaining to all fans that tune in, so it would just delay the SB victory. And just means watching some great football for however long JA17 decides to play football for.  He is a franchise QB, and I think he is Bill he entire career, and ushers in a new era of future gold jacket wearing Bills.

SB is a push.  We can make it, but wouldn’t be upset terribly if we made it to the wire and they win by 3 or 4.  I expect more than just winning one game.  That is a huge disappointment the way we are playing and the way the Colts are playing if we can’t beat the Titans, Steelers, Browns, or Ravens.

We are the better team than all of them.  We can certainly stand toe to toe with the Chiefs, but won’t be distraught is if we lose close.  If we do lose, my bet is the Chiefs beat whoever is there in Tampa.  Either one of us should be able to beat the Packs, Hawks, Saints, or Bucs.

• Like (+1) 1

Need that 1st playoff win to check that box for this regime.  And so I don’t have to hear about 1922 when the Bills won their last playoff game.

In addition, I want to watch more football this weekend.   When the Bills lose I tune out.  That would be one of the suckiest things about losing the 1st game on Saturday.   Can’t stand watching Bills highlights from a loss. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB
  • Like (+1) 2

Right now I am in the mindset of Super Bowl or bust. I may change my mind later on and consider it a success if we win a playoff game, but at the time it would be a disappointment if we fall short of at least being in the AFC championship game.

9 hours ago, Nineforty said:

I view them as two separate entities. Great regular season. great accomplishments. nothing, not even a 50-0 loss to Indy would change that for me. or the fondness I will have for this season.  

Same here.  You can't say it was not a great season, with massive improvements that leads to a lot of optimism for the years ahead.  When it comes to playoff games I really do want them to win because I want this team to experience that joy together.  Same for losses, I hate to see these guys who played so well together and really bonded as a team to have to suffer a loss. 

As for me personally, it's all upside.  I've thoroughly enjoyed the season.  If they lose this week or next or whenever, I can deal with it.  If they win, of course I'll be happy, as there is an ultimate goal here.  I'm just not feeling like it's now or never for this team as they look like they are poised for long term success.  I like their chances this year though, because they seem to be playing loose and having fun.  If they can keep that up and not get all wrapped up in "the pressure" of the playoffs, they might go very far.  Fingers crossed!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Personally, I view this season as a success regardless.

Why? Because the Bills solved, once and for all, the most difficult-to-solve problem in pro football: They confirmed without equivocation that they have a franchise QB. To me, that was the most important thing this season. With the 5th year option on Josh coming up, the Bills needed a clear answer one way or the other as to whether he was "the guy". His play stated emphatically that he is.

Even if the Bills were to go out and get upset in the playoffs -- even if they don't win a single playoff game, in fact -- establishing Allen as a franchise QB, establishing the offense as top shelf, sweeping the division for the first time ever, and tying the team record for most wins....to me, that's a successful season.

All that said, it would obviously be a huge disappointment if they didn't win a playoff game or three. But I wouldn't be all that upset, because this year checked the last "long term contenders" box that needed to be checked: QB. We now know that we have the ownership, the front office, the head coach, the QB, and more often than not, the defense, to contend for titles regularly for the next decade+. So would it hurt? Sure. But I know the Bills will be back and better than ever next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. This Bills team is here to stay.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4

I think Saturday is the most important game of a possible run.  If Josh can get over the hump of winning a playoff game, his confidence will be through the roof.  But if we see flustered, red-faced, impetuous Josh, that won’t be good.

If Bills win Saturday, I guarantee at the very least an AFC Championship appearance.  And if the Chiefs were not the reigning champs I would guarantee a SB appearance.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Won AFC East

Swept division opponents 6-0

beat the Patriots (twice)

13-3 record

multiple prime time wins 

josh Allen an mvp candidate, best season a Bills QB has ever had 

501 points scored 

Stefon Diggs leads league in receptions and yards, best season a Bills WR has ever had

All with no OTAs or preseason and navigating numerous Covid challenges 

That's a lot.. but I'm hungry. Look if Josh absolutely destroys the colts then maybe one win would settle my hunger pains.. but deep down inside.. I want KC. I want to know where they are at and until we play KC again that hunger will not be satisfied. Period.

To me this is the start of a dynasty.. we had a dynasty in the early 90's and I feel we are there again. Short term AFC Championship game against KC. Long term... SB visits. and a win. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m haunted by the 1999 team. That was a super bowl team. Weird things happen in the playoffs. But at least we don’t have that QB “situation” this time.

Not if Chad Kelly has anything to say about it. 

My way of looking at it is this team has grown a lot during this season and Josh has matured into a franchise QB over the course of the last year.

He seems to learn from his mistakes and last years playoff loss taught him a lot.

While I have high expectations for this year I think they are going to have a lot of good years going forward maybe even some really great ones  :)