Regardless of playoff outcome, will you consider this Bills season a success?

YoloinOhio

Will you consider this season a success regardless of playoff outcome?   

247 members have voted

1. 1. Will you consider this season a success regardless of playoff outcome?

2. 2. If no, will one playoff victory check the box or do you need more to consider it a success?

• One playoff victory will suffice my success meter
    • Super bowl or bust
    • Need to get to AFC championship

If you look at the totality of the body of work put in by this regime, then there is zero question that the progress shown from the depths of the 2018 tear down/rebuild are long in the rearview mirror, and we have tangible milestones that have been reached (finding/developing a franchise worthy heir QB most of all), so much so that even though it would be tough to watch us strike out in the playoffs, I'd hold my fire on the hot takes until next year at least. But it's almost inconceivable that they won't win at least one playoff round this year. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They "choked" in 2018?

They weren't even favorites in the game against the Chargers. They didn't choke at all..... Last year yes, a very disappointing loss to the Titans at home.

They were coming off a big win streak and looked very good. And then they were completely neutralized. I think everyone was pretty surprised to see them struggle so badly that year. And I don't think anyone would have been surprised to see Baltimore win that game.

Two or more years ago I would have said "Yes", but given the state of the franchise and what has been accomplished by this team, I have to answer "No". It will be difficult to predict what my perception of success will be for anything short of a Super Bowl win. That's not to say that if the Bills were to lose anywhere between the Divisional Round and the Super Bowl that I would consider it a "failure", but I just can't anticipate that thought process until after the season is fully complete for the Bills. 

At this point I will not be happy unless the Bills reach the AFCC.  Assuming that will be KC, its house money.  I will not be surprised if they win or lose.  Anything short, makes this a good season,  but not a great one.

• Like (+1) 1

To me, it's already a success. Allen and the team made a huge leap and the offense as a whole made an even larger leap.

It can be a successful season with a disappointing ending (losing to the Colts). I don't think those two things contradict one another.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just knowing that we have our QB with an exciting offense, great coach/GM combo and the comfort of making the playoffs for many years to come is all I needed. But hell yea, I really think this team is the best in the league and the stars are aligned to take this thing this year....let's go get it

It's not wrong to re-evaluate expectations during the course of the season.  To start the year I thought they needed to win the division and make the playoffs that way, then take a post-season game.  

Now, to be the 2 seed with 6 straight wins entering the playoffs the standard rises.  Winning 2 games to advance to the Conference Championship has to be the bar.  And why not think SB while we're at it.  This team is that good right now.    

Nothing illegal about shooting for the highest level.  You never know what'll happen in future seasons, so win now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Anything other than a loss to KC in the AFCCG or trip to the SB is a huge disappointment. 

Going into the season a playoff win was a good goal. After the season we had, going into the playoffs as the best and hottest team in the league, with an elite QB, they need to do more. 

Going 13-3 only to lose to the freakin colts in the playoffs would be a bigger failure than last year. 

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

If we beat Indy and then lose to Pittsburgh or Cleveland, I will not consider the season a great success, although it really was successful.

There is no chance we play Cleveland unless it is in the AFC Championship game.  Game 2 if we get there is Pitt or the Balt/Tenn winner.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel this. I’m so used to losing in the playoffs that I’m not fully enjoying the excitement of their regular season like I should. I’m bracing myself. I hate that. 

Wait a minute ... the Bills have only played in 2 previous playoff games in the last 20 years.   I think that 2 playoff losses -- one of which was a last minute surprise from a make-shift roster filled with hold overs from the previous regime -- does not scream a pattern of losing in the playoffs.   I think that the Bills' long history of blowing opportunities to win games in the past is what's really limiting your excitement for their regular season. 

This team isn't anything like any Bills teams we've seen before ... even us old-timers who remembered the great Super Bowl teams of the 1990s.   I will be disappointed if the Bills don't win the Super Bowl, but manure can happen in the playoffs.  This season has already been a great success, win or lose against Indy on Saturday.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MJS said:

I guess I'd have to see how the playoffs happen before really being able to answer this. If the Bills get spanked by the Colts, that's pretty disappointing. If Josh Allen and Diggs get COVID and can't suit up, it's a little of a different story though.

Just have to take things one game at a time. All things bring equal, I would like to see the Bills make it to the conference championship game.

I guess. The Ravens choked in the playoffs two years in a row but I think most people think they are still a very good team and a threat in the playoffs.

That being said, the Bills need to go prove their worth in the playoffs.

The thread was what would make the season a success? What does the perception of the Ravens after they lost as the top seed have to do with us. Losing for this team will not be acceptable after this regular season. 

I am not quite so harsh on this team, as I do not think that any of us would be harder on this team as they would be on themselves if they do not go far this post-season.

I cannot look at the ground-work that has been laid, the team that has been assembled, the continuity of FO management that has been invested in and call this season a failure if the bounces do not go our way in the playoffs.

Will I be disappointed, sure. But, is there anyone that thinks that this Bill's squad and Allen are one and done for post-season appearances? This team is built to be competitive for a long haul with a generational talent at QB.

They just need to get their ticket to the shows, prep and game-plan like they have all year, then focus and execute as they have at a high level.

The rest will take care of itself.

If this was the beginning of the season and the poll was worded such as to ask if the Bills were able to achieve what they've in fact achieved irrespective of playoff results, I think I would have answered differently. Watching this team grow and seeing the momentum they have going into the playoffs, while I wouldn't necessarily call this season unsuccessful if they fail to reach the AFC Championship game or SB, I would feel like they fell well short of their potential and wasted an opportunity that there is no guarantee that they'll get again, especially with the poaching of the coaching staff and front office that will inevitably take place.

32 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

The thread was what would make the season a success? What does the perception of the Ravens after they lost as the top seed have to do with us. Losing for this team will not be acceptable after this regular season. 

I responded to a specific post in the thread. If you want more context for what I wrote, reference that specific post.