Anyone else get annoyed when people say Josh Allen’s first 2 seasons were terrible?

In my opinion the media does it to hype up Allen, commentators and reports can't say " he's been improving over his career and looks great." They need it to be way more grabby, like Allen arose from a burning dumpster and grew angel wings this year. They want people to tune in to watch josh Allen who defied all odds bringing the under dog blue collar buffalo bills to the play offs.

• Like (+1) 1

It annoyed me more when I heard that kind of lazy criticism here. I especially could be harsh when I heard the common complaint that "Allen has to be better" as if we would waive him if all he did was match his 2nd year performance and get us into the playoffs with two weeks to spare.  Most commonly though, there were posts about how the poster really liked Josh and they were totally supporting him before going into a lengthy dissertation on the overwhelming proof that he was a terrible QB who would never improve. 

Thankfully, all that is over, for now. 

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it's annoying that it's lazy but I could really care less, usually because the ones that say it are usually lazy reporters who I don't care much about.

Exactly who cares. Those who watched all of his games saw obvious potential. Arm strength ,athleticism and maybe his most underrated asset-leadership. Not sure others who are flopping around year one or two right now compare. Herbert and Burrow are exceptions. 

7 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

Dree Brees first 2 seasons where terrible, Brady and Rodgers didnt play their first 2. It's not where you start but where you finish

NE won a SB in Brady's second season.  He was 11-3 , was SB MVP and went to the PB.

Brees appeared in one game his first season.  He started 6-1 and finished 8-8 his second season. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

After Tua’s rookie season, the pundits say that he struggled because he didn’t have any weapons to throw to.

After Allen’s rookie year, these same pundits laughed at Allen and considered him a joke, without ever mentioning the fact that his two receivers were the propped up corpse of Kelvin Benjamin and Zay “hands of stone” Jones. 

Why do do some guys get the benefit of the doubt, when others do not??

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Special K said:

After Tua’s rookie season, the pundits say that he struggled because he didn’t have any weapons to throw to.

After Allen’s rookie year, these same pundits laughed at Allen and considered him a joke, without ever mentioning the fact that his two receivers were the propped up corpse of Kelvin Benjamin and Zay “hands of stone” Jones. 

Not just that, look at the OL.  They lost their 2 best OL in Wood and Incognito.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

NE won a SB in Brady's second season.  He was 11-3 , was SB MVP and went to the PB.

You're right, but he sat for a period of time, had no expectations of him when he did start. He was entrenched into a perfect situation, great defense, great coach, solid offense and cheated. 

33 minutes ago, Special K said:

this is what makes me mad

Do ppl not realize Tua's completion % and stats are propped up by all those screens and 3 yard throws? Allen had none of that, and was on a FAR worse team but he was considered a joke and Baker was the star

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't really take issue with the national media and general public's takes heading into this year, because all that they really knew of Josh was that he was wildly inaccurate and underwhelming (statistically) in college, that his completion percentage was still bad as a pro, and that he freaked out and nearly singlehandedly tried to choke away last year's playoff game.

On the other hand, we had the opportunity to watch all of his games closely and could see a fairly clear progression in his play from his first handful of games to the end of his first season, and a similar progression in year two.  I knew he was a QB we could win with by the end of 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

If they're saying that it's because they're now admitting they were wrong based on their bias and big media perception. They're just hedging their confession and outing themselves as jokes. 

This. There are two common refrains from the media people that have hated on him since day 1:

1) Bills fans were wrong to be optimistic about Allen, he just happened to beat the odds and we got lucky.

2) If Allen had been drafted by the Jets he would be a bust and if Darnold had been drafted by the Bills he would be a star.

So basically they pretend Allen only turned out good because of pure circumstance and luck, rather than admit they were wrong about him being a bust.

I was completely against drafting Allen but even I knew by the end of his first season he was not a bust. It was just a matter of when the improvement would stop. The people that thought he was a bust after year one or two were either jaded beyond repair Bills fans or analysts that clearly didn't watch every game.

I really love the people that say Allen walked into a perfect situation and Brian Daboll is a QB whisperer. Go look at Allen's supporting cast in 2018 and 2019 and see the offenses Daboll had before he had a generational QB and generational WR fall into his lap. People will say anything rather than admit they were just wrong about him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not at all.    It's been a steady progression.   First year got throw in before they wanted but still showed some wow with his legs, dont think anybody was really talking about that pre-draft.   Year 2 showed steady improvement, more TDs than INts, more yards, better completion percentage.    Then in year 3 it all came together.   So its not like in year one and two and you couldn't have doubts about him.